What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting apps from background memory in new IOS7.

pgbarbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new user to IPF. This is my 2nd iPad. Am an older retired user (69) and not that "tech savvy", although comparedto most of other senior friends, I do OK. Don't use my iPad to fullest potential, mostly just mail, FaceBook, Safari, puzzles, card and brain games, Ancestry.com, etc. My question is about deleting infrequently used apps from background memory. Always before I held down the home button until the bottom task bar "wiggled" and then closed the apps. Now under IOS7, I get the task bar, but icons do not "wiggle" nor get no "-" symbol to delete/close. When I touch the icon, it just opens
the app. Help!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Have never participated in forums, so not sure how to ask others for input nor how to respond if I have question about what someone posts. Tried to reply to one and asked, but got error message. That said I could only send messages to...........?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a new user to IPF. This is my 2nd iPad. Am an older retired user (69) and not that "tech savvy", although comparedto most of other senior friends, I do OK. Don't use my iPad to fullest potential, mostly just mail, FaceBook, Safari, puzzles, card and brain games, Ancestry.com, etc. My question is about deleting infrequently used apps from background memory. Always before I held down the home button until the bottom task bar "wiggled" and then closed the apps. Now under IOS7, I get the task bar, but icons do not "wiggle" nor get no "-" symbol to delete/close. When I touch the icon, it just opens the app. Help! Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Have never participated in forums, so not sure how to ask others for input nor how to respond if I have question about what someone posts. Tried to reply to one and asked, but got error message. That said I could only send messages to...........?
This screenshot should help.

image-1171426607.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am a new user to IPF. This is my 2nd iPad. Am an older retired user (69) and not that "tech savvy", although comparedto most of other senior friends, I do OK. Don't use my iPad to fullest potential, mostly just mail, FaceBook, Safari, puzzles, card and brain games, Ancestry.com, etc. My question is about deleting infrequently used apps from background memory. Always before I held down the home button until the bottom task bar "wiggled" and then closed the apps. Now under IOS7, I get the task bar, but icons do not "wiggle" nor get no "-" symbol to delete/close. When I touch the icon, it just opens
the app
. Help!

Hello - others have already provided some excellent comments, but I'd like to further address the question you are asking above in bold - iOS 7.x has introduced a new 'multi-tasking' option, i.e. when a 'double-tap' is made to the home button (or a multi-fingering upward gesture is done), the 'new' multi-task page appears showing ALL of the opened apps (and there will be MANY!) - by tapping on an icon, the app will re-open (and be at the point when last used) - THAT is the multi-tasking feature. NOW, if you press on an icon and drag to the top of the screen, the app will disappear, i.e. a 'force close' (like the old jiggling icons that you describe) - THUS, if you want to 'Force Close' an app (e.g. if the program is misbehaving), then do the latter; if you want to multi-task and switch to a different app then just press the icon.

HOWEVER, I'm feeling that you have a deeper question? That is you don't feel like having that many apps 'opened' in the multi-task bar - correct? If so, keep in mind that very little memory is used by these icons in that location and closing a bunch is a pain (i.e. need to be done by the upward drags, as described) - for myself, I don't routinely go to this screen and close a BUNCH of apps - just not necessary unless some are not working right - check out this Apple Support Article for some further information. If what I've said is unclear, please respond - I'm a retired radiologist (a few years younger than you) and 'Ole Farts' like us can still contribute, especially to this excellent forum! Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts