What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Apple graciously replaced my iPad.

I am an avid Windows user, though I own three iPods, an iPhone and now an iPad - I'm well on my way to becoming an Apple loyalist. I purchased an iPad not more than 11 days ago; and I must say that I am hooked. I carry the thing around with me everywhere and my students have started calling me a reluctant yuppie.

Yesterday, as I made my usual shuffle between classes, a student (I don't know who - lucky for them) plunged into me, causing me to drop my iPad. I just stood there aghast. I may have whimpered a bit.

After a while, and rather laughably I said, "Geez, I hope it isn't scratched." I picked it up and turned it over, it was a total mess. It still worked, but a number of reticulated cracks and spider web cracks marred the screen that I had been diligently polishing for the last week or so.

I asked my wife to take my iPad to the Apple store at Chadstone SC (Melbourne / Australia) and request a repair quote. The sales assistant / technician looked at the iPad for a brief moment or two, and said that they don’t repair them at the store; they only facilitate replacements for a princely sum of $460.00.

I think that the technician took one look at the tragic (though genuine) expression on her face and was left with little recourse. He took out the sim card (it's a 64GB 3G model), deleted the data (after asking if he could) and swapped it over.

My wife was staggered! We did not expect this; in fact the best 3rd party repair quote was $300.00. Apart from inflicting her plaintive, puppy dog eyes at the poor man at the other end of the counter - they were under no obligation to even take the item for a repair/paid replacement.

I simply cannot believe that Apple swapped it over and I am more than grateful. I was tossing up between a Samsung Series 9 and a Macbook Air - I have made my choice. I'm still going to run Windows (my university hates Apple with a passion), baby steps for now.

Please note, this was a one-time exchange and this is not an automated practice. I am sure that the assistants have some scope for personal discretion - though even that is amazing under the potential circumstances.

If you find yourself in the same unfortunate circumstances, be honest, be candid and polite and kindly ask the staff member what they could do for you. You may be pleasantly surprised.

NB: I don't want to sound sexist, but if you send your attractive wife in your stead, it may improve your chances.

Last edited:

Z0mKi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too was an avid Windows user. I finally made the jump last weekend and purchased the base model iMac with an external drive. I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase as I was with the iPad. I was considering running Win7 too but the more I learn the ways of the Mac I realize windows will just take up precious HD space.

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To Nearly_An_Apple_Convert: the optimal solution would be to buy the MacBook Air and run Windows on it. That way you can use mediocrity when you NEED to, and the rest of the time be a generation or two ahead.:) I am hopeful that my IPad will be able to ultimately replace my laptop (I have a several years old pc laptop) when IOS 5 comes out this fall. Then if I get any computer, it would be an IMac with beautiful, large screen which would also serve as a TV in my office when necessary.

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy replacement story...

The speaker on my iPad 1 64g wi-fi wasn't always working - it would stick in headphone mode sometimes, and finally wouldn't change to speaker at all. I took it to the Best Buy I bought it from, along with my receipt from 11 months ago and my replacement warranty. I expected to just get a new iPad 1, but they gave me a white iPad 2 64/wi-fi. Nice surprise.

I did have to pay for a pro-rated new replacement policy, but it was worth it (they credited me for the unused half of my first policy and charged me for a new policy). Good customer service from Best Buy, but only because I had the policy. If I didn't have it, I'd have had to send it in for service.

Larry

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cat pushed my iPad2 off a counter and onto a tile floor. The case was folded behind the iPad when it fell, and of course it hit the floor screen side down. It was shattered, so was I.

I went to my local Apple Store and they gave me a new one on the spot. No wonder Apple has so many fans!

allen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If apple store does repair a crack for free, it would be no point to get a screen protector.. dang it! ><

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No guarantee

Not guaranteed that Apple will fix or replace. In fact we have seen instances where Apple did not replace a broken IPad. There also might be a time when, since the device in question is no longer considered new, Apple might not fix or replace since they have completed their research on the durability of that model...

Blazenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea Apple!

This weekend I was dumb and put my 32g iPad2 on the roof of my car as I moved stuff around so my sister could sit down. I forgot and pulled off, only to remember about 5 mins later. I turned around and found my iPad in the road face down. My screen was SHATTERED!
This morning I took it to the apple store and the dude said he could replace it for free this one time. So, I got a new iPad, it was all I could do not to dance around the Apple store...lol

maddog25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in the UK but work in the states, i had a iPhone 4 that i bought in the uk and had a few problems with it, was my fault. Took it into the apple store in Miami and they replaced it free of charge. I was so surprised and shocked. I Think that is great CS.

Still not sure if its a refurb or brand new. The iphone looked brand new but only came in a plastic case.

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did you find out they are remanufactured? And that after 14 days that's what you get? And are you referring to IPhones, IPads or all Apple returns? Mine was about three weeks and I got a NEW IPad.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was replaced well after 14 days with a brand new ipad2 that works perfectly. Where did you hear that your 3 iPads were remanufactured?

Blazenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New

Mine was broken 3 months after purchase and they gave me a new one right out the box....they opened it right in front of me. Brand new

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Black9 said:
The devices apple supply after the 14 day ownership period are "remanufactured" units! I had 3 of them and finally got on that worked properly

Apple's refurbs are the equivalent to a new product in every way but three. The first is the packaging is marked "refurb", the second is they are a bit less expensive if you are buying them (about $100 less for an iMac), and the third is they have been thououghly tested more then once, so they tend to be even more reliable than new products. Apple refurbs tend to be a better deal than new products and I always try to buy refurbs if they are available.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buttafingas said:
Make an appt. It might be the difference in waiting 45 mins or 5 mins. Reserve online.

For the sake of the employees, make an appt. An Apple Store can turn into a zoo in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions