What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloads from Google Drive: pages of code

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just tried downloading from the Google drive. Goog first zips, then downloads, but instead of depositing the items to my iPad, I get a browser full of what looks like the items’ code. Is there a way to have the iPad download the item as the thing that it is - in this case, a PDF?

Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know. I've never downloaded from Google Drive in Safari. I'm surprised that it auto zips the file.

I'm not in a good place to test things right now, but if I don't come back in a day or two with what I find, feel free to nudge me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently I can’t use the Google Drive site if I have the Google Drive app installed. It just redirects me.

For what it is worth, I can’t find a zip (archive) or download command in the app. You just tap on the file and it opens in a tab. You can use the share sheet to save it to files from there.

Afraid that’s all I can do. I’m not willing to uninstall the app to find out what happens. It would mess with other app’s permissions to access Google Drive.

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried to recreate the issue but no success.
On my iPad Pro, which has the google Drive app installed:
If I use Safari, tap on a file, then the three dots, then “download” I get a “scanning for viruses” pop up, then nothing. The file does not get saved to my iPad.
If using the Google Drive app, I don’t even see a download menu choice. No obvious way to do it.

Next I tried using the Files app, which is already linked to my Drive account, and was able to copy and paste from Drive to my iPad’s download folder without any problems.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the case of PDF files and other files that can be displayed in Safari, they will not download. Or they do, they just download and display in Safari. To save them use the Share Sheet and chose Save to Files.

In the case of files that Safari can not display, like docx, then you will be asked if you want to download them. Once they download there will be a download icon, a circle with a down arrow, next to the share sheet icon. Tapping the download icon will show all files you've downloaded that session. Tapping on the file will attempt to open it in a compatible app. Swiping it will let you delete the file.

Or you can go to the Download directory in the Files app. It should show up under Favorites, or in the iCloud Drive folder. That's by default. You can change the destination of downloads in Settings > Safari > Downloads.

If Safari is opening a tab and showing garbage, it is probably because there is something wrong with the file that makes Safari thing it is a displayable file, but the file is either corrupted or has the wrong extension.

At least this is how it works on all other sites I've tried. Like I said before, I can't open Google Drive in Safari, because it always redirects me to the app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No idea when it started, and I’ve never been able to find the setting that turns it off. If I used Google Drive more than I do I’d probably be annoyed. Most of the time I access it though the Sheets or Docs app, and the rest of the time through Files. I rarely go directly to Google Drive.

Most reactions

Latest posts