What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No incoming video on Skype app on iPad 2

theferret

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi my wife is in canada with her iPad2 and we are trying to skype form my pc to her iPad. Sound is no problem and I can see her video, but she cannot see mine. I have tested my webcam by logging in to her pc across the desk and calling skype pc-to-pc and works fine so I know I am broadcasting a video signal. I am assuming the Skype App can handle incoming video so is there a setting somewhere that she needs to change to allow the video link?

Thanks for any advice. Of course would have been smart to sort it out beofre she left!!!

Mike

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible for her to check the bandwidth of the connection she is using? Skype will automatically prioritise audio if the bandwidth is poor and disables video under these conditions.

Tim

OP
T

theferret

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi tim dumb question but how does she do that? Can you override the audio priority?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - if it is that problem, you can't override it - it's inherent in the encoding protocol - which assumed you wouldn't want video and no audio.

Is she able to measure the bandwidth of the connection to the Internet - there are several websites that will let you do that - to see what actual data rate she's getting, in case it's something entirely different. To get reasonable video you'll need about 2 Mbps.

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speedtest X HD from the App Store will check the bandwidth. I use it if/when I get any problems which may be affected by bandwidth.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi my wife is in canada with her iPad2 and we are trying to skype form my pc to her iPad. Sound is no problem and I can see her video, but she cannot see mine. I have tested my webcam by logging in to her pc across the desk and calling skype pc-to-pc and works fine so I know I am broadcasting a video signal. I am assuming the Skype App can handle incoming video so is there a setting somewhere that she needs to change to allow the video link?

Thanks for any advice. Of course would have been smart to sort it out beofre she left!!!

Mike

When I tested skype on my ipod, I had a similar issue where I could see my friend, but I couldn't see myself in the small box. I realized that the camera was facing away and not towards me. I quickly toggled the switch and it worked. Do you think that may be part of it? However, now reading your post in more detail-that does not seem to be the problem...Hope you find the solution-I would be interested since I, too would like to skype on my ipad.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts