What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool GPS Navigation app

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a cool GPS navigation app that works on the iPad.

It's called Waze. In addition to turn by turn navigation, you can get real time traffic, accident, speedtrap information.

It's a "social network" type application. As people drive along using the app, it tracks your speed so that it can update other drivers. You can also report events, such as accidents and road hazards, so that other drivers, using the app will know about them.

The more people on the network, using the app, the better the app becomes.

The app also works on the iPhone, and they have apps for Android and Blackberry.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Finding and sharing info is one of the great features of this forum. Can't wait to try this app.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thanks for sharing! Finding and sharing info is one of the great features of this forum. Can't wait to try this app.

I've used this app before and it is horrible in the area that i live. Not only is the traffic data collected from users, but the streets are also created by users. So when I drive to/from work it never shows me being on the correct road that im actually on and it tries to route me according to the roads that im not driving on.

The data and traffic sharing methods are great and really do provide up to the minute traffic data. But all the major GPS apps do the same thing (Navigon, TomTom, etc...).

Last edited:

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why has Navigon (and TomTom - but I have the Navigon iPhone app), not yet ported their apps to the iPad yet? The iphone version obviously works on my 3G iPad, but where is their native iPad app to make efficient use of all of that extra real estate. Anybody heard anything about plans in this area?

I seriously hope that after spending $70 on it, that if and when they do launch a native app on it that they are not going to make it a separate pay app....that would be a really dumb move, and they dont really stand to benefit there...

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
Why has Navigon (and TomTom - but I have the Navigon iPhone app), not yet ported their apps to the iPad yet? The iphone version obviously works on my 3G iPad, but where is their native iPad app to make efficient use of all of that extra real estate. Anybody heard anything about plans in this area?

I seriously hope that after spending $70 on it, that if and when they do launch a native app on it that they are not going to make it a separate pay app....that would be a really dumb move, and they dont really stand to benefit there...

I sure hope TomTom upgrades the app to use the entire real-estate of the iPad. But I doubt it will be a free upgrade for current iPhone app owners. I will not be upgrading if it's not free.

OP
I

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to be online to get the full benefit of the app.

Does anyone know how Tom Tom get it's updates? Can other drivers post updates on road conditions, accidents and speed traps? This is the advantage of Maze, and you don't have to pay for it.

The more people that use the app, the better the app gets.

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
You have to be online to get the full benefit of the app.

Does anyone know how Tom Tom get it's updates? Can other drivers post updates on road conditions, accidents and speed traps? This is the advantage of Maze, and you don't have to pay for it.

The more people that use the app, the better the app gets.

I've used both, and wile Waz is great for a free application, Waze maps are not as updated as the TomTom maps and Waze requires that you have a full time internet connection while the TomTom does not.

Most reactions

Latest posts