What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coastal Georgia - Sea Islands & Savannah

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Georgia Sea Turtle Center on Jekyll Island

The Georgia Sea Turtle Center which opened nearly 10 years ago is dedicated to the education, treatment, and rehabilitation of a variety of sea turtles (five species in Georgia - see quote below). Road signs like the one below caution motorists to look for turtles and about 200 or so are killed annually just on the Jekyll Island causeway.

The center is a fun visit and consists of a gift shop, exhibit area, treatment room (visible through a glass partition), and a rehabilitation building w/ multiple tanks - the turtles are mainly there for treatment and rehabilitation and are first given numbers and then names - log books can be viewed to look at the 'patient's' history. The Center is located in the historic district near the museum and is highly recommended if visiting the island - pics below pretty self-explanatory (some w/ labels). Dave :)

Jekyll Island has had an active sea turtle monitoring program since 1972, but because facilities to care for injured or sick turtles were generally far away, there was often little that could be done to save them. That changed in 2007 when the modern facility opened with the capability of providing state of the art care for turtles that otherwise might not have survived.

There are five species of sea turtles in Georgia and all five are protected by state and federal law. Diminishing habitat and injuries from boat propellers, fishing nets and other sources has caused the number of turtles to decline dramatically. As a result, creatures that have long been part of the state's unique cultural and natural heritage are not far removed from oblivion (Source).
JekyllSeaTurtle_Sign.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_BuildingOutside.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_InsdieB.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_InsideA.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_TreatmentRM.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_TurtleGITube.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_TankArea.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_Loggerhead.png
JekyllSeaTurtle_LogBook.jpg
JekyllSeaTurtle_RdSign.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dolphin Boat Tour from the Wharf

One afternoon, we took the 1:30 PM boat tour from the wharf shown previously - there were two local guides on the boat, one mainly driving and the other narrating - this was advertised as a 'dolphin sightseeing tour' and all the passengers were not disappointed. The first image below shows the boat we used w/ the dock at low tide, with high tide the dock is level to the adjacent one from where I took the picture. The next two pics show an aerial view of the southern portion of Jekyll Island and a satellite view of the island - on the latter, I've added some labels and the course of the tour.

From the wharf, the boat headed toward the bridge from the causeway to the island - the 'old bridge' (see arrow on next image) was left except for the center portion and converted into two fishing piers which was quite clever - there were at least 5 or 6 different types of birds sitting on the supports; just after the bridge, the Jekyll Island marina was passed, and plenty of boats were docked. The beaches along the west marsh side of the island had many beautiful 'dead' trees (killed by salt water w/ the changing tides - see the two pics); the beach continues to the southern end of the island.

This portion of the beach had many sea birds - in one pic a mast pokes up from the sand and actually is from a buried shrimp boat that ran aground and was eventually covered w/ sand - these barrier islands are constantly changing, i.e. enlarging or getting smaller. We did see dozens of dolphins of all sizes - the pic below is not mine but is from the same waters - I've taken dozens of boat rides, many looking for these sea mammals and taking pictures of these animals is not easy, so sorry did not even try this time! Also, this portion of the beach is known as 'Glory Beach' because some scenes from the movie Glory were filmed on that very beach (own the blu-ray disc of the film); one of our guides claimed to have been an 'extra' in the movie and got to know several of the main actors. Dave :)
BoatRide_PontoonBoat.JPG
BoatRide_GloryBeach.png
BoatRide_MapCourse.png
BoatRide_CausewayBridge.JPG
BoatRide_JIslandMarina.JPG
BoatRide_DeadTreesA.JPG
BoatRide_DeadTreeB.JPG
BoatRide_MastShrimpBoat.JPG
BoatRide_GloryBBirds.JPG
BoatRide_Dolphin.png
BoatRide_GloryDVD.png
BoatRide_GloryBeachScene.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jekyll Island - Historic District & Club Hotel - Introduction!

Jekyll Island is not large, about 7+ miles in length & 1.5+ miles across - the east side is along the Atlantic Ocean, while much of the other side is tidal marshland w/ miles of beaches in both locations. The first map below (turned about 90 degrees) shows the location of lodgings, restaurants, walking/bike trails, and other attractions - I've labeled the location of the Westin Hotel and also circled several areas of future interest - the most important being the historic district shown by the second map (next post).

