What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused On Purchase-Need Help

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not presently own an IPad. I have an Ipod Touch 4G(WIFI only) and love it, but I need a bigger screen do to vision issues.. I will use the IPad for web surfing, gaming(simulation like sports and Xplane 9) + other fun apps(not business productivity, as I am just a retired geezer).
Dilemma: Wait for TPad 3 or get an IPad 2 now ! My son has an IPad 2 and it is just terrific. I loaded my favorite sports and simulation gmes on it and they ran and looked super. BUT, will I kick myself in the butt(literally) 6 months from noe if the new IPad 3 ileaves the 2 in the dust(much better screen, longer battery life, much faster processor....). My intellect tells me to wait, but facing a long Fall/Winter in Wisconsinmy gut says why wait when I could be enjoying this great /proven/beautiful piece of technology for the next6=7 months.

It is not easy being a senior tech junkie !
Thanks

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad 3 is not due out til next Spring, most likely. Can you wait that long? There will always be a new and better model.

Decisions, decisions. :)

You do know that the iPad does not support flash, right? There are sluggish, unpredictable and not free ~ workarounds.

Do your research.

Good Luck!

OP
G

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Flash Not A D Deal breaher

I use my Touch on the Web all the time and 90% of the time I can play most video clips I want the most, so I figure the IPad 2 will do as well. My most basic issue is: Am I waiting for new specs on the 3 that will make my Ipad 2 puchase so far behind the performance curve that I will be severly dissapointed. 7-8 mopnths is a long haul when you are 71(not complaining) so my philosophy has been enjoy life while I can(XBOX and PC gaming and now an IPad). I will not be using it for high end utility apps or esoteric applications, just web and sim games.

I went to an Apple Store in a big mall and they were so mobbed on a weekday morning(just amazing in this so called lousy economy) it turned me off. I will probably go to my neighborhood Best Buy Tablet section(quiet with smart young guys who are very helpful). Anyone think an extended protection plan is worth getting($99) if I decide to take the plunge ? Any recommendations on a case which is clear to protect the back from scratches(I love how the back looks, so I don't want to cover it)+ protection for the screen(just to cover it when not in use-not to go
over it).

Thanks

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i would get ipad2 now and start enjoying it,you can drive yourself mad trying to have the latest device,theyr not the latest for long as something else comes along very quickly,i have ipad2 and love it,it won't worry me at at all when 3 comes out,i will have 4 or 5 one day,when others may only have 3,its how it goes,enjoy.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you download the Apple Store app on to your touch you can walk into any apple store and ask for help through the app, without having to worry about other customers in the store.....they really do think of everything and you should get great help and advice.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy an iPad 2 refurb from Apple, use it and resell it if it turns out that iPad 3 is your heart's desire. The Apple refurbs come with full warranty, so you'll be covered if you keep it.

If you end up reselling, you'll recoup most of your costs, and you can consider the rest of the money spent on "renting" the iPad over several months.

Just try to avoid spending money on iPad 2-specific accessories meanwhile.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll chime in as well and agree with others overall. If you like what you see/can see on your son's iPad 2 then I would buy it now. Kay's advice about buying a refurbished iPad is valid too, I've had very good experiences with Apple refurbished products - "just like new" as they say.

I also read yesterday that Target and possibly some others have the iPad 2 on sale for $50 to $100 off. If that's the case, I'd track one of those down pronto.

With respect to an extended warranty, if you buy from Best Buy avoid theirs like the plague. However you could consider a couple of options. One is to buy Apple Care. It extends your full Apple warranty another two years (for a total of three). You have until the end of the one-year warranty to buy Apple Care so no rush. You can buy Apple Care directly from Apple, but you can often find it for less from other retailers like Amazon.com as well.

Although I'm glad I have Apple Care for my Mac computers and Cinema Display, another consideration (and what I did) is to buy a SquareTrade warranty. They are highly reputable and the price for three years coverage is very reasonable. I did this because Apple products are highly reliable and as with most electronics, if something is going to go wrong it usually happens right away. My major concern is damage. Apple Care covers defects, etc., but not breakage. So if you accidentally drop your iPad and break the screen you're mostly out of luck. (I say "mostly" because there are reports of Apple replacing iPads with broken screens as a one-time favor). iPad screens are very tough, but not immune from damage. SquareTrade not only covers defects but breakage as well. Just a thought.

That said, the only other advice I have is that if what you see on your son's iPad 2 isn't as good as you'd like, you might want to hold off until the iPad 3 is released (probably late March 2012 or so). The reason being besides the likelihood of it being thinner, lighter and with longer battery life, is that there's a very strong possibility that it will have a new, much higher resolution "retina display" like the iPhone 4 and IIRC your iPod Touch 4. If that's the case, images will be much more refined and if eyesight is a challenge that might be something to consider.

Hope that helps, glad to have you here and let us know how things go!

