What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

• You regret NOT purchasing 3G/4G

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Your happy with Wifi only

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Your happy with 3G

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • You regret purchasing 3G/4G

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Granitetop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning friends,
I have just read the new members introduction page and already have found answers to some of my thoughts. I have a question regarding more opinion than a problem, I have just purchased a ipad 3 with wifi only i have not opened the box, my question is; do many people have regrets not having purchased the 3g models when they have wifi only? Most of the time I am near wifi but i have a 10 year old son that would love to use it plus I have a heating and air business and I imagine the pad would allow me to show home owners things on the internet when I am talking with them. I do not like the idea of another phone bill and i do not understand the data plans. I am in Charlotte NC and I am 50 years old I am ok with computers but I did not grow up with them, any info will be helpful and thank you.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Granitetop and welcome to our Forum!

I thought your question a good one and as you posted in an ongoing thread I thought it best to give your post it's own thread so members may answer your question. We can even make this a Poll if you like?

I myself purchased a 3G and am so glad I did. The kids have finally grown up so we are traveling more and I have to say that the 3G has saved me so much more than its price in saved Hotel Wifi daily fees and I only top up my sim when I know I'm going to need it. A big plus with the 3G is the full feature GPS navigation and you don't even need the sim charged for this at all.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to a report, only about 1.5% of new iPads are on a data plan. I doubt the accuracy of this report, but to me, 3G/4G service is essential. I am on the road too much to function on wifi only. Without cell service, I may be more inclined to go with a MacBook Air. I love my iPad, but cell service make it whole.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 3 wifi yesterday. I don't ever regret not buying a 3G/4G because I have the ability to tether from my iPhone 4s. So I can still browse the web anywhere anyway and saved myself a few quid.

Sent from my iPad 3

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning friends, [...snipped a whole bunch to bring attention to this sentence...]
I do not understand the data plans.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits here.

I am one of the people who buys "just in case." So, I have a 64GB new iPad with the 4G. I don't really know if I'll ever use it as the iPad isn't leaving the house (I have an iPhone for that). But, you never know... Plus, you can't change your mind and upgrade the innards of the iPad you do have, which is why I got the biggest memory one with the 4G. Changing your mind means you'd have to get a whole new unit...

That said, I wanted to talk more about what you mentioned above. If you pay the $130 extra to buy the 4G iPad, you don't ever have to pay any more. The data plans are pay-as-you go and you buy them in 30-day pieces. Here's a handy chart for the two US companies (sorry, but I can't talk about any other countries than the US):

View attachment 12185

The key to remember is that you don't have to activate the 4G. Then, if you do, you only have to buy a 30-day chunk. As long as you cancel the plan before the 30 days is over, you won't get charges any more time. I know people who buy a 30 day piece and then cancel it right away. The 30 days is yours even if you cancel it right away. So, it's very handy to use if you are going on a vacation.

The hardest part is deciding which iPad to get (again, in the USA), the Verizon or the AT&T one. But, usually, people just pick the one that works best in their area.

Again, speaking as me, I would regret not getting a 4G version (or a 3G version of the iPad2). Cause I just never know what the future holds. But, that's just me and YMMV.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to admit that I was very anti 3G when I bought my iPad 2...so I got the Wifi only. But now that there is 4G...and it is FAST where I live, my only regret is I actually want it. Sometimes being ignorant is good for you.

If I do managed to turn off my 4G after a month or two, I will still be happy I paid extra because I like having a GPS chip in my iPad. It can be used for a lot of things when on travel. The combination of 4G and GPS on an iPad is a powerful spoiler.

If you have a business, then it seems like you can make your 4G iPad a business tool and write these expenses off. Showing customers stuff when out and about will probably be good for business. It might pay for itself. Only you can judge. I wish I had that excuse.

Plan B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 4G from Verizon. I bought the 5GB plan. For me, it has been indispensable thus far. I do plan to monitor my usage with the possible intent of going down to the 2GB plan to save $20...so we'll see.

WIFI is great and covers 90% of my usage, but really, for that remaining 10%, there's simply no way could I sacrifice connectivity on my iPad because I've already been able to remotely (away from home) check email, google for stuff, show people driving directions, and so forth...all from this nice big screen, which is huge compared even to my Droid X, which has a pretty big screen for a phone.

The Droid X could do hotspot tethering via 3G but I didn't activate that on the phone, and now the phone is nearly 2 years old. Anyhow, for the phone, the 3G has been fine for some time now.

When the next iPhone comes out, I plan to re-assess and decide on a new phone, possibly iPhone. At that time, I will decide what to do as far as my data plan .. keep it on the iPad, activate it on the phone, keep 3G on the phone for occasional web use, or whatever. I'll figure all that out when I get to that bridge, but for now I could not do without 4G on my iPad and I could not do without at least 3G on my phone for the occasional Google search or turn-by-turn directions when the iPad would be too cumbersome to deal with from the driver's seat.

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. Thanks to pdanet wifi hotspot and my jailbroken 4s. Not as fast as 4g but gets the job done.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I sort of regretted it when I bought my Ipad one almost two years ago but we took advantage of Verizon offering the Palm Pre with free mobile hot spot for two years at same time as buying Ipad. I used it mostly when traveling or out of our area where we have wifi so many places. He now has bought an Iphone and opted for no mobile hot spot and I bought the Ipad 3 64GB with 3/4G this time and very happy I did. I only chose the 1 GB data plan and use it sparingly since most places I find wifi but will up that amount when traveling. So no regrets this time.

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay extra for an ipad with 3G. I use my Verizon mi-fi which supports 5 devices using it at one time. 3G wouldn't allow me to use my wireless printer without another plan. I can use it when we travel and take it with me when we are gone for 2 months at a time and not have to pay wireless charges back home. I also can connect my computer to it plus my husband can use it at the same time for his computer.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention that the Verizon Ipad can act as a mobile hot spot for up to 5 devices. Unlikely I will use this as I don't carry my laptop any more for travel and generally stay where they have free wifi but its possible.

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Granitetop said:
Good morning friends,
I have just read the new members introduction page and already have found answers to some of my thoughts. I have a question regarding more opinion than a problem, I have just purchased a ipad 3 with wifi only i have not opened the box, my question is; do many people have regrets not having purchased the 3g models when they have wifi only? Most of the time I am near wifi but i have a 10 year old son that would love to use it plus I have a heating and air business and I imagine the pad would allow me to show home owners things on the internet when I am talking with them. I do not like the idea of another phone bill and i do not understand the data plans. I am in Charlotte NC and I am 50 years old I am ok with computers but I did not grow up with them, any info will be helpful and thank you.

I have an iPad wifi only. I considered getting 3G at the time I bought my iPad, and chose NOT to get it. I'm very happy with wifi only and do not miss the 3G at all. Like you, I did not need another cell phone bill. Also, remember that the 3G signal will be bouncing of off cell towers. Depending on where you go, your internet connection might be spotty at best. Besides more and more places are becoming wifi accessible. If you have wifi only, you should be just fine.

FYI, I'm 45 years old.

Most reactions

Latest posts