What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, considering that every message I've read from people who have gone into an Apple store with a cracked screen after dropping it has gotten the same "unofffical" replacement, my (unofficial) uneducated guess is that it's a sort of a unwritten Apple policy. Or maybe it is written, somewhere that they will never admit to. (Not that Apple has ever been secretive before)

Perhaps they're realizing that the glass on the iPad2 is a bit fragile, and its easier to just play this little game than to admit to a manufacturing weakness.

Apple apparently had the policy in place even before iPad 2. I dropped my iPhone 4, googled and read about Apple replacing iPhones (even before iPhone 4 came out), so that's why I brought in my smashed iPhone to a U.S. Apple store. I figured I'd probably pay for a fix, but there was a chance they'd replace for free, which they did.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, considering that every message I've read from people who have gone into an Apple store with a cracked screen after dropping it has gotten the same "unofffical" replacement, my (unofficial) uneducated guess is that it's a sort of a unwritten Apple policy. Or maybe it is written, somewhere that they will never admit to. (Not that Apple has ever been secretive before)

Perhaps they're realizing that the glass on the iPad2 is a bit fragile, and its easier to just play this little game than to admit to a manufacturing weakness.

Either way, it is a good PR move on Apple's part.

Understood - as long as people are being taken care of then thats all I want to see. Nothing but the best for my iPad brothers and sisters :)

ali.yusuf7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow...all of these cases where people got free replacements for a broken screen...I never imagined apple could be that generous...amazing...!!!

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emedrano said:
Excellent News!! I went to Charleston, about an hour away and the closest Apple Store to me, and I told the greeter my problem and my appointment time. She was super nice and told me to wait in the back of the store and my tech rep would be with me in a second. I wasn't waiting long, and my son enjoyed the kids center so it was really nice, and the rep approached me, he was SUPER friendly and I told him how my son snuck my ipad from the bag after I told him to leave it alone and he would use it when we were indoors on the sofa, and dropped it on the sidewalk when we were getting out of the car. It took everything not to start bawling while I relived the story in my head lol. He was super super nice and said, well you're in luck. This store's policy is a 1 time accidental physical damage foriveness and we can replace your ipad 2 for free this one time. I thought i was going to collapse because I was so nervous. they even converted my verizon number to my new ipad 2 as well! He did tell me though that not all stores honor that policy and usually it is half the price of your ipad to have physical damage repaired. So just know that some stores do not honor that policy. He mentioned Charlotte NC and Ny, NY as two of the ones who do not. So just a heads up! :) I am officially an apple fan! My next purchase is the macbook air! :)

Hi I'm new here. Im from australia...Just wondering if apple have the same policy all over the world.... The reason I asked is because I bought an iPad 2 5 days ago and d screen is oready cracked... It fell on less than knee high height and it shattered the screen.. Was really upset about it and to think it's got a smart cover- didn't think it would break easily... So after reading this forum I decided to book myself an appt at an apple store, hoping they can assist me with my issue... Nweys went there and was advice by one of d worker that the cost would be $479AUS!! it made me more upset and sad cuz it's like buying a new iPad.. And I was told that they can't replace it cuz they don't cover accident damage etc... And that they can't just give they're iPad for free.. :(

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I have the same problem. My niece dropped my ipad 2 and creates a 3 tiny hair line cracked on the screen. I went to apple store hoping I could get the luck like everyone did. I checked in for appointment, and after 30 mins somebody came up to me and assisted me. He asked for the serial number and key in to his little device. Unfortunately, he told me I have to pay $299 for screen replacement. I said I couldn't do it because my budget it's kinda tight right now.Then he just said ok and walk away and told me take it easy. I was really upset because I was really honest and polite when we were having conversation. I called apple when I got home and asked for a quote for screen replacement. The lady I spoke with said it'll charged me $325. she advised me to got apple store, i said I just went. I even told her that I've been reading a blog or thread online about some lucky customers got their ipad2 replaced to a brand new one. She advised me again to try one more time to the apple store and speak with another employee this time.. I am just unhappy about it. I was really hoping I will get replacement today. :( guess not my day

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
willard said:
hello everyone,
I have the same problem. My niece dropped my ipad 2 and creates a 3 tiny hair line cracked on the screen. I went to apple store hoping I could get the luck like everyone did. I checked in for appointment, and after 30 mins somebody came up to me and assisted me. He asked for the serial number and key in to his little device. Unfortunately, he told me I have to pay $299 for screen replacement. I said I couldn't do it because my budget it's kinda tight right now.Then he just said ok and walk away and told me take it easy. I was really upset because I was really honest and polite when we were having conversation. I called apple when I got home and asked for a quote for screen replacement. The lady I spoke with said it'll charged me $325. she advised me to got apple store, i said I just went. I even told her that I've been reading a blog or thread online about some lucky customers got their ipad2 replaced to a brand new one. She advised me again to try one more time to the apple store and speak with another employee this time.. I am just unhappy about it. I was really hoping I will get replacement today. :( guess not my day

Hi... Went to another apple store today.. Still no luck :((((( I'm all teary and everything while explaining them d situation and yet they just gave me the quote.. Which I reckon Is a ridiculous price.. Nweys I myt just get it fix independently....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't give up!! Next time, politely ask to speak to the Manager. So far, we've found most all Members get their iPads replaced - so keep on trying.

