What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drinking the Kool-Aid

blckz28

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Back to #3 on the OP, I use StreamToMe to stream all my music and videos from my media server to my iPad and it works great. It does require a background application to be running on the server so if your NAS doesn't support that then check out FileBrowser. It also supports streaming and has built in AirPlay support.

What about Orb? A program you put your desktop and a website you bookmark on your device and it allows the device to stream media (not just music) to your device from your desktop. I've not tried it on my Ipad but I used to use it on my Dare phone and Omnia phone.
I have gobs of stuff on my Inc so I haven't needed it on it but it works on it too

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

I've used Orb to in the past too, just haven't tried it on the iPad. It works great it you want to stream over the internet and seemed to support a lot of devices.
 
OP
B

BigJim

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
And your point is? Name the handset maker that is selling significantly more smartphone handsets than Apple. We're waiting. Sure, Android in aggregate has more of the market, but Apple has the entire iOS market while the Android market is fragmented amongst. Different suppliers. Windows has a much larger share of the personal compute market but Apple is the number two PC maker. They're probably quite happy with having 100% of the iOS/OS-X market.

Samsung.
Looks like you can stop waiting. In Q3 Samsung sold over 10 million more smartphones than Apple. Samsung sold 27 million, Apple sold 17 million. I'll check back with you after the Q4 results come in.

Samsung surges past Apple in smartphones, upbeat on Q4

(Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co overtook Apple Inc as the world's top smartphone maker in the July-September period with a 44 percent jump in shipments, and forecast strong sales in the current quarter in a clear warning to its rivals.

Shipments of smartphones jumped 44 percent from the preceding quarter to 27.8 million units, up nearly four times from a year ago, according to research firm Strategy Analytics. Apple's iPhone sales shrank by 16 percent to 17.1 million units in the third quarter. Samsung had 23.8 percent of the global smartphone market in the third quarter, 9 points higher than Apple.

Samsung surges past Apple in smartphones, upbeat on Q4 | Reuters
 
Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
1,292
Reaction score
87
Location
Seattle, Washington USA
Samsung's Q3 lead over the iPhone will almost certainly be history in Q4. But frankly, I have to say that rooting for one or another mega corporation to "win" such "contests" reeks of Marx' comment about religion being the opiate of the masses.
 

eltos_lightfoot

iPF Noob
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
South Dakota
Isn't this ipadforums.com? I mean not iphoneforums.com...right? The original poster did use a silly metric like total phones sold as a barometer for overall success so here is mine.

How about if you like the iPhone best you use it. If you like a galaxy S2 best use that. Don't use overall sales as your barometer for the industry though. While Apple has only 4%of the global phone market, it has over 50% of the profit. That is success. I have used both an iPhone 4, but switched to a Bionic to get the unlimited 4G hotspot. Both are good phones so why nitpick? Use what you like...
 

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
79
Location
Utah
In my humble opinion, the iPad is not well received by some customers because they expect it to be just like their Windows or Mac Computer. A handy sized device suitable for replacing their other systems is what they expect and they are bothered when what they bought is not a flat little PC/Mac. It is an iPad, a special device designed to do a handfull of things. I now know it is not a PC, it is an iPad.

These people are dissatisfied when they are forced into thinking like an iPad.

I do not like that my iPad does not do what I want it to do, exactly the way I want it to do what it does. I have retrained my little brain to think like an iPad and I am much happier.
 

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
627
Location
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Bob Maxey said:
In my humble opinion, the iPad is not well received by some customers because they expect it to be just like their Windows or Mac Computer. A handy sized device suitable for replacing their other systems is what they expect and they are bothered when what they bought is not a flat little PC/Mac. It is an iPad, a special device designed to do a handfull of things. I now know it is not a PC, it is an iPad.

These people are dissatisfied when they are forced into thinking like an iPad.

I do not like that my iPad does not do what I want it to do, exactly the way I want it to do what it does. I have retrained my little brain to think like an iPad and I am much happier.

Having dealt with lethal, thinking machines
all of my life, I have to agree with your logic. Be one with the silicon neural pathway. The Zen is now.
AA
 

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
79
Location
Utah

Samsung.
Looks like you can stop waiting. In Q3 Samsung sold over 10 million more smart-phones than Apple. Samsung sold 27 million, Apple sold 17 million. I'll check back with you after the Q4 results come in.

Perhaps one of you wizards can answer my question:

Apparently, Samsung sells more phones than Apple, but Samsung has many models. Not too many different versions of the iPhone available at any given time.

So my admittedly clumsy question is this: how do you parse the numbers and what conclusions do you draw from the headline the OP posted: "In Q3 Samsung sold over 10 million more smartphones than Apple."

Is it fair to say Samsung is "better" than Apple because Apple sells fewer phones than Samsung? Not sure what I am asking. It just seems to me that a company like Apple that has only a few models cannot be compared to a giant that has perhaps 30 or 723 different models. Even with the one or two models Apple offers, they are still selling vast numbers of phones. A company that has one or two phones for sale that still manages to sell as many as Apple sold seems remarkable.

If Samsung only had two models, Well, I'll say it: Apple might kick their arse.

I really hope someone here can make a meaningful question from this mess. Not sure what to say except the headline seems to me to be a bit misleading.
 

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
627
Location
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
What sets Apple apart from ALL of its rivals, is it has been so efficient with its hardware manufacturing it's profit margins
(30%) are massive. That's what counts for investors.

Samsung gets 17%, RIM 16% and HTC 15%. Some manufacturers are operating at a loss.

AA
 

iCrank

iPF Noob
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Location
The bay areA
AdmiralAdama said:
What sets Apple apart from ALL of its rivals, is it has been so efficient with its hardware manufacturing it's profit margins
(30%) are massive. That's what counts for investors.

Samsung gets 17%, RIM 16% and HTC 15%. Some manufacturers are operating at a loss.

AA

Loading....plusone..etcetera..etcetera
 

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
1,556
Reaction score
169
Location
Upstate, NY
AdmiralAdama said:
What sets Apple apart from ALL of its rivals, is it has been so efficient with its hardware manufacturing it's profit margins
(30%) are massive. That's what counts for investors.

Samsung gets 17%, RIM 16% and HTC 15%. Some manufacturers are operating at a loss.

AA

The ones operating at a loss simply make up for it through volume sales. Or something like that. :)
 

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
17,091
Reaction score
747
Location
Cranbrook, Kent, UK
Bob Maxey said:
Perhaps one of you wizards can answer my question:

Apparently, Samsung sells more phones than Apple, but Samsung has many models. Not too many different versions of the iPhone available at any given time.

So my admittedly clumsy question is this: how do you parse the numbers and what conclusions do you draw from the headline the OP posted: "In Q3 Samsung sold over 10 million more smartphones than Apple."

Is it fair to say Samsung is "better" than Apple because Apple sells fewer phones than Samsung? Not sure what I am asking. It just seems to me that a company like Apple that has only a few models cannot be compared to a giant that has perhaps 30 or 723 different models. Even with the one or two models Apple offers, they are still selling vast numbers of phones. A company that has one or two phones for sale that still manages to sell as many as Apple sold seems remarkable.

If Samsung only had two models, Well, I'll say it: Apple might kick their arse.

I really hope someone here can make a meaningful question from this mess. Not sure what to say except the headline seems to me to be a bit misleading.

I'd say that Kia sell more cars than say Ferrari or Bentley......pure numbers doesn't make them better?

The Archangel
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top