What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloaded iOS 4.34 from 4.2 Jailbroken. Question Regarding Deleting Apps.

bfready

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have an iPad that was jail broken before I purchased used. Cydia had always crashed when I tried opening it, so had become used to not using it's jail broken features. Anyways, I upgraded to the latest iOS through iTunes. Everything went fine, but have a question on deleting apps. I was under the impression the only way to delete apps in a non-jail broken iPad, iPhone, etc. Is to sync after deleting on iTunes. I am still able to press and hold an app, wait for it to produce a black "x," and confirm the deletion. Is this possible in the new iOS 4.34 or is my iPad still jail broken. I did not "un-jailbreak," I just upgraded directly to 4.34. Maybe I should have restored rather than upgrade? Other than that, which is convenient anyways, it seems like it upgraded fine.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can, and always have been able to, delete apps directly from the iPad using the wiggle & press the black "X" method. This is on all iterations of iOS for the iPad.

To ensure they stay deleted and don't get put back on the iPad when you sync with iTunes, you can do one of two things:

1) After you attach the iPad, left click on the iPad's line on the left and select "Transfer Purchases." This will tell iTunes to remove the deleted apps from the checked list. This is the easiest method...

2) After you attach the iPad and it has connected, scroll through the apps under the iPad's Apps tab and uncheck the apps you deleted. Then you can click on the apply/sync button. This one's a bit more complicated cause you have to remember which apps you deleted (!).

Hope this helps.

Marliyn

P.S. And, by the way, when you upgraded to iOS 4.3.4 - you did "un" jailbreak...

OP
B

bfready

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You can, and always have been able to, delete apps directly from the iPad using the wiggle & press the black "X" method. This is on all iterations of iOS for the iPad.

To ensure they stay deleted and don't get put back on the iPad when you sync with iTunes, you can do one of two things:

1) After you attach the iPad, left click on the iPad's line on the left and select "Transfer Purchases." This will tell iTunes to remove the deleted apps from the checked list. This is the easiest method...

2) After you attach the iPad and it has connected, scroll through the apps under the iPad's Apps tab and uncheck the apps you deleted. Then you can click on the apply/sync button. This one's a bit more complicated cause you have to remember which apps you deleted (!).

Hope this helps.

Marliyn

P.S. And, by the way, when you upgraded to iOS 4.3.4 - you did "un" jailbreak...

Marliyn,

Thank you for the reply and sorry it took so long for me to respond.

I didn't know about the transfer purchases option. I noticed when I synced (for the first time the other day), it started pushing apps I had back when I owned the iPhone 3G.

I think on the older iOS versions (such as on the 3G), it lacked the ability to delete on the phone itself without jail breaking (take this for what it's worth.. I've been known to be wrong a time or two haha). This is why I assumed it was a jail broken feature on my iPad as well.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts