What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have to 'Jail-Break' my IPad in order to......

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
......read certain PDF and Epub files on it?

I have PDF manuals for my Yamaha MotifXF7 synthesizer, Yamaha AW1600 Digital Recorder, and one on Photoshop Layers (to name a few), that I simply CANNOT get to show up on my IPad. They are there, in the iTunes library window, but that's it. I have tried syncing and re-syncing a number of times, but no amount of effort - on my part - will get these files to show up.

So, is Jail-Breaking the answer?

Drak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what are you using to view them with ?
do yourself a favor and get GoodReader, best PDF viewer for the iPad
not sure about the ePub files, sry

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I am using the free 'iBook' reader, from the App Store.

Though the iBook reader was free - and without all the bells & whistles of the (likely) much more embodied GoodReader app, that one must pay for - I assumed that it would certainly serve the basic function for what it was intended, and written for: allowing the ability to read eBook files.

I have no problem paying the $3.99 or $4.99 asking price for the GoodReader App (if memory serves me correct, it was one of those prices), because the amount isn't such that would cause my wallet to enter into an anorexic state :). But I wouldn't want to find myself being faced with the same dilemma after that App, either.

EPub files are really a non-issue, because I can convert them to PDF in Calibre.

Last edited:

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I am using the free 'iBook' reader, from the App Store.

Though the iBook reader was free - and without all the bells & whistles of the (likely) much more embodied GoodReader app, that one must pay for - I assumed that it would certainly serve the basic function for what it was intended, and written for: allowing the ability to read eBook files.

I have no problem paying the $3.99 or $4.99 asking price for the GoodReader App (if memory serves me correct, it was one of those prices), because the amount isn't such that would cause my wallet to enter into an anorexic state :). But I wouldn't want to find myself being faced with the same dilemma after that App, either.

EPub files are really a non-issue, because I can convert them to PDF in Calibre.

Do yourself a BIG favor and get a Dropbox account (free) and the Dropbox app (also free). Just drop your pdf's in your Dropbox and access them on the iPad. It's much easier than iTunes. If you have a pdf reader on your iPad, it should open it right up. I use Goodreader, for what it's worth (great program).

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Do yourself a BIG favor and get a Dropbox account (free) and the Dropbox app (also free). Just drop your pdf's in your Dropbox and access them on the iPad. It's much easier than iTunes. If you have a pdf reader on your iPad, it should open it right up. I use Goodreader, for what it's worth (great program).

You know something? Right after I responded to Drak's reply, I went to take another look at GoodReader. As it turned out, it was even a dollar less than the lowest amount I had stated in my previous post. It stated something about reading anything, anywhere - and that is what prompted me to take a chance on it. I am so glad that I did. It wasn't a drag & drop method, by which to get my files in there, but they are there - and THAT is the most important thing :).

Now, you made mention of a free DropBox account & DropBox App, and I am assuming that this App would allow drag & dropping of files. Yes?

By the way - Thanks very much.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I must correct something that was stated in my previous post. In GoodReader there IS Drag & Drop capability (mainly for the benefit of someone else coming along, who may need to know that).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you decide you still want to use iBooks to read your pdf manuals:

Assuming that you just put the books in iTunes, right click on the book in iTunes and select Get Info. Go to the Options tab and make sure the Kind Book. This will move them to the Books section of your library if it isn't already there.

Now, with your device connected to the computer, select it from the devices list in iTunes. Go to the Books page and make sure that your books are set to sync. You can sync all books, or just selected ones. You can also choose to sync any audio books.

The other way to add pdf files to iBooks is to use the file share feature. With your iPad connected and selected in iTunes, go to the Apps page. At the bottom is the File Sharing section. Select the iBooks app from the list, then add the books you want either by drag and drop or the Add button.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you decide you still want to use iBooks to read your pdf manuals:

Assuming that you just put the books in iTunes, right click on the book in iTunes and select Get Info. Go to the Options tab and make sure the Kind Book. This will move them to the Books section of your library if it isn't already there.

Now, with your device connected to the computer, select it from the devices list in iTunes. Go to the Books page and make sure that your books are set to sync. You can sync all books, or just selected ones. You can also choose to sync any audio books.

The other way to add pdf files to iBooks is to use the file share feature. With your iPad connected and selected in iTunes, go to the Apps page. At the bottom is the File Sharing section. Select the iBooks app from the list, then add the books you want either by drag and drop or the Add button.

AW Man......so it seems that I was missing a few steps, and that it (iBooks) functions very similar to 'GoodBooks'. Had I know that, I would not have shelled out for the latter APP. But that's OK. I am sure that there are some features available in GoodBooks, that are not in iBooks. Thanks.

hapishap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get Goodreader for pdf's and give Stanza a try for epub (it's free and I like it much better than iBooks)

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get Goodreader for pdf's and give Stanza a try for epub (it's free and I like it much better than iBooks)

Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded it, and it does look promising.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free urself from the chains of itunes! Jailbreak, then install ifiles from cydia. All file transfering problems solved with out need for itunes. Good reader is great also but not as intense as ifiles. Ifiles is the only true file explorer on a jailbroken ipad ;-)

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am seriously considering 'jail breaking' my iPad, but I really have to do a bit more researching on it. I worry about the possibility of not being able to effectuate a restoration, in the event of a problem. I wonder if this is what the term 'Bricking' is in reference to.

Though I absolutely love my iPad, I really don't care for iTunes. When I had an IPod I was so happy to find that Media Monkey could handle my needs with it. If jail breaking my iPad would mean that I could really divorce myself from iTunes, then It will be an almost certainty that I just may take the chance. We'll see :).

Most reactions