What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dictonary

klondikegeoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started a thread here earlier an it dissapared, and then got a message that a mod had accidentally deleted it.
So, woulc like to try again if the previous posters might be able to help.

The users guide says toTAP on a word and I will be able to get a definition of the word. I have tried this in email, in an iBook, in a Kindle book and it does not work anywhere. I tred to, hold it and everything else, no joy.

Somebody said to download a dictionary. I found several apps, and got one. Nce app, but still can't tap on a word and get result.

Any other suggestions?

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started a thread here earlier an it dissapared, and then got a message that a mod had accidentally deleted it.
So, woulc like to try again if the previous posters might be able to help.

The users guide says toTAP on a word and I will be able to get a definition of the word. I have tried this in email, in an iBook, in a Kindle book and it does not work anywhere. I tred to, hold it and everything else, no joy.

Somebody said to download a dictionary. I found several apps, and got one. Nce app, but still can't tap on a word and get result.

Any other suggestions?

You don't have to downlad a dictionary. You do have to press down on the word with your finger. Ths is an iPad gesture, not one belonging to ndividual book aps. So it works in RSS feeds, the NYTimes app, and many others. Just make sure you're holding down long enough on the word.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to downlad a dictionary. You do have to press down on the word with your finger. Ths is an iPad gesture, not one belonging to ndividual book aps. So it works in RSS feeds, the NYTimes app, and many others. Just make sure you're holding down long enough on the word.

No, in the Kindle app you do indeed need to download the dictionary within the kindle app for it to work. I had to do that yesterday to verify in order to help the OP.

Most reactions

Latest posts