What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your iPad 3 heat up excessively?

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not here but there was actually an article online today.. I think it was the Huffington Post that mentioned this was an issue. Several users even got error messages after it became too hot

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, I haven't got my ipad 3 (2-3 weeks shipping, waiting 4 it lol). i have heard there is heat problems about iPad 3. if it is true, I still love it:)

colorado_scott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first iPad. I returned a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and got the new iPad. I'm sure the metal back acts as a huge heat sink. It does get warm for sure. It's noticeable. The Samsung never got warm. It did not have a heavy metal back and was much more comfortable to hold. Also the use is widgets was great on the Samsung. In many ways better than the iPad (IMO), but Andriod allows ads to keep popping up - I hated this. If not for that, I'd return my iPad and get the Samsung. I would expect a software update to reduce heat.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It was a little warm a couple of hours after I first turned it on I think. I guess it can't be too bad since I barely even remember it being warm at all.
I always fully discharge my my iPads/iPhone when I first get them.

Just felt my iPad. It has been running a weather radar program since midnight and it is cool to touch.
I might add that I never took it out of the plastic it came in since I taking it out of the box Friday. I'm waiting for my screen protector and case and don't want it soiled.

dynasty82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Engadget.com just had an article the other day about this. They said it runs 10 degrees hotter Han the iPad2 and that this seems normal and shouldn't become an issue, other than being uncomfortable to hold.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the basic question raised in this thread could also be stated as this: Do you have your iPad3's brightness set excessively high?

:)

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This link requires flash to view the video,not much use if you're using your iPad.
You are probably correct, I have been on my PC all day.
What was found is that in a head to head comparison the new iPad could get about 12 degree hotter.
It was also found that it doesnt' get as hot when plugged into charger.

Last edited:

VizagDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not experience any heat issues. Also, I did not play any graphic intense games or did I have the brightness set to 100%. So far loving the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts