What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connect to Internet using your cell phone

Franknewbridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to use your cellphone to connect your ipad to the Internet? Seems to me I saw a post early on before the 3G models came out...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends what phone you have. If you have a phone that is rootable or supports tethering natively, then yes.

My Motorola Droid is rooted (the equivalent of jailbreaking), and I have a WiFi tether app that uses the incoming 3G data connection to turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot that I can connect through (tether) with my iPad.

There are plenty of phones that can do this, which do you have?

To name a couple:

- iPhone
- Moto Droid
- Palm Pre

And a ton more. Almost every Android phone can do it if it's rooted. Still waiting on the HTC Droid Incredible to be rooted so I can pick that phone up.

tsowaiman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends what phone you have. If you have a phone that is rootable or supports tethering natively, then yes.

My Motorola Droid is rooted (the equivalent of jailbreaking), and I have a WiFi tether app that uses the incoming 3G data connection to turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot that I can connect through (tether) with my iPad.

There are plenty of phones that can do this, which do you have?

To name a couple:

- iPhone
- Moto Droid
- Palm Pre

And a ton more. Almost every Android phone can do it if it's rooted. Still waiting on the HTC Droid Incredible to be rooted so I can pick that phone up.

Nexus One with Froyo has hotspot feature already and no root needed.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yep, depends on the phone.
Does the phone have built in wifi? Thats whats needed.
Some phones(iphone) can do this but must first be hacked.

Most reactions

Latest posts