What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting photographs

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took a whole load of photographs and they were saved in camera roll.
I created a separate album called Brisbane 2012. After a period of time I purchased a physical photo album using these photos, so decided to remove them from the I Pad to create storage space. I deleted them from camera roll, but they are still in the other album (Brisbane 2012)
i have tried to delete this collection of photos but cannot find a way to do it? I cannot see any method of deletion, either on the individual photos, or the complete album?
Any ideas? Is this something to do with I Cloud?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photo albums you created in the Photo app can be deleted this way:
Tap Edit

image-623959935.jpg

You should find the possibility to delete the album here (circle):

image-1026090012.jpg

Then tap Done.

You can delete photos another way as well:
In the app, choose "Photos" (leads to collections)

image-616386471.jpg

Then Select (upper right):

image-1242253220.jpg

This will show "Select" next to every date:

image-883475343.jpg

When you tap it, all the photos from that date will be check marked, and you can delete them at once.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go to albums
I select the album
I click on edit
The only option I get on screen is done or the plus sign
No delete icon

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To delete the album, don't open it.

Could you possibly post a screenshot? It'll make helping you easier.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first picture shows you my albums.....

image-3170083925.jpg

The second photo is after pressing the select option on the top right of the screen and then ticking the first row of photos

image-212831360.jpg

There is no option (icon) to allow deletion.
If i chose the edit from this screen it just takes me to a photo edit screen?

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Likewise if I click edit on the albums screen you will see the only one with a cross on it is the o'rielly's album, not the Brisbane 2012 that I am trying to delete?

image-2455678076.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you sync the Brisbane photos to your iPad via iTunes (computer)?

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I transferred them from the computer using "photosync"

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how it works with that app, but usually you can't delete photos synced to your iPad when you use iTunes on your computer for this.

Pictures that can be deleted on the iPad:
Those that you imported from a camera/SD card directly to your device, pictures saved from a browser or from emails, photos taken with the iPad camera.

I guess you'll have to use Photosync again to delete the photos from Brisbane, or look for something else that can remove them from your device.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will look into that.
Strange set up when you cant delete a photo simpler than that?
Will try sending them back to the pc using the same app

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Took a whole load of photographs and they were saved in camera roll.
I created a separate album called Brisbane 2012. After a period of time I purchased a physical photo album using these photos, so decided to remove them from the I Pad to create storage space. I deleted them from camera roll, but they are still in the other album (Brisbane 2012)
i have tried to delete this collection of photos but cannot find a way to do it? I cannot see any method of deletion, either on the individual photos, or the complete album?
Any ideas? Is this something to do with I Cloud?

Hi Thomas - not sure that I can help much after Johanna'a usual excellent advice; but the Photo App just is not behaving as usual on your device - typically, images in the 'Camera Roll' (CR) are only linked into Albums that one creates on the iPad w/i the app; when these pics are deleted from the CR their links to iPad created albums are removed too; so I'm not understanding why the images did not 'disappear' from the 'Brisbane 2012' folder?

I'm assuming that you are correct in describing how the album was made - not sure if PhotoSync​ (which I use) has linked them in some way to your computer - pics that are initially synced from a computer to your iPad cannot be deleted from the iDevice - you might want to look on your computer for these images, delete them from that location, and then re-sync - just a suggestion. Dave :)

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I can say Dave is that I typically take many photos with my dslr camera, then after editing copy the edits to another folder on the computer.
I would then sync those to the i pad, and generally they go to camera roll.
I know what you mean when you talk of deleting from camera roll and usually you would get a prompt warning you that the same photos would be removed from any other album you used them in. I understand that albums created from camera roll are just links to camera roll and that you do not duplicate files which saves storage space.
But it is baffling me as to why i have deleted them from camera roll, yet the album created using camera roll still exists?
I see where you are coming from and will investigate. Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What I can say Dave is that I typically take many photos with my dslr camera, then after editing copy the edits to another folder on the computer.
I would then sync those to the i pad, and generally they go to camera roll.
I know what you mean when you talk of deleting from camera roll and usually you would get a prompt warning you that the same photos would be removed from any other album you used them in. I understand that albums created from camera roll are just links to camera roll and that you do not duplicate files which saves storage space.
But it is baffling me as to why i have deleted them from camera roll, yet the album created using camera roll still exists?
I see where you are coming from and will investigate. Thanks

Hi again Thomas - well from your OP, I thought that you were taking photos w/ your iPad (which would be sent to your CR), but now from the above the pics from your digital camera are on your computer which you synced to your iPad - now these images should come into your iPad as imported albums - they cannot be deleted from the iPad, as I've already mentioned. You need to 'unselect' the folder on your computer and then re-sync, they should then be removed from your iPad. Let us know if this works and if not please post back - Dave

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i will look into that Dave, but I did have those photos in the camera roll folder. How I got them there is another story as I do not have a good memory for details like that.

Most reactions

Latest posts