What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

portnoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a relatively recent convert to Apple. I began using computers in 1984 with an Atari 800xl. I replaced that I think in 1987 with an Amiga 2000 which I replaced in 2000 with a pc I built. I still have that pc although it's on its third motherboard/processor/ram and everything else inside the case has been replaced at least once. I use that thing mainly to rip disks for a small media server I have networked. I have had several Macs over the years. A Mac 512k, an SE30 and a Mac II, but I was never really very impressed with them even though I did like them. When I wanted to buy an MP3 player the people I knew warned me not to get an iPod, because they suck. So I bought a Creative Zen Sleek Photo, which over time I decided did in fact suck. I bought an iPod Classic 80 which I really liked a lot (my wife uses it now). I was having a really bad pc day (always either spending time straightening problems with mine or those of family members) when I daughter called saying she needed to buy a laptop and asked which she should buy. I told her "Anything but Windows, get a Macbook". She bought the Macbook and would bring it over showing it off and I got really fond of it. A year passes and I can't help but notice that she never calls for computer help. Never. I decide to replace my winxp laptop and buy myself a new macbook pro, giving the windows laptop to my wife. She never uses it, using my new Macbook Pro instead. So I give that to her, give my old WinXP laptop to my sister and buy myself another new Macbook Pro. Sister uses my old laptop for a few months, gives it back and orders herself a new Macbook Air. At this point I sell the old laptop at a garage sale. During this time I buy myself a new iPod Touch 4G 32g. For Christmas my daughter bought me a new iPad2 32G WiFi. Long story short I am a Mac user. And I'm liking it. I'm still learning things though. I've joined the local Mac Usergroup, LAMALUG in Lansing, MI. I guess that's about all.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

That's a great intro, a really good read.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Michigander-Portnoy:
Welcome to the Forum!! Wow, you really converted over to Apple products. I think that I am starting to convert myself!! You will love this forum-there are so many kind members willing to help!!

Enjoy!! :eek:

OP
portnoy

portnoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I take great pride in is that although I'd had pc's for a decade or so, I did it with os's that were not contributing to m$. Either "borrowed" copies or used ones. The taxes I've paid in purchases from Apple are orders of magnitude greater than all the money m$ ever got out of me. I think I may have been an "Apple fanboy" for 10 years before I actually bought an Apple product.

Most reactions