What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia App Locations and how to reinstall apps

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found some of the Cydia stuff in the Applications folder off the root of the filesystem. But, I then found \var\stash\Applications.cdnFUG. It has some directories for the same apps. What is the point in wasting space with these extra copies.

Also, I can't find the following stuff that I have installed:

Openssh
wifi booster
PC Networking
Retinapad
Cydelete - I found some small files here - \var\stash\libexec.AqfIPf\cydelete, but am nor convinced this is the complete package.

If I have I have to, I'll spend the $7.99 for PkgBackup, but would prefer to backup up the stuff manually.

So, where is the stuff that I can't find?? Also, most importantly, if I need to reinstall any of this, can I simply copy files to the correct locations and respring, or is the process much more complicated?

Thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fast and easy/simple way would be to FTP into your device, then go to /var/root/cydiabkup.txt and copy it out.

Note: You must have Developer or Hacker status to download Gawk. To do so, go to "Manage" -> "Setting" -> Choose Hacker/Developer. Or if it's a fresh run for Cydia, just choose it at startup

Do what you have to do, then reinstall OpenSSH, Gawk and MobileTerminal. Then you'll need to download "install-cydia-app.sh"from the web. I can PM you a link if you can't find it. Then FTP back into your device, go back to /var/root/ and drag BOTH "install-cydia-app.sh" and "cydiabkup.txt" back into that directory. Run Terminal on your device, then type in (without quotes) one line at a time, and press return/enter after each line:

su
alpine
var/root/install-cydia-app.sh
y

It'll take a bit to redownload all the apps on the list depending on how many and how large the apps are. Once finished, restart your device (restart or respring, but restarting would be recommended) and you have all your tweaks and apps. But you may have to re-set the personal settings/preferences since some of them aren't backed up.

Last edited:
OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks,

I few things:

My Ipad doesn't have the file cydiabkup.txt in /var/root or anywhere else

I don't want to have to re download anything. I want to know where the files (and preferences) are that I can't find .

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For preferences, I believe it's /library/mobilesubstrate/dynamiclibraries.

The Apps themselves are /private/var/stash/applications or /private/etc/apt

You can't exactly copy and paste the folders themselves and back up the tweaks and apps from Cydia. You'll need something like aptbackup or some other backup source to create the cydiabkup.txt (forgot to mention it before) or some backups will create a different name, so you'll have to copy the file that it specifies in a certain directory.

Most reactions

Latest posts