Within the historic district is the Jekyll Island Club Hotel which consists of an older section w/ the turret, plus additions and also some other buildings on the premises that can also be rented. This hotel was a consideration for us, but we choose the more modern and much smaller Westin property, which offers free shuttles to any location on the island. At the Jekyll Island Museum (small but a good introduction), tram tours and/or horse carriage rides tour the historic area w/ a well done narration.

The historic wharf is shown in some of the last images - several restaurants are located there and dolphin boat tours can be taken (a future post) - since this coastal area is tidal marsh land, considerable rises & fall in tide occur which average about 8 ft - my pics below show the wharf in low tide - I was able to also snap an image of a blue heron. Next post will be about the historic district - Dave :)
View attachment 71195 View attachment 71196 View attachment 71197 View attachment 71198 View attachment 71199 View attachment 71200 View attachment 71201 View attachment 71202 View attachment 71203 View attachment 71204
The Club Hotel took us back over100 years. We almost expected to meet JP Morgan (though he probably would have considered us riff-raff and asked us to leave) The white-clad croquet players look the same as their 1886 counterparts.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Georgia & Jekyll Island - Establishment and Early History

In the latter 17th & early 18th centuries, the English in the Carolina colonies, the Spanish in St. Augustine, Florida, and the French in Louisiana were all interested in the coastal area between South Carolina and northern Florida. The English wanted to establish a 'buffer colony' to prevent the Spanish from invading up the eastern coast, and thus Georgia was founded as the 13th colony. The first English settlement was short-lived and was a small fort (King George - an upcoming post) on the Darien River built in 1721. However, James Oglethorpe succeeded w/ the finding of Savannah in 1732, along w/ other towns & forts further south.

Oglethorpe also named Jekyll Island after his friend, Joseph Jekyll. The first English settler on the island was Major William Horton (see quote below) - he was one of Oglethorpe's top military officers and built the tabby structure which is now a historic site - Horton ran a plantation producing crops and Georgia's first beer, primarily to help supply Frederica/Fort Frederica (also another upcoming post) on St. Simon's Island. The DuBignon family, which owned Jekyll from 1790-1886 and occupied the house as their home from 1790 until sometime in the mid-1800s - their small cemetery is across the street from the house.

Pics below are a mix of my own and ones from the web - most are self explanatory, including views of the house and a number of historic plaques - tabby was (and is still used for a historic look) a common 'construction concrete' of the time, made from sand, lime, water, and burned oyster shells (described on one of the signs) - the final image is my pic near the DuBignon cemetery showing the marshland w/ the Sidney Lanier bridge in the background and a shrimp boat (circled) in the right upper corner - Georgia shrimp have a wonderful texture and taste - a MUST try when in the area. Dave :)

View attachment 71237 View attachment 71238 View attachment 71239 View attachment 71240 View attachment 71241 View attachment 71242 View attachment 71243 View attachment 71244 View attachment 71245
I wondered how Jekyll Island got its name. I thought it was somehow related to “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.” The island was more historic than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Susan & I just returned from a 6-night trip to the Georgia Coast - 4 nights on Jekyll Island and the last 2 nights in Savannah - see the initial maps below - pretty much a straight north-south route and about a 6-hr drive (little over 400 miles) vs. a 5-hr drive back from Savannah. The Georgia coast is just 100 miles or so in length w/ Brunswick being the historic mainland town. The main sea islands (also known as the Golden Isles) are St. Simons, Little St. Simons, Sea Island, and Jekyll Island - there are only 4 barrier islands in Georgia that have causeway access, i.e. three of the four just mentioned (Little St. Simons by boat only) and Tybee Island near Savannah - several more pics of the islands including a satellite view.

Jekyll Island is the southern most of the Sea Islands and along w/ St. Simons Island has a long history, some of which I'll cover and illustrate in future posts - quoted below the introduction from the link above (much more in the Wiki article). We stayed at the new Westin Hotel (just celebrated its first year anniversary) - loved the architecture and the decor (part of the lobby shown below). We opted for an oceanfront room and were on the 4th floor - a couple of my pics from the room's balcony; the landscaping is beautiful w/ plenty of varied flora, including a number of different types of palm trees; the shallow dunes line the long pristine beaches; well paved pathways (for bikes & pedestrians) pretty much encircle the entire island.