Tim

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so yesterday, I had no luck replacing my cracked ipad2 screen. I called customer service when I got home, and the lady I spoke with told me about this one-time accident forgiveness, and should try again to go to the store but this time, make an appointment with the genius technician. because she thought the employee that assisted me yesterday in the store was only a typical employee that assists walk-in customer.So I made an appointment with the genius tech for today, and when I walked in the store, he jut asked me what happened to my ipad and I showed him my ipad and he went to the back of store and will replace it. I couldn't believe what I just heard. and true enough, he got a brand new out of the box ipad, but it's not updated to iOS5 yet, but it's ok i can do it myself, which i am doing it right now while im typing this. so yeah I am happy customer.. thanks to the apple store in mc arthur center in norfolk!

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel you. If you can read my last post on this thread, yeah, make an appointment with the genius technician. you can do it online.. or you can walk in the store and tell them that you need to speak with genius tech. but make sure you make an update first before you give out your ipad to them.. I guarantee it will work for you.. let us know!

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi... Went to another apple store today.. Still no luck :((((( I'm all teary and everything while explaining them d situation and yet they just gave me the quote.. Which I reckon Is a ridiculous price.. Nweys I myt just get it fix independently....[/QUOTE I feel you. If you can read my last post on this thread, yeah, make an appointment with the genius technician. you can do it online.. or you can walk in the store and tell them that you need to speak with genius tech. but make sure you make an update first before you give out your ipad to them.. I guarantee it will work for you.. let us know!

ninaycay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Both my appt were with genius technician.. And they both said the same thing.. I did book another one for tomorrow, and that will be the last apple shop here in melbourne.. I'm actually hesitating wether to go or not... Both my past appt had been very disappointing... The first time I came in for my appointment i was 5 min late so they cancelled it.. And was advise to come back another day.. Fair enough cuz it was my fault for being late.. So I came bck d nextday.. Did I mention it was a 45 min drive to get there? Anyways so checked myself in to find out I have to wait for 20 min... As soon as the workers done explaining the costs.. Which only took about 5min... He just told me to think about and just come bck when I decide to go through with the replacement cost, he was literally trying to get rid of me explaining me that he need to attend to
Another customer.. Isn't that the whole idea of booking an appointment??? So they could spend time with you??? Nweys d second appointment was d worst!!! Got there on time---- but they where falling behind with all their appointment so they told me to come back in half hr.. Which I did.. Got bck there but had to wait again, when I finally saw d genius technician, he just told me the same thing.... :( so what do you think guys is it really worth it??!!

Bye_apple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad 2 was dropped on the ground accidently a few days ago and its screen was cracked. I went to an apple store for help yesterday and was told to pay $299 for a replacement. It's absolutely ridiculous! Who would pay that much money just for a cracked screen?
I heard some people got a free replacement but I don't believe it's ture. How can Apple treat its customers unequally?
I will never purchase any Apple's products anymore. Bye Apple!

Last edited:

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Bye_apple. Don't give upso easily. And BTW, if u walk away, Apple still gets to keep ur money from ur purchase. So just keep trying other Apple Stores. And try to keep a better grip on ur toys.

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad2, using iPF

willard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ninaycay; is your ipad jailbroken may I ask? that might be a problem, because they actually key the serial number in to their little device. if it is so, then they prolly detected that it is jailbroken. because when you jailbreak it, the warranty will voided automatically..
@bye-apple; dude, i can prove that it is true. apple replaced my broken ipad2. u just need to talk to a genius technician and explain in a polite manner what happened.

Flash_beezy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.facebook.com
@ninaycay; is your ipad jailbroken may I ask? that might be a problem, because they actually key the serial number in to their little device. if it is so, then they prolly detected that it is jailbroken. because when you jailbreak it, the warranty will voided automatically..

What? The jailbreak does not affect your warranty....nor does it show in their system...a simple restore takes the jailbreak off and you'll be all set.

Btw anyone have luck at the valley fair store in Santa Clara? Recently shattered part of my iPad
digitizer...could repair it myself but a free replacement seems better..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts