What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear apple & iOs5.... I HATE safari changes ...Especially tabs!

Do You Like Safari's Tabs Feature in iOS 5?

• Yes, I love tabs, it's about time!

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • No, I wish they would have kept the thumbnails.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Undecided, need more time to figure it out.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm kind of on the fence. I liked the thumbnails, but I like the tabs, too. So I voted undecided, but leaning toward the tabs!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no reason what so ever to prefer thumbnails other than you hate all changes. No other tabbed browser is as fast and stable as the iOS 5 safari, so that's completely out of the question, we must have this new safari. As for your strange preferences, it makes no sense because unless you constantly have 9 pages open, tab is faster for sure. Because tab switching is so fast even if you don't read it's still faster to just go through the tabs than to open that thumbnail screen, all those effects take too long.

I'm no Luddite trust me, but i can't agree.

I find the original icons give a quick reference as to what they are pointing to, the tabs have text and when the screen is crowded this is far harder to read. Especially on an iPhones smaller screen.

To easy to mean to scroll the page and catch a tab accidentally, so no it's not a 'hate all things new' but hating the inconsiderate and high handed lack of personal choice.

skylined69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got to say I hated the thumbnails every time I changed between pages the page would reload which was a pain with the tabs I can just tap them and the page is still loaded, also love the reader function.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no reason what so ever to prefer thumbnails other than you hate all changes. No other tabbed browser is as fast and stable as the iOS 5 safari, so that's completely out of the question, we must have this new safari. As for your strange preferences, it makes no sense because unless you constantly have 9 pages open, tab is faster for sure. Because tab switching is so fast even if you don't read it's still faster to just go through the tabs than to open that thumbnail screen, all those effects take too long.
We can all agree to disagree but let's keep discussions on a polite, non-personal level. Fair warning. TIA.

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely! What's with these awful things at the top of my screen..messy, distracting...and I liked my tabs!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dislike the loss of screen real estate with TABS. Give us the option!

There should at least be an option.... as there should be with ANY feature or UI element. I still have 4.3.5 so I still got my trusty thumbs which I prefer on smaller screens like this.

metroloon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tabs are a good option but the implementation in ios safari takes up too much screen space - why the tab-high line of dead space above the tabs? and why force changing to a tab to close it - other browsers display the close 'x' all the time. 6/10 for implementation - minus 5 for unilaterally removing thumbnails with no option to get them back.

heather17015

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HATE iOS 5 SAFARI TABS

Please bring back the Safari thumbnails. It's too hard to distinguish between webpages using tabs. Thumbnails gave you a visual peek of the page you're looking for. At least give the user a choice. I dislike it so very much that I'm thinking of restoring my ipad to the prior version. Anyone know a way around this? Is it possible to get the thumbnails back?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please bring back the Safari thumbnails. It's too hard to distinguish between webpages using tabs. Thumbnails gave you a visual peek of the page you're looking for. At least give the user a choice. I dislike it so very much that I'm thinking of restoring my ipad to the prior version. Anyone know a way around this? Is it possible to get the thumbnails back?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Regarding your post, first this is not a forum run by Apple so you're only "speaking" to other members and visitors. :) If you would like to let Apple know your thoughts you should use their feedback form:

Apple iPad Feedback

Second, unfortunately you cannot "restore your iPad to a prior version". Third, no, it's not possible to get the thumbnails back in Safari. I suspect an enterprising developer will fill the void with a new browser app one of these days. FWIW there were numerous complaints about Safari on the iPad not employing tabs when it was first introduced. You can't please all of the people.

Those are probably not the answers your were looking for, but hope that helps.

Welcome again and enjoy!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FWIW there were numerous complaints about Safari on the iPad not employing tabs when it was first introduced. You can't please all of the people.

Correct - but you CAN provide the options to turn things on or off. That essentially does please all the people: The "tabbers" would be happy, and the "thumbers" would be happy. Just saying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts