What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google news location

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once again technology has me baffled (not difficult, but still). Until yesterday, when I opened Safari to use Google and look at news, from the drop down menu under More, I was able to read the local news for my area. Fine! Then, all of a sudden, instead of displaying the area, town, where I live, I am shown a city 200 miles away! Hello, what is happening? For no reason at all the settings have changed. I have tried to personalise them but when I put in the relevant information, I am told that the location is unknown. Apparently, my location now doesn't exist whereas before I was able to access news on it. Very strange and frustrating. I have not altered any settings nor downloaded any apps. My iPad is 3rd generation, Wi-Fi only, 32gb. I have gone through the motions with Google to no avail. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as I have now run out of options what to do. As an aside, from time to time the settings i.e personalised ring tones, on my mobile, a Blackberry (never again) keep changing for no apparent reason. I dislike intensely, hate is too strong a word, the way so called technology dictates to us.
Thanks in advance as I know there is some kind soul out there who may be able to enlighten me.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure, so this won't help, but my phone used to pick up the place 4 miles from where I work as my location, now it picks up a town of 25 people 45 miles away as local for events and weather. Just started Thursday / Friday. Don't know if it is the same issue.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure, so this won't help, but my phone used to pick up the place 4 miles from where I work as my location, now it picks up a town of 25 people 45 miles away as local for events and weather. Just started Thursday / Friday. Don't know if it is the same issue.

Thanks for the info, I forgot to add that I am located in the UK.
I have now resolved the issue, for the time being at least, until Google or some gremlin decides to change the settings again. The really puzzling aspect of this whole issue is that I input the nearest largest town/city which came back as unknown! I have now input my actual post code (zip code) and it has brought up the location I live in which is a small village, suburb of the main town. How weird is that? Google does not recognise a main town in the area but does a village. Still, as I said, all sorted for now but I will not hold my breath.
Nice bike, btw.
Take care.
Mike

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts