What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting PDF Book into IPad Format

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Converting PDF book into IPad format
Hi everyone:
I wrote a book on how to read music. I have the book in both PDF and doc format. Attempts to convert the PDF into an IPad friendly format through Calibre failed. When the book was successfully translated as a doc (again, through Calibre), the music images shrunk and the page footers disappeared.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this task? It is critical for my book to appear as written; otherwise, when one puts the IPad on one's music stand, the music images will be too small.

Thank you so much for any help you might provide.

OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)Thank you so much for the suggestion and quick reply! I will give it a try and let you know how it works....
Upon reading about Sigil, it mentions ePub. I am a Mac person, and the only reason my book is in PDF format is because that is what the publisher required. My husband says that we are not working in ePub, because that is a PC program.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Odd introduction.....

People can simply get one of many PDF readers for iPad, the best being Goodreader....Most everyone has a PDF reader on their iPad.....

I don't think you will really get the results you want in ePub if there are a lot of graphics......

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)Thank you so much for the suggestion and quick reply! I will give it a try and let you know how it works....
Upon reading about Sigil, it mentions ePub. I am a Mac person, and the only reason my book is in PDF format is because that is what the publisher required. My husband says that we are not working in ePub, because that is a PC program.
Epub is not a PC program at all. It is an ebook format developed recently to unify ebook reader manufacturers to a one and unique format. It is doing its job so far.

You did not say if you needed your pdf book on an iPad for yourself or for a certain public or publishing.

OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Converting PDF Book to iPad Format

Odd introduction.....

People can simply get one of many PDF readers for iPad, the best being Goodreader....Most everyone has a PDF reader on their iPad.....

I don't think you will really get the results you want in ePub if there are a lot of graphics......

Thanks, Bremen. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm new to all of this, as you can see. Thank you for taking the time to address the issue. I will keep you informed.:eek:

Bremen: I wanted to thank you again for your invaluable suggestion. It takes a huge load off of my mind, knowing that I can leave my book intact as a PDF.

With regard to protecting it (DRM?), do you have an opinion with regard to the best program for preventing piracy, unauthorized use, etc. of the PDF file? The ones I have found are way too expensive, and this is the only document (until the next book) that I need to protect.

Thank you so much for any advice you may have.

Last edited:
OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Converting PDF Book to iPad format

Epub is not a PC program at all. It is an ebook format developed recently to unify ebook reader manufacturers to a one and unique format. It is doing its job so far.

You did not say if you needed your pdf book on an iPad for yourself or for a certain public or publishing.

Ivan: Thank you for your reply. I was clearly talking off the top of my head when I was referring to ePub. My husband knew this.:eek:

I need the book on an iPad so that people who don't want to buy the hardcopy (spiral bound) book can still learn how to read music.

OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P.S.

Odd introduction.....

Thanks, Bremen. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm new to all of this, as you can see. Thank you for taking the time to address the issue. I will keep you informed.:eek:

Bremen: I wanted to thank you again for your invaluable suggestion. It takes a huge load off of my mind, knowing that I can leave my book intact as a PDF.

With regard to protecting it (DRM?), do you have an opinion with regard to the best program for preventing piracy, unauthorized use, etc. of the PDF file? The ones I have found are way too expensive, and this is the only document (until the next book) that I need to protect.

Thank you so much for any advice you may have.

p.s. I believe that the Adobe Acrobat 9 may work, as long as it can't be hacked into by FreeWare, and will work with GoodReader for the iPad.

(I looked up your web site, and am looking forward to listening to your music!!)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
All I know for sure is Goodreader, and many other PDF viewers on the iPad, will read any standard Adobe PDF file. Good luck to you on all this.....

Have you thought about going through an indie publisher like https://www.fifobooks.com/ to publish? They cater to several devices, including the iPad.....

OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Converting PDF Book to iPad format

Thank you, Bremen! I will check this out. After speaking with the Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 representative, I believe that it will meet my needs. Now I just have to sell enough books to pay for it!

Thanks again for your masterful advice.
lesley

OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I received from Fifobooks:
(My Question): How do you compare with Adobe Acrobat? You advertise to the reader that you will never impose limitations, such as DRM. How am I, therefore, protected from those who would pirate my work?

Answer: "PDF files are not well suited to reading content on ebook devices (excluding perhaps the iPad).

Your work is available to buyers in mobi (for Kindle and Blackberry) and epub (iPad, Sony Reader, nook, etc.) formats, which are the respective native, optimal file formats for those devices.

DRM can be circumvented and so only provides a false sense of protection. You are probably aware of the changes in the music industry over the past two years where music is no longer DRM-protected - for example the Apple iTunes store. That is why we don't add DRM to authors' work."

This is a bit disconcerting. I believe I'll stick with Adobe Acrobat. What do you think (regarding the likelihood that DRM will be a dinosaur in a couple of years)?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I received from Fifobooks:
(My Question): How do you compare with Adobe Acrobat? You advertise to the reader that you will never impose limitations, such as DRM. How am I, therefore, protected from those who would pirate my work?

Answer: "PDF files are not well suited to reading content on ebook devices (excluding perhaps the iPad).

Your work is available to buyers in mobi (for Kindle and Blackberry) and epub (iPad, Sony Reader, nook, etc.) formats, which are the respective native, optimal file formats for those devices.

DRM can be circumvented and so only provides a false sense of protection. You are probably aware of the changes in the music industry over the past two years where music is no longer DRM-protected - for example the Apple iTunes store. That is why we don't add DRM to authors' work."

This is a bit disconcerting. I believe I'll stick with Adobe Acrobat. What do you think (regarding the likelihood that DRM will be a dinosaur in a couple of years)?

DRM, is already a dinosaur … but the question of piracy is also seriously a problem … yet all editor are locked if the use proprietary format they take risk and reduce their market share … if they use open format it’s the open door to illegal copy and piracy …

so it’s like the case of the cat’s bite is queue DRM it’s just a cloud of smoke as he can be easily bypass … but they still insist because they don’t have any better solution otherwise they will apply from the day before yesterday

OP
Raberdash

Raberdash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, IPad One. So what you are saying is there is no real way to protect my book from piracy, even with Adobe Acrobat?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Let me put it this way, I rip the DRM off every book I buy. If someone has a DRM scheme that is hard to do (some Kindle books are "topas" which I have done, but is hard) I get it somewhere else... if there is nowhere else I just go to the torrents.....When I buy something I refuse to ask permission to use it, so I remove all DRM...

You can put all the DRM you want on a book, but if it is a book people want... it will be on the torrents (pirate sites) in a week anyway....

DRM makes DRM companies money. Adobe is one that is in the DRM business....Even Sony uses the Adobe Digital Editions DRM for the ebooks it sells in the Sony store....

And... I like to buy Adobe DRM'd books, because it is one of the easy ones to remove......

It matter not to me what you do... I am just telling you what it is in the real world :)

Most reactions

Latest posts