What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drinking the Kool-Aid

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
msukc said:
My point is missed. When someone says something like "they are drinking the kool aid". It doesn't mean they are going along on a suicide pact even if the reference originated from that.

No, your point wasn't missed. I was simply pointing out that your dismissal of the previous posters point as being irrelevant was incorrect. It was relevant in that it points out the origin of the phrase and that the origin is in error all at once.

The phrase means blindly following without thought, but it came about because of Jonestown as it was reported that that is what Jones' followers did.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the trouble right there.
"Crippled"

It's not crippled, but your expectations are faulty, based on assumptions about what computers can and can't do.
It's a tablet.
This!

I wonder if you realize that this is a private forum and that we have nothing to do with Apple or any of the products they sell.

This forum exists so that iPad owners (and potential owners) can exchange in formation and ideas that will hopefully maximize the enjoyment and utility of the iPad. So as my esteemed colleague Col.Bris has said, if you come here and start enumerating the perceived "faults" of the iPad in terms of how they do not meet your needs or expectations, then you shouldn't really be surprised by the tone of the answers you have been getting.

And just for the record, all of the followers of Jim Jones that died from being poisoned with a mixture of Valium, chloral hydrate, cyanide, and Phenergan in 1978, drank this "suicide cocktail" mixed with Flavor-Aid, NOT Kool-Aid.

Lets make the apple fans happy by changing the term Kool-Aid to apple jack,or to our UK fans its CIDER.:D

Al.

OP
B

BigJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Catfiend My view is that I was not overly offensive, but more that Apple users proved overly defensive; people can form their own conclusions based on the above. More importantly, your post #14 is the first to directly address the issues I've raised. My question to any willing to discuss this heresy is, how do people get around Apple's control of content just fine? What are good ways to access content over my network? Do I in fact have to convert all my audio and video to Apple's semi-proprietary formats like ALAC and mp4? If we want to address these questions, we shouldn't mince words about what it is and why it is. The danger of this directness is that people will take it personally, and want to talk about me personally, or anything but the actual technical questions.

My second point was related because IMHO it shows a pattern of Apple treating non-Apple standards as second class citizens. And, while we probably don't need to get into that whole discussion, IIRC there are many other examples of Apple (and Microsoft) brutalizing standards. This is actually, one of the main differences from Android. And the specific mechanism is, when we surrender to ALAC or mp4, we've locked ourselves in to Apple. And we may get touchy about discussing that and its downsides.

I confess in another post that the iPad does do enough things that I want, even does them well, and that's why I'm keeping it. But I like to think that in a forum we could discuss some perceived failings, to help people make informed decisions, to look for workarounds, or even that Apple in their infallible wisdom might make some changes some year.

I don't agree with your brushing off my third issue as "doesn't handle my music in my favorite fashion". I view it as a rather more serious and indeed deliberate breach on Apple's part. We've entrusted Apple with sometimes thousands of dollars worth of music. We've trusted iTunes to continue to offer the same functionality. But now the iTunes (or iPod app) on the iPad has removed the ability to access a remote library. Or, maybe you know a technical work-around we could discuss.

Devices running Android encompassed more than half of all U.S. smartphone sales in the fourth quarter of 2010. Android increased its U.S. market share lead to 53 percent as 2010 closed, up 9 percentage points over Q3–Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS slipped 4 percentage points to account for 19 percent of sales, tied with Research In Motion’s (NASDAQ:RIMM) BlackBerry (down 2 percentage points).

According to Wikipedia, "Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a phrase and metaphor, used in the United States and Canada, that means to become a firm believer in something, to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly without critical examination. I also thought it implied a cult-like devotion and closed mindedness, often resulting in ad hominem arguments rather than addressing specific issues.

Last edited:

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BigJim said:
@Catfiend My view is that I was not overly offensive, but more that Apple users proved overly defensive; people can form their own conclusions based on the above. More importantly, your post #14 is the first to directly address the issues I've raised. My question to any willing to discuss this heresy is, how do people get around Apple's control of content just fine? What are good ways to access content over my network? Do I in fact have to convert all my audio and video to Apple's semi-proprietary formats like ALAC and mp4?

"Drinking the Kool Aid", "heresy"? Yep, offensive tone. At least I find it to be so. Both are related to religion/faith at one level or another.

Get around the restrictions by jailbreaking - get your content elsewhere.

BigJim said:
My second point was related because IMHO it shows a pattern of Apple treating non-Apple standards as second class citizens.

Huh? iBooks drops the ball on some silly pdf's and it's a pattern? FWIW, I haven't had a problem with iBooks and PDFs yet but the vast majority of my books - a coupple hundred at last count - are in ePub format and IBooks handles them just fine. Note, ePub isn't some special Apple format.