More to follow - :) Dave

View attachment 71184 View attachment 71185 View attachment 71186 View attachment 71187 View attachment 71188 View attachment 71189 View attachment 71190 View attachment 71191 View attachment 71192 View attachment 71193
I’m glad we chose the ****Westin. By forgoing maid service we earned an extra 5000 poinra on our rewards card and $10 food/beverage credit. (I love discounts; we also got the AARP rate) The bar was small and noisy, but I did drink several “summer mojitos” that included crushed strawberries. “Historic” hotels often have outdated, small rooms. When it comes to overnight accommodations I prefer modern with an ocean view. There are also some chain hotels and condos on the island, also nice-looking.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dolphin Boat Tour from the Wharf

One afternoon, we took the 1:30 PM boat tour from the wharf shown previously - there were two local guides on the boat, one mainly driving and the other narrating - this was advertised as a 'dolphin sightseeing tour' and all the passengers were not disappointed. The first image below shows the boat we used w/ the dock at low tide, with high tide the dock is level to the adjacent one from where I took the picture. The next two pics show an aerial view of the southern portion of Jekyll Island and a satellite view of the island - on the latter, I've added some labels and the course of the tour.

From the wharf, the boat headed toward the bridge from the causeway to the island - the 'old bridge' (see arrow on next image) was left except for the center portion and converted into two fishing piers which was quite clever - there were at least 5 or 6 different types of birds sitting on the supports; just after the bridge, the Jekyll Island marina was passed, and plenty of boats were docked. The beaches along the west marsh side of the island had many beautiful 'dead' trees (killed by salt water w/ the changing tides - see the two pics); the beach continues to the southern end of the island.

This portion of the beach had many sea birds - in one pic a mast pokes up from the sand and actually is from a buried shrimp boat that ran aground and was eventually covered w/ sand - these barrier islands are constantly changing, i.e. enlarging or getting smaller. We did see dozens of dolphins of all sizes - the pic below is not mine but is from the same waters - I've taken dozens of boat rides, many looking for these sea mammals and taking pictures of these animals is not easy, so sorry did not even try this time! Also, this portion of the beach is known as 'Glory Beach' because some scenes from the movie Glory were filmed on that very beach (own the blu-ray disc of the film); one of our guides claimed to have been an 'extra' in the movie and got to know several of the main actors. Dave :)
View attachment 71256 View attachment 71257 View attachment 71258 View attachment 71259 View attachment 71260 View attachment 71261 View attachment 71262 View attachment 71263 View attachment 71264 View attachment 71265 View attachment 71266 View attachment 71267
Thanks for another interesting travel post. It's been quite interesting learning about an area I previously knew nothing about.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
St. Simons Island - Introduction, Pier Village, & Trolley Tour

On our second day, we drove off Jekyll Island and over the Sidney Lanier bridge and were soon on St. Simons Island and our first stop was Pier Village. St. Simons Island is the largest of the Georgia Golden Isles, the most developed, and the most populous; plus, since our last visit, the island has become rather congested w/ traffic and the summer season has not even arrived! The island has a long history starting w/ Native Americans and followed by attempts between controlling the area by the British, Spanish, and French - there are two National Monuments on St. Simons remembering the Battle of Bloody Marsh & the short-lived town and fort at Frederica (both upcoming posts) - several quotes below of this history from the link given above.

Pier Village is located at the southern tip of the island and has shops & restaurants - also located there is the long pier which has views of Jekyll Island and the Sidney Lanier bridge - see the first images below w/ a map, initial views of the pier area, and B & Bs along the shore; close to the town is a fabulous 4* resort that we visited - just beautiful inside and a possible future stay for us. We took a 90-minute trolley tour w/ a wonderful guide named Rod (two pics shown) who narrates and shows all you need to know about the island, including restaurant recommendations; we ate lunch at Iguanas - shared a dozen James River oysters and had their wonderful Georgia shrimp salad.

The views from the peer are panoramic - islands, bridge, shore, St. Simons Lighthouse, and even a sedate pelican sitting at the end of the pier - artists are painting and many are fishing. After lunch, we visited the resort shown previously and ended the afternoon w/ a tour of Frederica/Fort Frederica - a must recommendation along w/ the trolley tour. Dave :)

Originally inhabited by tribes of the Creek Nation, the area of South Georgia that includes St. Simons Island was contested by the Spaniards, English and French.[5] After securing the Georgia colony, the English cultivated the land for rice and cottonplantations worked by large numbers of African slaves, who created the unique Gullah culture that survives to this day.[6]

