What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret not getting 3G?

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped me this week. I'm certain that I will be selling my Kindle to buy a 32 gb iPad from the Apple Store. The last part of the equation is wifi or wifi with 3G. Many have said they love the 3G because it helps them in spots without wifi. Others have told me that it's a waste of money since my house is wifi and I am home more than not.

I want to know if anyone without 3G regrets that decision and find themselves in empty spots without wifi, whether it's at work, traveling, or a friend's house.

Thanks again!

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cant open mine till christmas, but already know its 3g. We pretty much pick our own presents in my family. Alls I can say is that even though I have wifi at home, if the Ipad didnt have 3g capability, I wouldnt want it. I want to be able to get onto the net regardless of where Im at and when ever I want. Otherwise, whats the point?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 3GS and I can't think of any thing else. In my country we have a lot of wifi spots, but not every where. The GPS that comes with it is extra, but handy. Got 5Giga for a little more than 10$ a month.

Last edited:

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don`t have the 3g model and don`t think I would use it if I did.

I`m not that mobile with my computing, I`m either at home or work.
If I`m going out somewhere I don`t generally need a computer.

However I`m a guy who barely has a use for a cell phone so take it with a grain of salt.

:)

felicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Franlky... Y to spend 100€ more when U can have a mifi device that U can use also with yr smartphone (and laptop, as I do while sailing) for 80e or less? and it doesn't take such a big space ...

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont regret it, ATT service here sucks big time, so was not worth spending the money on a 3G version, and at the time, verizon didnt sell it.

s00paSold3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 3g and I stopped the service because its slow and a waste of $25 a month. I have a android phone that does the hopspot soi'm selling my 3g to get a wifi and save some money...

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
3G is non existant where I live.. Even the Edge service is marginal. (The nearest tower is 10 miles away). But I got a 3G unit anyway.

The dedicated GPS receiver they put in the 3G version makes it a bit more versatile than the WiFi... You get extremely accurate location accuracy even with WiFi and 3G turned off.. I don't know why they didn't put GPS in the WiFi version. I would have regretted buying a strictly WiFi iPad.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ditto what kingsmuse said! I use my cell phone so little my daughter in CA has offered to add me as a second line! When I go to trade shows, the hotels have wifi. Enroute I can read a book or play games. I don't need the Internet available every minute to get plenty of use from my iPad.

Protegeone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi only here too and I don't regret it a bit.
Hotspots are everywhere, most of them being free, I don't feel the higher
price justified.
Specially that I already have a mifi, with which I can simulataneously cater for my laptop and iPad :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
2 wifi only here. Lots of free hot spots around but we also have mobile hot spot on phone with Verizon. AT&T is iffy in our area in many places also. If we didn't have mobile hotspot would probably buy Myfi from Verizon but using wifi at home and most every place I want to (even our grocery store has wifi) we really only use the mobile hotspot in the car occasionally.

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I definitely regret it. Matter of fact as soon as I get off work im going to replace my 16gb wifi with the 32gb 3g/wifi. I need 3g for emergencies. I have tether on my htc EVO, but it isnt always reliable and I hate that when im tethering if I receive a phone call, there goes my wifi on the ipad. Drives me insane. Besides $25 a month isnt really much, I need 3g immediately lol. :D

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did get 3G, I just have not activated it. So far I have no need for 3G so I regret getting it.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 3G and wouldn't change it at all. I love the fact that the Internet is always available no matter what. The GPS (with MotionX) is a great addition, especially when I am in the road for work.

From my iPad.

Most reactions