What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Apple have a buy back policy/program?

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bought the wife an iPad2 16G WiFi about 6 weeks ago. She likes it, but she doesn't use it that much due to it not supporting Flash.

So I had thought about getting her a Mac Air, but hate to spend the $1200 plus for the 13.3" screen model after just laying out $500 for the iPad.

Wondering if anyone knows if Apple has a trade-in/trade-up policy.

Thanks.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tawcat said:
Bought the wife an iPad2 16G WiFi about 6 weeks ago. She likes it, but she doesn't use it that much due to it not supporting Flash.

So I had thought about getting her a Mac Air, but hate to spend the $1200 plus for the 13.3" screen model after just laying out $500 for the iPad.

Thanks.

Did she not know about not having Flash before purchase?

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whether she knew or not is not the issue and it really is not an issue.

She loves the iPad and loves her Flash driven games as well. I'm just trying to be a good hubby and figure a Mac Air would be the best of both worlds for her.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MacBook air is great. But it's not the same user experience as the iPad. I would suggest taking her to an apple store to try the MBA out. If she likes it better sell the pad and go with that. Although she may end up wanting both which is what I have. Do you guys have a PC at home that she can game on then she could use the iPad for web consumption and videos.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes she has a Dell laptop which weighs more than I do. Reason for my quest.

Thanks!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.
Apple has a buy-back offer now and then when they offer a new product. They are buying back iPhones right now, but AFAIK not iPads. You could approach the folks at the Apple store, but my guess is that although they generally bend over backwards to take care of folks, their return policy doesn't extend to six weeks so they may not be able to give you a break. You could try to see if they'll allow it with a hefty restocking fee.

I love my iPad, but I get where your wife is coming from...not so much about Flash as I really don't miss it, but versatility. You might want to have another look at the 11" Macbook Air. I bought mine the day it came out and can't imagine not having it. I looked closely at the 13" MBA but couldn't get past the terrific size and how light the 11" is...not a lot bigger or heavier than the iPad (not to mention the price difference...although I upgraded everything so my 11" MBA came out to be about the same as the base 13").

With Lion's full-screen viewing and the awesome screen resolution the 11" MBA is really very hard to beat at $999 (looks like Best Buy and B&H Photo have it for $939). You could also consider a refurb...they carry the same one-year warranty and are eligible for Apple Care which extends the warranty to three years. Refurbished MacBook Air 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

One of the great benefits of Apple products is that they hold their value quite well. You should be able to sell your iPad on Craigslist or ebay for a pretty good price if that's what you decide to do.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Apple has a buy-back offer now and then when they offer a new product. They are buying back iPhones right now, but AFAIK not iPads. You could approach the folks at the Apple store, but my guess is that although they generally bend over backwards to take care of folks, their return policy doesn't extend to six weeks so they may not be able to give you a break. You could try to see if they'll allow it with a hefty restocking fee.

I love my iPad, but I get where your wife is coming from...not so much about Flash as I really don't miss it, but versatility. You might want to have another look at the 11" Macbook Air. I bought mine the day it came out and can't imagine not having it. I looked closely at the 13" MBA but couldn't get past the terrific size and how light the 11" is...not a lot bigger or heavier than the iPad (not to mention the price difference...although I upgraded everything so my 11" MBA came out to be about the same as the base 13").

With Lion's full-screen viewing and the awesome screen resolution the 11" MBA is really very hard to beat at $999 (looks like Best Buy and B&H Photo have it for $939). You could also consider a refurb...they carry the same one-year warranty and are eligible for Apple Care which extends the warranty to three years. Refurbished MacBook Air 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

One of the great benefits of Apple products is that they hold their value quite well. You should be able to sell your iPad on Craigslist or ebay for a pretty good price if that's what you decide to do.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks so much, might be the way I have to go. Think I need to get her to the Apple store with me and go from there.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Post Your Pet. Definitely go there! We love our pets. I love spaniels too!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks.

I don't know if this will fill the bill or not, but you may want to try the Splashtop Streamer app for the flash-based games. I use it to read mags and web pages that use flash--works pretty well. You install a small app on your PC, in your case the Dell laptop, and another on the iPad. You have to have both running at the same time, of course. I'm not a gamer, so I don't know how well it would work. It's not that expensive as I recall, but again, may be worth a try instead of buying a new laptop.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if this will fill the bill or not, but you may want to try the Splashtop Streamer app for the flash-based games. I use it to read mags and web pages that use flash--works pretty well. You install a small app on your PC, in your case the Dell laptop, and another on the iPad. You have to have both running at the same time, of course. I'm not a gamer, so I don't know how well it would work. It's not that expensive as I recall, but again, may be worth a try instead of buying a new laptop.

Thanks so much for the tip, Splashtop is the ticket and I got it on sale! My wife is thrilled.

Most reactions

Latest posts