What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download Old App Versions (Specifically Kindle)

bsarte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - we are trying to repurpose our old iPad 1 for my mother-in-law. Unfortunately, I thought it was a spiffy idea to wipe it before giving it to her... only to realize one of the key apps she needs (Kindle) is only for iOS 6 now... we have it on the iPad before.... but now, I can't re-download it...

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the older version of this (and maybe other?) apps?? There has to be an archive online somewhere... right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple does have a policy of letting you download the latest compatible version of an App to your device, if the app developer allows it. Have you tried to download the Kindle app to the iPad? If Kindle supports downloading earlier versions of it's app, you should see this pop up when attempting a download. Tap the download button in the pop up and the download should start.

image-3638980088.jpg

OP
B

bsarte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - we are trying to repurpose our old iPad 1 for my mother-in-law. Unfortunately, I thought it was a spiffy idea to wipe it before giving it to her... only to realize one of the key apps she needs (Kindle) is only for iOS 6 now... we have it on the iPad before.... but now, I can't re-download it...

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the older version of this (and maybe other?) apps?? There has to be an archive online somewhere... right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes, I have... and it is a no-go... that is what I thought would happen.. that it would revert to an older version of the app since it worked perfectly fine before. I'm trying to restore it from iPad backups we have, but I think they are all from our iPad 2 that we use now... which is iOS 7...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you can't find an old version of the Kindle app on an old backup or in iTunes on your computer, there's nothing that can be done.

_Agility_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can try logging in to iTunes with your old account and search the purchased items, re-downloading might give you the correct version

PJankow475

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the same thing for my Mom, but all my apps were iOS 5.1.1 so I could reload them from my previous purchase. Now she has apps under 3 different logins and passwords since my son had it prior to me. She won't be able to update without knowing all of them, but I figure that there won't be much updating.

Last edited:

_Agility_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for some Apps it also works to purchase them using a PC logging in with the correct account, hit the download button and wait for the download to finish; after logging off log in from the iPad and redownload the app. This time the option to download the app for the existing iOS 5.1.1 may be displayed.
It worked for me with Tapatalk and Dropbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts