What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does IPad require a base computer?

Patpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my Mom an IPad and was hoping she could turn it on and start using it. But I live in another state, and it looks like she will need to have ITunes running on a PC or Mac, and then plug the IPad into that PC? Is this true? I'm going to order High Speed internet for her from Qwest, which will get a wireless network set up. Will I still need to set up a PC with ITunes for her to get started with the IPad? She is recovering from a serious stroke. I was hoping this would be easy for her to use. I will be visiting her ASAP but would like to get her going before that.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, as soon as you unbox the iPad and turn it on, you get the picture with the "plug into computer" instruction. You need to set it up with iTunes. The alternative is to take it to an Apple store and have them help you get started. But that's probably not an option for your mom. Hope she recovers well! The iPad has Accessibility options that might make it easier for her to use the iPad. Check them out.

Most reactions