What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we install anything on ipad from other than App Store?

seymoria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the installer of an ipad app on my laptop.

How can I install it on my ipad?

I uploaded it to my Google drive and then accessed my Google drive from my ipad and unsuccessfully tried to download/install the app.

Appreciate your advice.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the installer of an ipad app on my laptop.

How can I install it on my ipad?

I uploaded it to my Google drive and then accessed my Google drive from my ipad and unsuccessfully tried to download/install the app.

Appreciate your advice.

The only legal way to install an app on the iPad is via the AppStore.

In addition, the iPad will only run apps (aka "programs") downloaded from the AppStore. You cannot put them on from the Web or by side loading them (other than via iTunes). It's the way Apple has designed it for security and copyright issues.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The biggest reason that Apple really does not allow for installing IPAs on their devices is not really because of the money issue (though it is part of it), but it's also in part that it can be abused to install unauthorized packages, and could eventually lead to exploits. For the jailbreaking community, that would be the best thing to ever happen. For security purposes, it's a huge flaw that can open your device to others that have malicious purposes.

In a theoretical sense, say that you can install apps on your own, and you download something off the web, and you install it. You won't know what the uploader has done to the package. They could've injected spyware in there, etc, etc. Pirates really only think about the free part of their app and nothing else. Aside from the legality, security is pretty far up the list.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The biggest reason that Apple really does not allow for installing IPAs on their devices is not really because of the money issue (though it is part of it), but it's also in part that it can be abused to install unauthorized packages, and could eventually lead to exploits. For the jailbreaking community, that would be the best thing to ever happen. For security purposes, it's a huge flaw that can open your device to others that have malicious purposes.

In a theoretical sense, say that you can install apps on your own, and you download something off the web, and you install it. You won't know what the uploader has done to the package. They could've injected spyware in there, etc, etc. Pirates really only think about the free part of their app and nothing else. Aside from the legality, security is pretty far up the list.

Well said! Thanks, squib/Diane.

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

Most reactions

Latest posts