What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp4cemoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, I am lucky to live in the Chicagoland area, actually suburbs. The reason why is because there are probably 7 apple stores that I can think of covering the entire area and surrounding suburbs. If one doesn't work try a different store I'm sure someone will be nice enough to perhaps do that for you.

Straight from myPad 16gb

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Great news. I hope it all works out OK. It's always good to hear when people receive great service.

Tim

Posting from my new iPad. It's great not to see the hideous crack down the middle of the screen :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
johnhyunyoon said:
Posting from my new iPad. It's great not to see the hideous crack down the middle of the screen :)

I bet, I don't ever want to see one. Good luck with this one!!

mikeydjay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to drop an iron on my iPads screen, Apple replaced the iPad today, kudos to great customer service..

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mikeydjay said:
I managed to drop an iron on my iPads screen, Apple replaced the iPad today, kudos to great customer service..

That's a new way of doing it, sure glad they got the creases out for you 

Mad_Maru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My screen failed on my iPad 1 yesterday 17 days out of warranty and the geek bar bods swapped it over with no issue and I now have 90 warranty on the replacement device. :)

Sent from my iPad® using Tapatalk

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mad_Maru said:
My screen failed on my iPad 1 yesterday 17 days out of warranty and the geek bar bods swapped it over with no issue and I now have 90 warranty on the replacement device. :)

That was a great outcome for you, and thanks for informing us. It's good to know.

Mad_Maru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was a great outcome for you, and thanks for informing us. It's good to know.

Was a total relief as I only bought it 2nd hand a few months ago and haven't put it down since. Customer care full marks Apple keep up the good work.

Bfinklea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So similar to the very first entry on this thread, dropped it from 4 feet, onto concrete and slightly crunched corner and spider break on screen. Mi am in Seattle on business and need my iPad tomorrow for business meeting. Are people still seeing the Apple stores swap or fix? I am just distraught, my life is of course on this thing now. Thoughts, ideas?

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@bfinklea. Go for it. Worse the store will say is no. They may say yes. Find ur closest Apple Store and bring it in for consultation be nice, honest and be a professional. See what they say.

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad2, using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bfinklea said:
So similar to the very first entry on this thread, dropped it from 4 feet, onto concrete and slightly crunched corner and spider break on screen. Mi am in Seattle on business and need my iPad tomorrow for business meeting. Are people still seeing the Apple stores swap or fix? I am just distraught, my life is of course on this thing now. Thoughts, ideas?

Yes you need to go to an Apple store, they will replace it, be honest, be humble and very courteous. What I would be worried about is that you need it tomorrow for a business meeting. Is it still working, and have you backed it up and have access to the backup. If it is still working but you don't have access to a backup, explain all this to the apple people, they could do a backup at the store so you could then load the new one straight away. Go as early as possible so as to beat the usual rush. Remember, be nice, humble, honest, profusely thankful. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

rcflyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, my tale is as most in here. Broken Screen. Mine was BAD.. and I mean BAD... Looked like a spider made it's web on it. Mine dropped about 4 feet flat on it's back,onto a sidewalk, major breakage, but not a single mark on the back of it(thank you Zagg full body protector). So I checked e-bay, found out some prices, did some youtubing, found out how to do it, then found this place hoping yall would be able to tell me exactly what I'd need to purchase. Then I stumbled on this link.
The nearest Apple store to me is about an hour and a half drive, so I wasn't going to drive that far JUST For that.. Finally got the opportunity to head to Buffalo, and stopped in the Apple store. Told my tale to the greeter, she set me up with genisus. Waited MAYBE 10 minutes for my appointment, retold my story and she told me "The ONLY thing Apple will do is replace it for $299." I dropped my head into my hands and told her I can't do that. She said "Let me look at something" and started fiddeling on her computer. So I tell Her "It was actually kind of comical how it happened", (I was sitting on the porch, 3 steps up, dog leash in my hand, pad in same hand, Dog laying at feet. Next thing i realized, dogs high tailing it towards the neighbor (mind you, it's 10:30pm, dark dark dark), I go to grab the pad, and felt it's wind go past my finger tips as I was reaching while it was on its way to the ground because the dog ripped my hand from under the pad). I did get a chuckle out of her. She went back to her computer, and says, "Well, I shouldn't do, or say this, but I can replace it for you." She stood there several seconds before I said "Do What?" she says "I can have it replaced now, on the spot, this ONE Time, and this ONE Time only, for free of charge. Concider it your get out of jail free card. I don't have to do it, and odds are, the next person that comes in behind you, I won't offer it to them, and Apple will Never allow you to do it again. Are you interested?" I'm like "Interested, I'm still trying to grasp everything you just told me, YES I'm interested". She said "give me a minute, and I'll be back with your new Pad...
Ok, so it took her 2 minutes to come back, I probably should have been FUMING about waiting... LOL.... She opened the box, Scanned the Bar Code, handed me the new pad, had me sign the papers, and sent me on my way. Happier than a Pig in you know what. As I was turning to leave, I stopped, and turned around and said "What do you suggest for case for these things?" She walked me over, showed me what they had, and I got a leather case for it too.... That was the LEAST I Could do for them.. LOL....

No more pad in the same hand as dog leash for THIS PUPPY ever again, Case on it or not... LOL.

So yes, it works. Be Polite, be courtious, be patient, and show disappointment at the initial "It's going to cost $299 to replace it"...
I actually wonder how many people get it replaced at the $299 price... HAD I not found this page, if I weren't as good with my hands as I am (I'm not afraid to try to fix anything), There's a GOOD Possibility I'd have replaced it at $299....

Thanks to all who contributed....

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a wonderful tale (tail) thank you for posting this, as the posts in this thread helped you, yours will help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts