What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have question on thumbnails or lack of them in apps on Ipad

Tdhcsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After researching, I found the answer to my own question.

FTP transfer isn't able to display thumbnails unless it downloads the file and then generates one. It seems that on a couple of applications the programers have found a way to generate a thumbnail without downloading the entire file first although it's not very fast.

I used a file application called 'FileBrowser' that seemed to display thumbnails without downloading first but I was wrong. The application I mentioned downloads a file the first time you access it and then holds the thumbnail on the Ipad until your maximum is reached and then drops the older ones. What that does is make for instant access of thumbnails. You can set the number pf thumbnails stored from 1,000 up to 10,000. By storing previously accessed file thumbnails you essentially have them for instant access. A very good way around the FTP thumbnail issue.

Original Post

I like thumbnails of jpg's, pdf's and documents. Photo icons are absolutely necessary, especially if you don't rename every photo. I have couple of websites I maintain and now a Synology NAS in the house that I'm setting up. I'm also using a couple of cloud services that in honesty I may drop when I figure out the NAS better.

My problem is with thumbnails on the Ipad. In some applications I can see image thumbnails and in others I don't. Thumbnail representations most always show up if it's on the Ipad but when accessing the NAS or a remote ftp,, on some apps, photo thumbnails just show an icon with jpg, pdf or other on a box.. Dropbox jpg images show up in their app but may not in others. There is a file app, 'Filebrowser' that shows my Synology jpg and PDF icons as photos (wonderful) but a favorite file app of mine, 'Ifiles' which I want to use as my primary file app doesn't. (terrible) Drives me a bit crazy.

This post is really a rant. I just don't understand why there is so much inconformity it's like plumbing.

Is there something I may not be doing to cause this or is it just programing (or sloppy programing) and I need to deal with it.

Thanks for any input.

Dan

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Different apps, different developer, different features. Best advice: pick the apps that work as you want them to.

OP
T

Tdhcsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be happy to pay handsomly for an app that someone took the time to develop well. Unfortunately, if it's a programing issue all the apps are lacking what I'm sure many feel is an important issue.

Using different apps because there isn't one single app that organizes files well means that there isn't any well designed app in the store. You would think there would be. Especially if there are people that would pay.

Rant, rant,

Dan

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like thumbnails of jpg's, pdf's and documents. Photo icons are absolutely necessary, especially if you don't rename every photo. I have couple of websites I maintain and now a Synology NAS in the house that I'm setting up. I'm also using a couple of cloud services that in honesty I may drop when I figure out the NAS better.

My problem is with thumbnails on the Ipad. In some applications I can see image thumbnails and in others I don't. Thumbnail representations most always show up if it's on the Ipad but when accessing the NAS or a remote ftp,, on some apps, photo thumbnails just show an icon with jpg, pdf or other on a box.. Dropbox jpg images show up in their app but may not in others. There is a file app, 'Filebrowser' that shows my Synology jpg and PDF icons as photos (wonderful) but a favorite file app of mine, 'Ifiles' which I want to use as my primary file app doesn't. (terrible) Drives me a bit crazy.

This post is really a rant. I just don't understand why there is so much inconformity it's like plumbing.

Is there something I may not be doing to cause this or is it just programing (or sloppy programing) and I need to deal with it.

Thanks for any input.

Dan

First, thanks for posting this query. I, too, love the iFiles app (it's my main files management and storage app - love it!) and I was always angered that I couldn't see thumbnail views. So, your question made me start pushing buttons in the app. And, I found a way to show thumbnails within the app.

Now, I don't know if this will help you, but here is what I did to show thumbnails in the iFiles app:

(1) Go to the iFiles app settings:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365698537.858772.jpg

(2) Go to the File Browser settings:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365698574.587889.jpg

(3) "Flip" a switch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365698605.083302.jpg

(4) Ta da!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365698623.050585.jpg

Again, I hope this helps. It sure has made me a happier iFiles user! :)

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using different apps because there isn't one single app that organizes files well means that there isn't any well designed app in the store. You would think there would be. Especially if there are people that would pay.

I think this is an over-generalization.

OP
T

Tdhcsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Respectively disagree,

The entire ipad experience is a heavily 'visual' experience. To have 1,000 photos that only show up with a blank icon and an indecipherable name is unacceptable. (imho).

if Dropbox, Sugarsync, File Explorer & FileBrowser show photo icons there's no reason a paid for app shouldn't be able to do it as well. Ifiles is so close to being really good it's a shame.

Over generalization on what? There are countless good apps in the store, just not a really good app for file retrieval.

Dan

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Respectively disagree,

The entire ipad experience is a heavily 'visual' experience. To have 1,000 photos that only show up with a blank icon and an indecipherable name is unacceptable. (imho).

if both Dropbox and Sugarsync show photo icons there's no reason a paid for app shouldn't be able to do it as well.

Over generalization on what?

There isn't any well designed app in the store? First, iPad is not file-centric, so seeing all files from any apps as icons is not likely to happen. Second, not all apps deal with showing photos, so they have no need for thumbnails. So suggesting that there are no well designed apps in a store with close to a million apps is a strain. Most of us have only used 300 or 400, tops, and most of that is superficial.

OP
T

Tdhcsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

Unfortunately that switch has been in the on position from the beginning. What gets me is that both Sugarsync and Dropbox show photo icons but none of my FTP servers or Synology NAS does. It's interesting that the application 'FileBrowser' shows them all. I'm not a programer but you would think that it would be a no brainer to include since it can obviously be done.

I've sent an email request to Ifiles asking about it but no response. I think I'll send another. They seem to have dropped support from their website,,,,,, interesting as they keep updating the app.

Thanks again for the response.

Dan

OP
T

Tdhcsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'No Good File App in the Store'. A good file application should by default give you all the information you need to access files. Not showing a visual interpretation of a file when it obviously can be done is an application that is lacking needed features. There isn't one file application I've found I'm truly happy with for the Ipad.

There are countless good apps in the store, just not a 'very' good file access one. Only a lot of somewhat OK file applications.

Dan

Most reactions