What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a difference between Apple branded stores and agency stores. Perhaps that's one of the differences.

-t

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Care is a wise investment, especially for portable devices that take a lot of physical abuse. It covers hardware failures like the screen going half dark - but Apple Care is not an insurance plan. It typically won't cover accidental damage. Apple Care basically adds two additional years to the standard one year warranty.

I get it for any Apple product I buy for the peace of mind it offers.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JWKessler said:
Apple Care is a wise investment, especially for portable devices that take a lot of physical abuse. It covers hardware failures like the screen going half dark - but Apple Care is not an insurance plan. It typically won't cover accidental damage. Apple Care basically adds two additional years to the standard one year warranty.

I get it for any Apple product I buy for the peace of mind it offers.

Square trade is better for iPad as it covers accidental damage and more then likely they will just reimburse you purchase price instead of replacing product.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Square trade is better for iPad as it covers accidental damage and more then likely they will just reimburse you purchase price instead of replacing product.

Perhaps, but Apple Care also includes three years of Apple tech support for those pesky software related issues. I assume Square Trade is just an insurance plan covering the hardware. If you are already experienced enough to handle any software issues Square Trade may be a better deal. If you like the idea of some hand holding from the mother ship Apple Care may be a better choice.

sp4cemoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I was unfortunate to join the shattered screen club as well. First off, let me say I JUST exchanged the hp touchpad for the 16gb iPad 2 aug 25th. Last week I placed my beautiful tablet on top of my girlfriends car, forgot about it and drove off. A while later I heard it fall from the roof when we were on a big ave. I was able to recover it and was thinking at first purchasing another one at 500 dollars, then I found you could purchase the touchscreen digitizer for 100, in which case I would install it myself. While looking for the digitizer, I came across this forum and reading all the pages of stories about explaining your story and being very truthful and patient and humble, I found out all of you were correct.

I first spoke with the greeter, who after seeing the screen said there MAY be a chance they could replace it. After waiting for 50 min, I spoke briefly with the rep at the genius bar who saw it and I asked what options there were for me. He looked at my model and searched his computer and said a replacement would be 270. I immediately thought of this forum and thought to myself dang I guess I wasn't going to be that lucky. When he asked if that was something I looked like I'd want to get then and there I said it would take time to come up with it. That's when that great customer service kicked in, "you know what because of what happened to tyou we can replace this as a one time courtesy, but just once next time it's 270" I shut up and they made the switch with a reconditioned one that looks just as good as my new one. I was extremely happy and will def recommend everyone to go here because of the wonderful customer service

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of you that have had the unfortunate experience of dropping your ipad i suggest you invest in a protective case as apple won't give you a second one.

I personally dont like cases as it defeats the slimness of the ipad.
But check out the $39 Yoobao case on amazon.com. I bought two of them as i have two ipad 2s and you dont even know they are on the ipad. They are real leather and come in 3 colors. Cheap insurance as it offers full protection unlike the smart cover which is a joke and made of cheap vinyl yet for $39.

This case also has the built in magnets that turns it on and off. You can easily slip the ipad out if need be. Full cutouts for access to the camera and buttons etc. Check out the video on the user reviews on amazon.

Actually, its still $39. You need to search on amazon for "Ayl" case. Its made by Yoobao.
Dont search for it by ipad 2 case or it comes up with the Bear Motion case which does not have great user reviews as its a lot thicker.

Type in ayl on amazons search and it's the first one that comes up. As the reviews say, the one in black has a nicer more expensive feel to the leather.

Last edited:

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sp4cemoose said:
Hey I was unfortunate to join the shattered screen club as well. First off, let me say I JUST exchanged the hp touchpad for the 16gb iPad 2 aug 25th. Last week I placed my beautiful tablet on top of my girlfriends car, forgot about it and drove off. A while later I heard it fall from the roof when we were on a big ave. I was able to recover it and was thinking at first purchasing another one at 500 dollars, then I found you could purchase the touchscreen digitizer for 100, in which case I would install it myself. While looking for the digitizer, I came across this forum and reading all the pages of stories about explaining your story and being very truthful and patient and humble, I found out all of you were correct.

I first spoke with the greeter, who after seeing the screen said there MAY be a chance they could replace it. After waiting for 50 min, I spoke briefly with the rep at the genius bar who saw it and I asked what options there were for me. He looked at my model and searched his computer and said a replacement would be 270. I immediately thought of this forum and thought to myself dang I guess I wasn't going to be that lucky. When he asked if that was something I looked like I'd want to get then and there I said it would take time to come up with it. That's when that great customer service kicked in, "you know what because of what happened to tyou we can replace this as a one time courtesy, but just once next time it's 270" I shut up and they made the switch with a reconditioned one that looks just as good as my new one. I was extremely happy and will def recommend everyone to go here because of the wonderful customer service

Moose, which store/city? Glad it worked out. Next time, please fasten your iPad's seatbelt. Then fasten yours.

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad2, using iPF

Sara_bear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still haven't found an answer to my predicament though. :/
Has anyone had an experience with an engraved iPad? I know you can't return them, and I fear they may not replace it for the same reasons.

stingray1059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think this is applicable for US residents only.

here in the philippines , they wont replace it. they say its no longer covered in the warranty.

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered that my screen was cracked just today. Never dropped it. Don't know what happened.
All your posts were really encouraging. I'm actually going to the apple store tomorrow. I'll come back and fill all of you in on the juicy details once I get back.

arttext

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, after a very bad experience with my 3Gs two years ago when I, in my innnocence used it outside in the rain, resulting in a dead screen. And I had to pay 360 Euro for a refurbished one, since "water damage is not covered by warranty" I then decided to insure it. As I will do with this iPad. And maybe I should mention we don't have Apple stores yet here in Amsterdam, NL and everything went through my telco T-Mob.

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Good Luck!! Be cool, be polite, be humble, be respectful and I'm sure it will turn out OK.

Tim

Well, it happened exactly the way it was described countless times on this thread. They ordered a new iPad 2 for me (it was out of stock). They even went as far as overnight shipping and allowing me to take my old one home to back up!

To all the Apple CS folks out there, thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts