What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB internet connection

sallys452001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing an iPad. Would anyone know if I will be able to access the internet through my usb internet device that I have with my cell phone carrier for connecting a computer to the internet. I use it with my laptop to access the internet. Are the iPads kind of the same as a computer in this way?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads can tether wirelessly using wifi or Bluetooth, but not through the USB port.

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You will not be able to connect to the internet by plugging the USB device into the iPad.

You might be able to use the laptop to create a local Wi-Fi network that the iPad can connect to. This has worked for people using an ethernet connection; RJ45 plug in the back of the computer from a router or hub. I've recommended it a couple of times, but none of the posters have ever come back to tell me if it worked, or not.

Anyway, here are the procedures for the various operating systems. You can tuck them away to try, if you don't come up with a better, more reliable, solutions in the mean time.

Turn your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot
Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

How to Turn Your XP Laptop into a Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot
Create an Instant Wireless Hotspot Using Your Connected Windows XP Notebook

Turn Your Vista Laptop into a Mobile Hotspot
Share Internet Connections on a Vista Laptop by Turning It into a Mobile Hotspot

Mac OS X as a hotspot
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Sharing your Internet connection

OP
S

sallys452001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Perhaps creating a local Wi-Fi network (hotspot) would work. I will try that on my computer and see if I can do that using the usb internet device.

I would see about getting internet with the local cell phone carrier only the store rep at At&t said that they only let you sign up for service if you purchase the iPad from At&t. They are very expensive thru At&t, has anyone purchased an At&t compatable iPad somewhere besides thru At&t then used At&t as the internet provider?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sallys452001 said:
Thanks for the information. Perhaps creating a local Wi-Fi network (hotspot) would work. I will try that on my computer and see if I can do that using the usb internet device.

I would see about getting internet with the local cell phone carrier only the store rep at At&t said that they only let you sign up for service if you purchase the iPad from At&t. They are very expensive thru At&t, has anyone purchased an At&t compatable iPad somewhere besides thru At&t then used At&t as the internet provider?

Your iPad can work with a mifi device from any cellular company, so you needn't sign up to a data plan with AT&T, effectively you can buy an iPad from any outlet (warning Apple Stores are addictive!) and then get a mifi from any company to connect if that works out cheaper than an AT&T data plan.

The Archangel

OP
S

sallys452001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only I live in a really small town and At&t is the only cell phone service we have. Verizon said they don't service our area. I think I could sign up with At&t for their service. Now they say you can sign up with them, you don't have to purchase the iPad from them. That didn't sound right when I was told that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, until recently, in the U.S., AT&T was the only service you could sign up with if you bought the AT&T version of the iPad. T-Mobile is apparently now offering micro-SIM cards that you could probably use with an AT&T iPad, once unlocked. However their fabulous speeds are not to be had with iDevices, or even speeds as good as AT&T, since only their EDGE network is compatible with the iPhone and iPad.

You buy a completely different version of the iPad if you go with Verizon. They are not compatible. So if you buy an iPad from someone other than AT&T, be sure it is the AT&T version of the device.

BTW, other than buying used, or older iPad 1 device, it is darn hard to find a deal on the hardware. AT&T charges exactly the same amount for the hardware as Apple does, or just about any third party retailer.

Wi-Fi only iPads are carrier independent. They have no 3G service themselves, but will work with just about any carrier's Mi-Fi portable hotspot, or similar device.

Most reactions

Latest posts