What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone use thier ipad as a tool for IT support?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By tool I mean is there a way to use an iPad for lights out terminal connection, serial connections? How can you use it if you have no wifi access?
I've been fooling around with File+ for FTP transfers. But without wifi in the office and in many cases no 3G service it's useless.
Can some one enlighten me or confirm my thoughts,
What apps are some recommend apps? Anything available for sniffer traces?
Are ther any special adapters I could use.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was hoping to go minimal as possible. I would like to be able to run background test, wireshark, file and log file transfers. It doesn't look like the iPad will help me much I this area which is to bad.

Cheers

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine to perform remote support functions regularly. There are apps that allow your iPad to access windows based machines or in my case iSeries midrange systems via 5250 emulation,

Their are a number of other emulators available (unix for example) that I do not use but have seen in action by others in our IT department that support these platforms.

Unfortunately all require wireless connectivity into the network. It sounds like you seek a a solution for a wired connection.

Check out application Get Console which utilizes an adapter for a wired connection.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice! This is exactly what I was looking for, however a $60.00 cable ouch. I wish I could try it out first.

Most reactions

Latest posts