Last edited:

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a Google search to see whether there were any updates re: rumored upgrades via iPad3. Remember, this is basically just speculation. Here's what I found:

iPad 3 Features Expectation
  • Retina Display: People were expecting a retina display with the iPad 2; but the iPad disappointed them with the same display of the previous iPad. Now followers are waiting for an iPad 3 with a retina display. There is a rumor that the iPad 3 may offer a resolution of 2048×1536 pixels.
  • SD Card Slot: People are expecting a revolution in Apple iPad 3 with an SD card slot. Hopefully Apple may introduce SD card slot with the third generation iPad.
  • Improved HDMI: Yes iPad 2 also supports HDMI playback but you need to have Apple digital AV adapter, and that comes at an additional cost of $39. So it is much expected from iPad 3 to have an HDMI port that eliminates additional requirement of the HDMI cable.
  • Camera Flash: A camera with flash is a much-waited feature of the iPad; people were expecting iPad 2 to have camera flash; now we would be wondering if iPad 3 will have camera with flash.
  • Thunderbolt: The iPad 3 may have a Thunderbolt port. That will offer power, video and data connectivity using the same connector at lightning speed.
  • Wireless Synchronize: People are expecting iPad 3 to offer wireless sync of content rather than the traditional wired connectivity.
For me, the retina display would be the most compelling addition to the iPad's features, but it's certainly not enough on its own to make me want to ditch my iPad2. YMMV.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you love your sons iPad now and it does everything you want it to do, then why wait. Having said that I did wait 4 months for the IPad 2 and am so glad I did. But I really wanted the cameras. But would I wait again if in the same position as you, no I wouldn't. This wonderful piece of technology does everything I want it to do now and it is gorgeous. I have a clear snap on backing as, like you, I loved the shape and design of the back and didn't want to conceal it. I have the smart cover, it is so simple and does protect the screen. I purchased the back case on eBay, if you do go for the smart cover too, make sure the back case is the one designed to use with the smart cover. I also have a leather pouch for traveling which fits my iPad with the covers on very nicely.
I can see what you mean about the Apple store being so busy, I was truly amazed by it. It's a great place for people watching though and if you do end up damaging the screen, it may be better to have purchased it direct from Apple and they do have the free classes to get to know your iPad better too.
Rich had a very informative post as regards to Apple care and other warranties.
So if your philosophy is to enjoy life, and as you say, it will be a long winter without one, then why wait?

Last edited:

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just turned 72. Also am a Wisconsinite. I love my iPad 1! Don't deprive yourself of the great fun of the bigger screen and iPad apps. Look for the bargains if you think you'll have to sell to get the next iPad. And my Best Buy is a great store with helpful people if you don't go Saturday or Sunday ;).

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I, too, am a Wisconsinite who loves his iPad. I have the iPad 2 and was upset about the lack of flash but now it doesn't seem to be an issue. I love my iPad and take it everywhere and it also makes a fabulous Grampa's Brag Book (first time grampa here). The other poster's advise about picking up a refurbed unit is good as you can enjoy now and trade off later when you upgrade. Either way, Winter is coming fast to northeast Wisconsin and it is already too darned cold for September in Packerland.

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
G

gapman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took everyones advice and took the plunge ! I am thrilled beyond belief or words with my shiny , new IPad 2, clear rear case(so I can see the great silver back and Apple logo) + Apple Silver Magnettic Cover and IPad 2 Cleamig Kit + Carrying Case. I got the 16 GB-WIFFI Model(as I use it 98% in my home and at Shopping Malls). I have NEVER been so excited about a technololgy device in my 71 years(including my beloved gaming PC and XBox 360 and Samsung HDTV and IPod Touch). It is so deautiful, functional , mysterious and wondrous device and a whole world unto itself. Downloaded many IPad 2 dedicated games + many other apps and am in App Addiction. I know it sounds dopey, but I can just hold it and look at it with excitement(even when it's off).

So there you have it-I am in the Apple IPad 2 world and loving it. Thanks to all who gave me a friendly nudge to get here.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gapman said:
I took everyones advice and took the plunge ! I am thrilled beyond belief or words with my shiny , new IPad 2, clear rear case(so I can see the great silver back and Apple logo) + Apple Silver Magnettic Cover and IPad 2 Cleamig Kit + Carrying Case. I got the 16 GB-WIFFI Model(as I use it 98% in my home and at Shopping Malls). I have NEVER been so excited about a technololgy device in my 71 years(including my beloved gaming PC and XBox 360 and Samsung HDTV and IPod Touch). It is so deautiful, functional , mysterious and wondrous device and a whole world unto itself. Downloaded many IPad 2 dedicated games + many other apps and am in App Addiction. I know it sounds dopey, but I can just hold it and look at it with excitement(even when it's off).

So there you have it-I am in the Apple IPad 2 world and loving it. Thanks to all who gave me a friendly nudge to get here.
Well congratulations! The good news is that although the "glow" may wear off after a time, the things you will find to do with your new iPad will almost certainly never end.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your adventure!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts