What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contemplating the iProp for my iPad2

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow ya I also spent only $5 at five below and I am very happy, have spent too much already why keep spending money on things you can find elswhere for a lot less money!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think it would work with a thin back cover on it or would I have to take out of cover

I emailed them about that and they mentioned that it will not work with a back cover.

Yep, I had to send mine back. I have an iPad1 with a Zagg leatherskin on the back. Would not fit into the iProp. Very exact specs, that.

So, have to have a completely "naked" iPad to use the iProp.

Marilyn

P.S. I have no complaints about the iProp - it seemed a very good product. The company gave me zero hassles with return. I just didn't want to give up my Zaggskin for the iProp...

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think it would work with a thin back cover on it or would I have to take out of cover

I emailed them about that and they mentioned that it will not work with a back cover.

Yep, I had to send mine back. I have an iPad1 with a Zagg leatherskin on the back. Would not fit into the iProp. Very exact specs, that.

So, have to have a completely "naked" iPad to use the iProp.

Marilyn

P.S. I have no complaints about the iProp - it seemed a very good product. The company gave me zero hassles with return. I just didn't want to give up my Zaggskin for the iProp...

That's what I thought. It's not a bother for me to remove the back cover each time I want to use this device, but you know what happens after awhile when you keep taking something off and putting it back on. After a number of times doing that, somethings going to break . . .

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Ok I just got mine today and here is my review. All you have to assemble is the base and the stand that holds the iPad. It's very simple. It has a good design. I'm not worried about it tipping backwards. It may tip forward, but only if you push it. It holds the iPad 1 very snug. I don't know about the iPad 2, but it does come with supplies to make it work. Overall, it is a great product, and well built.

mraif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a Bweasel iPad stand will offer everything you need. Now priced at 24.95, with free shipping to US customers, you will find no other stand offering so many handy uses as the 3 oz. Bweasel. Check out our web site and see the video and click the "laying in bed" link to see actual photos of a person using the Bweasel iPad stand in bed.

Seriously???

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im highly contemplating getting one, but my main concern is that it's not long enough. I need something that will be placed on the left side of the bed (on the floor) and be able to reach over the bed and onto the right side. But it doesn't seem that long... Can any users tell me what the max length over the bed it will reach?

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Sonicrobby said:
Im highly contemplating getting one, but my main concern is that it's not long enough. I need something that will be placed on the left side of the bed (on the floor) and be able to reach over the bed and onto the right side. But it doesn't seem that long... Can any users tell me what the max length over the bed it will reach?

The total length is 3 feet long. Odds are it won't work.

jeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with others here that there should be a taller version of the iProp stand. I corresponded with the manufacturer in April asking for one that was 12†to 18†taller. They responded that “We are working on an option that would likely satisfy this request. It is not sure yet if it will be something we ultimately offer or not.†I bought one anyway, and still need a taller one.

My circumstance is that I spend some time reading (on my iPad 2) while lying on a couch. Positioning the iProp stand in front of the couch, I have to move the entire stand every time I want to lie down or get up. Of course, I can pivot the iProp away, but the vertical post is still very much in the way.

It would be useful to have the iProp stand positioned behind the couch instead, but that would mean that the flexible neck of the stand would have to extend over the back of the couch. Hence the extra height request.

(The couch is 35†front-to-back; the back is 15†of that 35â€. And the back is 28†high.)

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with others here that there should be a taller version of the iProp stand. I corresponded with the manufacturer in April asking for one that was 12†to 18†taller. They responded that “We are working on an option that would likely satisfy this request. It is not sure yet if it will be something we ultimately offer or not.â€

That's the main reason I didn't get one. My question is . . . "Why did they not think about that when they designed the thing in the first place?"

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jeff said:
I agree with others here that there should be a taller version of the iProp stand. I corresponded with the manufacturer in April asking for one that was 12” to 18” taller. They responded that “We are working on an option that would likely satisfy this request. It is not sure yet if it will be something we ultimately offer or not.” I bought one anyway, and still need a taller one.

My circumstance is that I spend some time reading (on my iPad 2) while lying on a couch. Positioning the iProp stand in front of the couch, I have to move the entire stand every time I want to lie down or get up. Of course, I can pivot the iProp away, but the vertical post is still very much in the way.

It would be useful to have the iProp stand positioned behind the couch instead, but that would mean that the flexible neck of the stand would have to extend over the back of the couch. Hence the extra height request.

(The couch is 35” front-to-back; the back is 15” of that 35”. And the back is 28” high.)

I hope they truly are working in something taller. I do need something that's about 5 feet in length, but then again... Since the iprop as it is now is 100$ something longer might just double the price, which would just be a ludicrous price to pay for a stand.

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope they truly are working in something taller. I do need something that's about 5 feet in length, but then again... Since the iprop as it is now is 100$ something longer might just double the price, which would just be a ludicrous price to pay for a stand.

I'm sure that if they did come out with another version, I don't think it will be much more than what they sell the current unit for. The iProp consists of both a solid section and a flexible section. A unit that is around 5' in length might not support the weight of your iPad. That would be, of course, dependent on which section is lengthened.

One alternative would be to perhaps do some jerry-rigging of your own. It wouldn't be too difficult to section the solid piece with something solid in-between putting a slight curve towards the center of the bed. This would bring your iPad closer to where you want it. I was considering purchasing one and doing this myself, but I opted out because of not wanting to have to remove the back cover each time I use it.

jeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure that some amount of jerry-rigging would help, but why should a customer have to jerry-rig a product like this?

I agree with your comment about weight, but good engineers can solve those types of problems. I would imagine the solution would involve something having to do with the weight and configuration of the base, but I hope the iProp guys can give this some thought.

And I'd be happy with a heavier/larger base if that's what is required.

I'd just like to encourage the iProp folks to develop and offer a taller iProp, at least as an option.

OP
V

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure that some amount of jerry-rigging would help, but why should a customer have to jerry-rig a product like this?

I agree with your comment about weight, but good engineers can solve those types of problems. I would imagine the solution would involve something having to do with the weight and configuration of the base, but I hope the iProp guys can give this some thought.

And I'd be happy with a heavier/larger base if that's what is required.

I'd just like to encourage the iProp folks to develop and offer a taller iProp, at least as an option.

I certainly agree that one should not have to jerry-rig something, but if you have one and you need it longer, you don't have any other option other than wait for a new model. Like you, I hope they address this issue. I would also like them to produce the head/iPad holder that will handle the iPad without having to remove any covers. It's a nice looking product, and I am willing to purchase one if they will attend to these issues.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I gave in and ordered one yesterday... As soon as I get it I'll post my thoughts on it.

Most reactions

Latest posts