What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, same thing happened to me, but it was w/ iPhone 4...dropped it when I was running and it was linked to a 3rd party armband that I purchased on Amazon. Told my sales rep at the Huntsville store about what happened and w/in 20 minutes, he had my contacts sync'd on the new iPhone. Of course he couldn't transfer my music but I was just happy they replaced the product. Props to Apple for excellent customer support. And they had great Customer Service too. But the support is what blew my mind...and like other posters have said, he said "we'll replace it this one time". I was so ecstatic.

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad2, using iPF

osutrooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I to have a sad story. I work in law enforcement. I was showing a coworker my new toy, and It fell about 4 in right on the face. I picked it up and thought the worse. I turned it over and was like, crap! My wife is going to kill me! I get home and back it up and then set up my time at the apple store. I went in felling like an idiot. I told the apple store employee what happened, she went back and got another one. Talk about good service. I have always been a big apple fan and own several items from them. Glad they could help me out!

KreativeGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gamingbox.wordpress.com
i can see my iPad 2 glass protruding from one edge of the casing images attached below showing the difference in two ends of the panel is it something that i need to be worried about? kindly suggest

izz3f4.jpg

1p77uw.jpg

destan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unadvertised Policy is in Effect in Houston

Dropped the ipad2. It was in a protective sleeve and dropped from 30" high counter. Protective sleeve notwithstanding, cracks everywhere, with a seriously messed up corner.

Their policy is in effect in Houston. Apple exchanged with a new ipad2 in about 20 minutes. They say they will do it only one time. Lost music and stuff on it but a minor inconvenience. Great service. Apple is Apple for a reason.

Apple charges 350 for the repair. Outside probably 200. Part is about 75.

Now I need a better protective sleeve. Any suggestions???

Appertainment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Working in England too...

In case anyone was wondering, they follow this in England too.

I dropped my iPad when in Thailand (entirely my fault) and took it to the Apple shop to see what they would do (after reading this thread).

Ordered me a new one free of charge!

I've blogged about with pics of the paper work here:
Free Replacement iPad2 for Cracked Screen… « appertainment.co.uk
:D

chesterdawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coincidence,

One of my coworkers dropped his ipad and cracked the screen. He took it to the apple store and they said it would cost about $300. He said "I've been a good customer here and long time apple user". The clerk said "Do you have all your data backed up?" he handed the clerk his cracked ipad 2, and the clerk handed him a spanking new one! after he registered it for him!

An ipad 2 will likely be this long time PC guy's intro into the world of apple.

I'm looking at an ipad 2 mainly to use as a portable digital portfolio as all the PC tablets use Wide screens so you can watch you tube in hi def!

Steve

Last edited:

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appertainment said:
In case anyone was wondering, they follow this in England too.

I dropped my iPad when in Thailand (entirely my fault) and took it to the Apple shop to see what they would do (after reading this thread).

Ordered me a new one free of charge!

I've blogged about with pics of the paper work here:
Free Replacement iPad2 for Cracked Screen… « appertainment.co.uk
:D

Thx for info. I have buddy living at Croughton who will be glad to know this.

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chesterdawg said:
Coincidence,

He said "I've been a good customer here and long time apple user". The clerk said "Do you have all your data backed up?" he handed the clerk his cracked ipad 2, and the clerk handed him a spanking new one! after he registered it for him!

Steve

I wonder if data backup is part of a customer competence test. I took my 4 year old MacBook to a genius, swollen battery. He checked that I'd registered it, asked the backup question, and gave me a new battery. No warranty involved. Super service.

codguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my IPad2 in May 2011. I cracked my IPad2 on 7/18/2011 and my heart just sank. I scheduled an appointment with a Genius at the Woodlands, TX, Apple store to see if he knew of any alternatives to paying $419 for replacement, like someone who could fix the glass for $100 maybe. He told me it would cost $419, but then told me he could do a one time replacement for free and gave me a new one right on the spot. I was totally amazed. I didn't even buy the IPad from Apple directly. I purchased it through a third party retailer. Two things occurred that day, I became a loyal Apple customer and will be spreading the word. Little does Apple know that I am starting my own business and all of my future employees will end up using their computers also.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my IPad2 in May 2011. I cracked my IPad2 on 7/18/2011 and my heart just sank. I scheduled an appointment with a Genius at the Woodlands, TX, Apple store to see if he knew of any alternatives to paying $419 for replacement, like someone who could fix the glass for $100 maybe. He told me it would cost $419, but then told me he could do a one time replacement for free and gave me a new one right on the spot. I was totally amazed. I didn't even buy the IPad from Apple directly. I purchased it through a third party retailer. Two things occurred that day, I became a loyal Apple customer and will be spreading the word. Little does Apple know that I am starting my own business and all of my future employees will end up using their computers also.

That's great news - it's amazing how Apple's customer-centric approach pays dividends. Of course, they'll always be a very few people who will exploit their generosity but, in general, most people are decent and honest and truly appreciate a company that puts their customers first. And, yes, in the long run it's good for Apple too - as you've just shown.

Glad it went well for you.

Tim

jwestes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so what did I do wrong?

I also had an accident over the weekend in that my cat knocked my ipad off our kitchen counter and the screen cracked. I called Apple and they told me it would be $369 for a repair. They suggested I try an Apple-authorized repair shop in my neighborhood. I called and none of the three work on ipads. An online company said they'd fix it for $210 plus shipping. So what's this about "free replacements"? Where IS this Apple shop that does such things? (By the way, I was honest about what happened. The Apple CSR was very nice on the phone. Stuck by the $369, though.) Jack

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you guys tried square trade at all? I got a 3 year warranty from them for just over $100 that covers accidental damage including water submersion. Cheaper then paying $400 for apple to replace the screen. And if I understand it correctly they will pay you back full purchase price down the road if they can't fix it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwestes said:
I also had an accident over the weekend in that my cat knocked my ipad off our kitchen counter and the screen cracked. I called Apple and they told me it would be $369 for a repair. They suggested I try an Apple-authorized repair shop in my neighborhood. I called and none of the three work on ipads. An online company said they'd fix it for $210 plus shipping. So what's this about "free replacements"? Where IS this Apple shop that does such things? (By the way, I was honest about what happened. The Apple CSR was very nice on the phone. Stuck by the $369, though.) Jack

Go to ur nearest Apple Store.

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's official public policy is that accidental damage is not covered even with AppleCare. I think what happens when you actually go to the store and seem to be truthful and not demanding, they can replace it for you once. Some day that may change, for example, when your model is older.

I am still nervous today so the message about Square Trade makes me think I should check them out. Since I have had one replaced already, I feel like I used up my one free life in the IPad world.

But I agree, you need to go there in person, not just call.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gkauf3 said:
Apple's official public policy is that accidental damage is not covered even with AppleCare. I think what happens when you actually go to the store and seem to be truthful and not demanding, they can replace it for you once. Some day that may change, for example, when your model is older.

I am still nervous today so the message about Square Trade makes me think I should check them out. Since I have had one replaced already, I feel like I used up my one free life in the IPad world.

But I agree, you need to go there in person, not just call.

I had apple replace mine once because a clip in the USB area broke and wouldn't hold a charging cable. The iPad had a few dings and a chip on top from dropping it once. The guy was hesitant about doing it but I was able to talk him into it. Hopefully next time it happens it is a few years down the road, which equals $100 4g/5g iPad.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts