What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRockSteady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up my iPad 2 from best buy and a few days afterwards I realized the mic didn't work. Speaker was fine. I made a genius appointment the next day and the apple employee just opened up a brand new iPad 2 and handed it to me. Awesome customer service. Never had to show a receipt or anything! It took literally 5 mins...

DSSK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DSSK said:
I placed My iPad 32gb 3g model on top of the car and totally forgot about it. started driving and it flew off the roof and i'm sure it got run over by a car at least once. Because of the leather case it didn't get a scratch on it anywhere but there is a dent and the screen is cracked and nothing is coming on it.

When I plugged it into the computer, it syncs and all and I can hear all sounds. i wonder if I should make a 150mile trip to the nearest apple store.!? hmmm

does anyone have experience with the apple store in either Charleston, SC or South Park Mall in Charlotte, NC?

If you decide to go, I would, just tell them what happened and how upset you are at yourself. Ask them if there is anyway they can fix it and if all goes well they will understand your pain and replace it. Don't say anything about you have read online how they replaced others who dropped theirs, etc. Be nice and sincere and with a little luck they will make you happy.

I have never had to go to the genius bar. should I make an appointment or just drop in?

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just curious if you had any case on your iPad when you dropped it?

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRockSteady said:
I picked up my iPad 2 from best buy and a few days afterwards I realized the mic didn't work. Speaker was fine. I made a genius appointment the next day and the apple employee just opened up a brand new iPad 2 and handed it to me. Awesome customer service. Never had to show a receipt or anything! It took literally 5 mins...

This is good.

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DSSK said:
I have never had to go to the genius bar. should I make an appointment or just drop in?

I would just drop in since your problem isn't a technical issue. If they say you need an appointment just say you didn't know you needed one and let them know how far you drove to get there.

OP
P

p53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a case on the ipad, but it didn't offer much protection on the bottom. And thanks to Murphy and his law, the ipad fell right on the corner. I'm going to definitely invest in a better case for my new ipad.

Jlagozzino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
p53 said:
I had a case on the ipad, but it didn't offer much protection on the bottom. And thanks to Murphy and his law, the ipad fell right on the corner. I'm going to definitely invest in a better case for my new ipad.

My smart cover didn't offer any protection either. At only 5 days old, my iPad sustained a drop, flipping off my lap, ending is a cracked screen. I was devastated. I was honest about the incident, but Apple ordered a replacement at a fee of $419. I'm waiting for it to come in.

chevreuil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Store

Hello Ryan!

What APPLE STORE did you use? I don't have any APPLE Store in my hometown and need to ship it to a local store.

The same thing happened to me this morning :confused::mad::confused::mad::confused:

Francis

Hi everyone,
Yesterday night while returning from the library, I accidentally dropped my ipad2 straight onto the concrete from about 4 feet. And of course, upon inspection, the screen had cracked nearly the entire length of the ipad. Also, the corner was really damaged.

So, this morning I took it to the apple store and explained exactly what happened, and the guy says "no problem, we'll replace it for free this one time". I was extremely surprised this happened, that's pretty amazing CS. So, in a few days I have to go back to the apple store to pick up the ipad.

Does anyone know if apple supplies a brand new replacement ipad2 or is at a refurbished model?

Thanks,
Ryan

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DSSK said:
I placed My iPad 32gb 3g model on top of the car and totally forgot about it. started driving and it flew off the roof and i'm sure it got run over by a car at least once. Because of the leather case it didn't get a scratch on it anywhere but there is a dent and the screen is cracked and nothing is coming on it.

When I plugged it into the computer, it syncs and all and I can hear all sounds. i wonder if I should make a 150mile trip to the nearest apple store.!? hmmm

does anyone have experience with the apple store in either Charleston, SC or South Park Mall in Charlotte, NC?

I have had several dealings with the Charlotte store, all good. Recently, I bought an apple wireless keyboard from apple online. It was malfunctioning. I took it to the south park apple store and they swapped it out with a new one. They were extremely busy and I got a new employee who had to ask a manager about how to handle it, but they just swapped it out after asking what was wrong with it. Mornings are extremely busy there think because people are still lining up for the iPad 2 so you want to go in the morning, but I don't know.

Good luck!

Z0mKi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Store = Superb Customer Care

Last night I was devastated. I dropped my unprotected iPad 2 32GB wifi off the arm of my couch, damaging a corner and cracking the screen. I went to my Apple Store and was completely honest as to how the damage occurred. The Genius told me unfortunately accidental damage is not covered and a brand new replacement would cost $299. I absolutely love my iPad and so I was ready to pay the replacement cost. After letting me sweat it out for a few minutes, the Genius advised they will replace my iDevice on the spot but to be more careful in the future as it will cost $299. I was so relieved and truly impressed with the swift interaction.

A few weeks ago I read an article about how the Apple Store employees are extremely helpful as long as you approach them with complete honesty. The article was right. The iPad 2 is only my second Apple device with the iPhone 4 being my first. I think I'll be getting a Mac the next time I'm looking to upgrade.

Jay in NYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PatS said:
That is great service. I wonder if the results/service are the same if bought through a third party distributor such as Best Buy. I picked up my iPad 2 at BB the day after launch when they were not available at the Apple store and reserved a second one for my husband which we received yesterday.

My personal experience was that Apple will replace a faulty iPad that was purchased elsewhere. I bought mine at a Best Buy here in Manhattan and after a few weeks the Home button became intermittent. Intermittent problems are the hardest to verify but luckily when I took my machine to the Apple store the problem showed itself and they promptly ordered a replacement which came about a week later. I went through 4 iPhone 4s before I got one that worked perfectly but in each case they immediately replaced the defective machine with a new one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you decide to go, I would, just tell them what happened and how upset you are at yourself. Ask them if there is anyway they can fix it and if all goes well they will understand your pain and replace it. Don't say anything about you have read online how they replaced others who dropped theirs, etc. Be nice and sincere and with a little luck they will make you happy.

I dropped my iPhone and cracked its screen. I went to an Apple store and all I did was show the guy my screen and say, "Can you help me? It fell." The guy offered to replace it free without missing a beat. I was prepared to pay for a repair, and I didn't put on a song and dance.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I dropped my iPhone and cracked its screen. I went to an Apple store and all I did was show the guy my screen and say, "Can you help me? It fell." The guy offered to replace it free without missing a beat. I was prepared to pay for a repair, and I didn't put on a song and dance.

Apple will do this for a one time deal only, from what I have read and heard.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will do this for a one time deal only, from what I have read and heard.

That's one more time than I would expect from any company for damage that was clearly not its fault. :D

I agree. A friend of mine got his iPhone and dropped it the next day out side. It was a sad sad moment. He took it in and they replaced it on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts