What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy folder from Google Drive to iPad

ddouglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm using an iPad 2 running iOS 7.1 and I rather not upgrade to iOS 8.3

I want to copy a folder (including sub-folders) from Google Drive to my iPad. I also want this process to be seamless. By seamless I mean: select folder > download. Is this possible? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Afaik it's not possible to copy a whole folder to the iPad, or one of the apps on the iPad.

You're able to open files in another app, though. You'd have to do this with every file in the folder, which will need quite some time, if you have many files there.

Hope that helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible to select and download entire folders from Google Drive in GoodReader; but you can't do much with them there. Other than choose Open In to open them in Google Docs, or another app. (which makes a copy in that app).

In theory you should be able to star a folder in the Google Drive app, and all files and subfolders would be copied to the iPad for offline use. I tried this, and it did not seem to work; but I didn't wait long to test it. I may be the files had not had time to download.

To star a folder, tap the (i) icon next to it and select the star. To test it, wait half an hour or so, put the iPad in Airplane mode, then see if you can view and/or open the files.

I'm going to try this again, later, after I've let the iPad do it's background thing for a while.

I was going to mention iCloud Drive, but since you don't want to upgrade that's not an option. Besides, Google Docs doesn't seem to support it. Though Google Drive does, sort of.

Most reactions

Latest posts