What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer name affecting files on iPad

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried to make a change to an Excel spreadsheet residing on One Drive. The file was originally authored by me on my computer. My computer user name has been changed and now I can't make changes from my iPad. The error message said "File not saved - file updated by another author". Must I rename my ipad to match the name on my computer? My computer and my iPad are used exclusively by me. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me an answer.

Ottiliegirl

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seems odd. Changing your computer name shouldn't have any effect on a file. I'd try signing out and back into your Office 365 account on the iPad.

I don't use One Drive or Excel so that's the best guess I can make.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I stated that wrong. I changed the computer name and my user name. So documents authored by Pat changed to authored by ottiliegirl. On the iPad am I Pat not ottiliegirl. Does that make any sense?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I stated that wrong. I changed the computer name and my user name. So documents authored by Pat changed to authored by ottiliegirl. On the iPad am I Pat not ottiliegirl. Does that make any sense?

Can you explain the username thing on the iPad side a little more. In what app are you required to have this username? Is it the OneDrive app or Excel?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

It sounds like by changing the computer name and password you've also changed your Office 365 username and password; though I'm not sure how that works.

Did you try logging out of and back into One Drive and/or your Office apps on the iPad using the new user name and password?

Now, if you are talking entirely about a username and password internal to the document(s) themselves (for security and collaboration), then I have no idea what to do. I've never used this feature in Office.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try to explain this as best as I understand it. Recently my computer crashed and a company in India tried to recover it but in doing so they claimed a file was corrupt and they needed to change my user name. They changed it to something I could not live with so I had someone here rename my user name "Pat" to "ottiliegirl" and everything on the computer now points to "ottiliegirl" everywhere including the registry. I use Microsoft office 2010 for Excel and Word. I just found the place in Excel where they have included the name "ottiliegirl" as the author of my Excel documents. My iPad has "Pat's iPad" for its name. My file, created in Excel and authored by "ottiliegirl" was saved in One Drive. When I opened it on the iPad and made a change it would not let me save it because it was authored by another. So I don't think it has anything to do with One Drive. I believe it has to do with the different names between the computer and the iPad. It sees me as two different people. I'm not an educated user so I could be wrong. Maybe someone out there knows differently. I hope I have explained this well for you. Remember, I'm a novice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt very much it will help, but you can change your iPad's name under Settings > General > About.

And that's about all I can do. I don't have the necessary accounts to experiment with this myself.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know that's not how Word and Excel work. Unless the file itself has security settings on it, you should be able to open anywhere, regardless of any PC or usernames.

If the files have security, it's usually a password that's required.

Being an issue with updating to OneDrive, I'd bet it's a file update/ape end/replace conflict. Maybe one of the machines have the wrong date, so the current saved file appears "newer" than the one being saved. Just spitballing ideas right now. Hopefully one of our knowledgable members can enlighten us on this.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Username and name of the devices don't matter. I've changed my name and the devices' name on the iPad and my Windows PC a few times, and still am able to edit files from 2012, where the email account was spelled different than it is now.

Most reactions