What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a great GPS app?

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My magellen gps recently died. I have been using the maps app on my iPad, and it works great but I really miss having the audio telling me where to turn. I have looked at a few gps apps, but most are very expensive and I hate to take a chance on one for $30 and then not like it. Has anyone found a gps app that you would recommend? I don't mind paying a lot for it if it works great, but do not want one where you have to keep paying (I noticed one of them requires you to pay monthly or annually in order to get the spoken directions). I want one I can buy once and get all of the features forever. Basically I just want something that works like my gps did. Put in an address, click go, and it tells you where to turn, recalculates if you miss a turn, and shows you in real time on a map. Ideally, added bonuses would be the ability to put on a list of addresses and have it make the best route to them all (for yard sales), and the ability to save frequently used addresses. It would also be nice if it had the option to find the nearest gas station, like most gps units do. I appreciate any input you may have. Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not try out NavFree, which as the name suggests is free of charge! You never know, it may be exactly what you are looking for in your price range!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use GPS drive HD. I found it good enough to retire my dedicated Magellan Maestro GPS unit and put it away in a drawer.

http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/

The app is only a couple of bucks, but if you want voice guidance, you have to pay by the month or by the year... It's only $20 or $30 a year to keep voice guidance enabled, so if you don't spend $100+ on a new GPS unit, you'll save enough to pay for at least 3 or 4 years of voice guidance. You do get a trial month of free voice guidance when you sign up.

The iPad app does a lot of things a dedicated GPS unit won't do.. You can send your current location to friends with a single click.. You can choose satellite photo maps and see an overhead view of what's around you as you drive. You can integrate the voice guidance with other audio apps you have on your iPad.. If you're listening to music, you can mix the voice with what you're listening to, or you can have the audio pause while the direction is given..

Last edited:

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have five (5) GPS navigation apps on my iPad, both "free", which often don't really turn out to be free as they require in-app purchases to use all the features, and paid ones.

My personal opinion is that THE best is Navigon.

However I am really looking forward with fingers crossed to a rumored up-coming release of an iPad version of TomTom.

One thing is certain, NONE of them has all the features I would like to see so it's a matter of finding which one you find suits you best, or is the least annoying for you.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the Navigon app and I like it a lot, I got the US version on sale a couple of months ago and sprung for the IAP traffic and 3D views. Now that they have been acquired by Garmin i'm hoping to see some great updates.

zemo2008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have a lot and free also, just search apple store.

OP
V

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THanks for the input. @Yarrenbool, can you tell me what disappoints you about Navigon? What it's lacking? Thanks again.

BikeEffects

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use GPS drive HD. I found it good enough to retire my dedicated Magellan Maestro GPS unit and put it away in a drawer.

The app is only a couple of bucks, but if you want voice guidance, you have to pay by the month or by the year... It's only $20 or $30 a year to keep voice guidance enabled, so if you don't spend $100+ on a new GPS unit, you'll save enough to pay for at least 3 or 4 years of voice guidance. You do get a trial month of free voice guidance when you sign up.

The iPad app does a lot of things a dedicated GPS unit won't do.. You can send your current location to friends with a single click.. You can choose satellite photo maps and see an overhead view of what's around you as you drive. You can integrate the voice guidance with other audio apps you have on your iPad.. If you're listening to music, you can mix the voice with what you're listening to, or you can have the audio pause while the direction is given..

How does it download maps? Can I download trip maps with Wi-Fi and travel without 3/4G?

Most reactions

Latest posts