BigJim said:
And, while we probably don't need to get into that whole discussion, IIRC there are many other examples of Apple (and Microsoft) brutalizing standards. This is actually, one of the main differences from Android. And the specific mechanism is, when we surrender to ALAC or mp4, we've locked ourselves in to Apple. And we may get touchy about discussing that and its downsides.

No problem for me talking about Apple's downsides - I've never owned a Mac or an iPhone. The Apple products I have purchased were purchased with my eyes open to possible issues but I felt that the upsides outweigh the downsides.

BigJim said:
Devices running Android encompassed more than half of all U.S. smartphone sales in the fourth quarter of 2010. Android increased its U.S. market share lead to 53 percent as 2010 closed, up 9 percentage points over Q3–Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS slipped 4 percentage points to account for 19 percent of sales, tied with Research In Motion’s (NASDAQ:RIMM) BlackBerry (down 2 percentage points).

And your point is? Name the handset maker that is selling significantly more smartphone handsets than Apple. We're waiting. Sure, Android in aggregate has more of the market, but Apple has the entire iOS market while the Android market is fragmented amongst. Different suppliers. Windows has a much larger share of the personal compute market but Apple is the number two PC maker. They're probably quite happy with having 100% of the iOS/OS-X market.

BigJim said:
According to Wikipedia, "Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a phrase and metaphor, used in the United States and Canada, that means to become a firm believer in something, to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly without critical examination. I also thought it implied a cult-like devotion and closed mindedness, often resulting in ad hominem arguments rather than addressing specific issues.

Which is why it's considered to be derogatory or offensive.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BigJim said:
@Catfiend My view is that I was not overly offensive, but more that Apple users proved overly defensive; people can form their own conclusions based on the above. More importantly, your post #14 is the first to directly address the issues I've raised. My question to any willing to discuss this heresy is, how do people get around Apple's control of content just fine? What are good ways to access content over my network? Do I in fact have to convert all my audio and video to Apple's semi-proprietary formats like ALAC and mp4? If we want to address these questions, we shouldn't mince words about what it is and why it is. The danger of this directness is that people will take it personally, and want to talk about me personally, or anything but the actual technical questions.

By the by, if you really want answers to questions you're better off to:
- Phrase them as questions.
- Be polite.
- Be concise.

The way that you approached this bears most of the marks of a troll but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The op is yet another example of someone going out and buying something they know nothing about. Then they get upset when it does not meet there expected needs. 20 minutes of research on google and he would have found all of this out.

These are all dead horses and have been beaten to dead long ago.

You have two options, return it or suck it up and deal with it. Now pick one.

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok I'll bite. You don't have to convert your video files to play them. There are several apps that can play all file types. OPlayer HD is a nice litte app for this. If you don't want to conect to itunes all the time you can use Dropbox to transfer files. I'm new to Ipad too. I think it's a great little machine and am having a lot of fun with it. It could never replace my laptop, but that was never it's purpose. There are lots of tips and tricks on this forumn and people willing to give advice. You just need to go about it a little differently.

Last edited:
OP
B

BigJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dlh1970. I'll check out OPlayer and Dropbox. And if you ever want an alternative to iBooks try Bookman, its free. It doesn't support as many formats, but it has a nice bookshelf preview of .pdf files that works better than iBooks.

OP
B

BigJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the by, if you really want answers to questions you're better off to:
- Phrase them as questions.
- Be polite.
- Be concise.

The way that you approached this bears most of the marks of a troll but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Appreciated.

Regarding iTunes, I view it as a rather more serious and indeed deliberate breach on Apple's part. We've entrusted Apple with sometimes thousands of dollars worth of music. We've trusted iTunes to continue to offer the same functionality. But now the iTunes (or iPod app) on the iPad has removed the ability to access a remote library.

Anyway I will pursue this iTunes issue in a different sub-forum.

blckz28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to #3 on the OP, I use StreamToMe to stream all my music and videos from my media server to my iPad and it works great. It does require a background application to be running on the server so if your NAS doesn't support that then check out FileBrowser. It also supports streaming and has built in AirPlay support.

Last edited:
OP
B

BigJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm coping. Appreciate the specific suggestions.

Reaction score
Back to #3 on the OP, I use StreamToMe to stream all my music and videos from my media server to my iPad and it works great. It does require a background application to be running on the server so if your NAS doesn't support that then check out FileBrowser. It also supports streaming and has built in AirPlay support.

What about Orb? A program you put your desktop and a website you bookmark on your device and it allows the device to stream media (not just music) to your device from your desktop. I've not tried it on my Ipad but I used to use it on my Dare phone and Omnia phone.
I have gobs of stuff on my Inc so I haven't needed it on it but it works on it too

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Most reactions

Latest posts