What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the iPad 4 announcement surprise you?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I'm happy the iPad 4 was announced today. It is a nice bump in specs, and I can't wait to get my hands on one to see the performance increase! Will it replace my iPad 3? For the first time in years...I don't know. But I will totally have an iPad mini to compliment my iPhone 5, iPad 3 and new iPod Touch!

Apple is STILL the great, innovative company it has always been. And I can't wait to see where they go from here. Things are looking up, apple fans!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd read speculation beforehand that the full-size iPad would get the lightening connector, so I thought they might do a little additional tweaking, like they did with iPad 2 (there's an older version and an upgraded version), but I didn't expect such a significant upgrade about mid-year into their product cycle.

I'm tempted by iPad 4 because of the improved wifi and HD FaceTime, among the other stuff. I'm wondering how HD FaceTime looks if you use an iPad 4 and the other party uses an older iPad, though. Like do both parties need iPad 4 to get the benefit of better viewing?

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where is A5x?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351059385864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351059385864.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 230

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
Well it's Apples small tablet. But the Samsung Galaxy tab2 and the 10.1 note do have a memory slot. And at $199 16gb on board memory for the 7" Tab2 and $499 16gb on board memory. They are quickly gaining a lot of tablet market share. When the iPad first hit the market it had few if any competition, that was then this in now. I wonder just how many really care about how thin their tablet is. when I see these ultra thin TVs being hyped in adds, I just laugh who really cares how thin their TV is?

You should buy one of those if you need an SD slot. You will not be seeing a slot in an Apple product.

I do care how light my tablet is. Makes a bit difference in how I can use it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bluerob said:
If you have bought your IPad 3 from a major retailer in Australia, I've just been told, "wow, I didn't even know about the 4 and I'm sorry, but, you can't return it unless its in the original packaging and then, I'd have to consider things."

Sorry to sound like a cranky old man, but I'm spitting blood about this.

I'm not a IT guru like most of you guys. Just a simpleton and I'm feeling so much like a mushroom (which upsets me more)......

I'm told that Samsung are guilty of similar behaviour with their tablets.

Samsung has more tablets than everyone.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Squirrel71 said:
In a way, I'm glad Apple did this. It was a reality check for me, and I was finally able to get over the " have to have the latest model" game. No more. I'm already sorry that I jumped on the iPhone 5 bandwagon so soon- should have just kept my 4s.

I may upgrade to the iPad 5, then again, I may not. Maybe I'll wait for the 6!

The upgrades are designed so you will skip every other one. I am skipping the iPad 4 and I skipped the iPhone 5. I see zero reason to buy a iPad 4 if you have and iPad 3, and I saw little reason to dump my 4s at less that a year old.
I did see a reason to dump my iPad 2 for a 3, but at is because the retina display makes a huge difference to my use if the device.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did the announcement surprise me - it certainly did!!

Here is what I think. I purchased an iPad 3 less than 30 days ago. I expected the model to be updated 6 months from now.

* I notice all the 3rd gen iPads are now being sold as "refurbished" for less than the price of an iPad 2.
* I notice that the quad core GPU in the 3rd & 4th gen devices are IDENTICAL
* I notice that the dual core CPU change from A5X to A6X is only a modest change and even Apple themselves (who are not known for understating their own products) only claim that the chip is "UP TO" twice as fast - not that it IS twice as fast.
* I notice that the physical dimensions of the 4th gen are UNCHANGED & that only the charging connection has altered - just calling it "lightning" doesn't actually make it faster!

In other words this "4th generation" is nothing of the sort - neither is it pure marketing. It is a minor update - as with the iPhone 4 to 4S. Mainly, IMO to do with Apple wanting everything to have their new lightning connector. If my retailer will do the decent thing - because I notice that their website was amended overnight within 12 hours of the announcement, hence they knew about this beforehand - and allow me to return my virtually new device for an exchange to the 4th gen iPad, then I will do that because that is in my interest. If they will not, then "that's life" & my iPad 3 will still have the retina screen that was the reason I bought it.

Last edited:

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought they brought out this new version due to complaints about the charging thing at the bottom. It cracks easily exposing the pins. It needed revising.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely shocked. I mean, it makes sense to get on the once a year holiday cycle instead of the March one they have been on, but still, sitting here with a 3 I just got no more than 2 months ago, it sorta sucks since it was nearly a G I dropped buying it. Once a year was bad enough, what is it now going to be 6 month cycles?
Will I sell my 3? No. But I am a bit cheezed. But I got caught up in the"must upgrade" mentality. Well, no more. Until mine dies, I no longer upgrade. No incentive to. In 6 mos, they'll be a better faster one anyways.

Well said. (Thumbs!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
I still wonder how people can even afford upgrading every time Apple changes a number. I used my ipad 1 for about 2 years and then after lots of reconsidering decided to spend another €799,- on a 3.
I never intended to go for a 4th gen device. 5th maybe... but at this update pace, it'll probably be a 7th gen or something before I consider spending that much again on a gadget I really like, but can also do without.

I do get Apple's drive to upgrade all relevant devices to the new connector asap. And of course the need for a beefier CPU needed for running IOS6 :rolleyes: (that slowed down my 3rd gen ipad in some respects)
Of course in spring there will be a retina version of the ipad mini, so you have something else to be p'd off. about. :D

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't feel sorry for me....I do feel shafted by Apple. I purchased the ipad 3 figuring it was the best operating ipad. A couple of months later they come out with an "updated" one... It is not like buying a new car. If I purchase a new car, a newer model doesn't come out for another 8 months to a year.... Not a couple of months....

bluerob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pauley said:
Don't feel sorry for me....I do feel shafted by Apple. I purchased the ipad 3 figuring it was the best operating ipad. A couple of months later they come out with an "updated" one... It is not like buying a new car. If I purchase a new car, a newer model doesn't come out for another 8 months to a year.... Not a couple of months....

Mate, me too, big time!

I bought mine last week and the retailer won't take it back unless its in its original packaging and then he'd still have to consider things (god knows what, may his bonus might be affected).

I don't think that I will be an Apple consumer after this experience.

I will probably buy a small laptop and be done with that.

Most reactions