What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dislike Google News iPad Format

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to trick Google into loading the regular PC version of it's main news page instead of the iPad version. For me it just seems to look "cooler" with less needed news.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kippyw said:
Is there a way to trick Google into loading the regular PC version of it's main news page instead of the iPad version. For me it just seems to look "cooler" with less needed news.

Have you tried going to Google through Safari? Here you can have Tablet or Classic view, bottom right.

If you prefer this, you can put an icon on your homescreen by pressing the arrow emerging from a box icon, top left.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I got tired of Google messing with its Google Reader page. Some of the features were better, but I found the view less appealing. So, I got a third-party RSS reader app that syncs with Google Reader.

I'm using Reeder by Readdle. There are several others with a wide range of styles, from magazine-like layouts to old fashioned columns.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gosh....I think I did too! ;)

And I just assume you were right, since a desktop/mobile link exists on so many of Google's services; but it looks like it does not for Google News.

@ OP:

I did a bit of digging, and you can revert to the old mobile site. It's a bit more like the desktop site.

Tap the settings (gear/cog) icon at the top right (in the dark gray menu bar) and choose Settings; then uncheck Use the New Google News. You can also adjust the mix of Blog and Press Releases here. Tap Save Changes when done. I find the new view cooler, but the old one quicker to navigate. Not that I use either on a daily basis.

As an alternative, if you you want the actually desktop site, you can use a third party browser that can be sign (lie) itself as a desktop browser. Atomic is an excellent, simple, and cheap choice. iCab Mobile will do the same thing, and has a lot of other feature and experience controls.

Other than the menu bar and some other minor controls, there does not appear to be a lot of difference between the older mobile site and the desktop version.

Last edited:
OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input...the iCab browser my all time favorite.

Most reactions

Latest posts