What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad changes photo file name on importing

Reaction score
I'm attempting to use the iPad as a slideshow device. I've arranged the photos in the desired order by file name on my Mac. When I import (sync) the photos on my iPad, the file name gets changed into something not useful. For example, file "20110531-Turkey–IMG_4971.jpg" is changed to "20110725222241874.jpg" and "20110531-Turkey–_MG_0760.jpg" is changed to "20100725222242206.jpg". What's the logic and what can I do to preserve the original photo file names?

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Really it is iTunes fault, I believe, but it points to a fundamental shortcoming in the handling of pictures by the entire iSystem, if you will. I believe when it does its lovely "optimizing photos" it copies them to a cache area on the PC/Mac and gives them nonsensical names.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice that imported photos "lose" their names when displayed in iPad's native photo app, but the same photos appear with their original names when I move them from iPad to Dropbox. So the goofiness is built into the native photo app and you can get around it by using another photo app, one that retains the original names. There are plenty of photo threads with app recommendations, so OP might want to search.

nilct

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use photo presentation for my work. I accidentally discovered that if you zip all your pictures in one folder and upload it to your ipad. The slide sequence would remain the same as you intented. The reason is that ipad sort it with time line when you sync the pictures. I think when you zip and unzip the file, it removes the time line of the pictures.

Most reactions