During the plantation era, Saint Simons became a center of cotton production known for its long fiber Sea Island Cotton. Nearly the entire island was cleared of trees to make way for several large cotton plantations. These were worked by African slaves and their descendants. The plantations of this and other Sea Islands were large, and often the owners stayed on the mainland in Darien and other towns, especially during the summers. This season was considered bad for diseases of the lowlands. A concentration of Africans on these islands led to the development of the Gullah people, preserving more remnants of West African ethnic groups than in areas of the Upper South, where African-American slaves were held in smaller groups and interacted more with whites. The Gullah language and culture has survived into the 21st century, although much disrupted through the 20th.
1A_Simons_Map.png
1B_Simons_WelcomeSign.png
1C_Simons_PierVillageWeb.png
1D_Simons_VillagePierA.JPG
1E_Simons_KingPrinceResort.png
2A_Simons_PierVillageBBs.JPG
2B_Simons_TrolleyTour.png
2C_Simons_Trolley_Rod.png
3A_Simons_IguanasRestaurant.png
3B_Simons_IguanasLunch.png
4A_Simons_LanierBridge.JPG
4B_Simons_Pier_Pelican.JPG
4C_Simons_LighthousePierView.JPG
4D_Simons_LighthouseFrontWeb.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Battle of Bloody Marsh - July 7, 1742

St. Simons Island has two National Monuments, i.e. one dedicating the Battle of Bloody Marsh and Fort Frederica (next post). The British & Spanish were in constant conflict at the time over the control of the Georgia coast - in 1740, Oglethorpe raided a number of Spanish forts and attempted a failed siege on St. Augustine. In retaliation, the Spanish wanted to capture Frederica/Fort Frederica and landed and took the small poorly manned Fort St. Simons near the present day Pier Village - their larger force moved along the 'Military Road' and encountered the British leading to the battle described in the quote. Obviously, this was not a major fight but virtually ended any further attempts by the Spanish to control the lower Carolina/Georgia lands.

Shown below are several maps indicating the location of 'Bloody Marsh' on the island along w/ the Spanish invasion plan (note that South is at the top); additional pics summarizing the battle, along w/ some current views of the area w/ a small monument (plaque shown) and an explanatory exhibit - Rod our guide was quite animated & thorough in describing this small & brief battle. Dave :)

The Battle of Bloody Marsh took place on July 7, 1742 between Spanish and British forces on St. Simons Island, part of the Province of Georgia, resulting in a victory for the British. Part of a much larger conflict known as the War of Jenkins' Ear, the battle was for the British fortifications of Fort Frederica and Fort St. Simons, with the strategic goal the sea routes and inland waters they controlled. With the victory, the Province of Georgia established undisputed claim to the island. It is now part of the U.S. state of Georgia. The British also won the Battle of Gully Hole Creek, which took place on the island the same day.
BloodyMarsh_Map.png
BloodyMarsh_MapRoute.png
BloodyMarsh_DescriptionA.png
BloodyMarsh_DescriptionB.png
BloodyMarsh_MonumentStone.png
BloodyMarsh_ViewToday.png
BloodyMarsh_Markers.png
BloodyMarsh_MonumentPlaque.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Battle of Bloody Marsh - July 7, 1742

St. Simons Island has two National Monuments, i.e. one dedicating the Battle of Bloody Marsh and Fort Frederica (next post). The British & Spanish were in constant conflict at the time over the control of the Georgia coast - in 1740, Oglethorpe raided a number of Spanish forts and attempted a failed siege on St. Augustine. In retaliation, the Spanish wanted to capture Frederica/Fort Frederica and landed and took the small poorly manned Fort St. Simons near the present day Pier Village - their larger force moved along the 'Military Road' and encountered the British leading to the battle described in the quote. Obviously, this was not a major fight but virtually ended any further attempts by the Spanish to control the lower Carolina/Georgia lands.

Shown below are several maps indicating the location of 'Bloody Marsh' on the island along w/ the Spanish invasion plan (note that South is at the top); additional pics summarizing the battle, along w/ some current views of the area w/ a small monument (plaque shown) and an explanatory exhibit - Rod our guide was quite animated & thorough in describing this small & brief battle. Dave :)

View attachment 71287 View attachment 71288 View attachment 71289 View attachment 71290 View attachment 71291 View attachment 71292 View attachment 71293 View attachment 71294
There's an incredible amount of history almost everywhere if you look for it.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's an incredible amount of history almost everywhere if you look for it.

Yep - coastal Virginia, the Carolinas, & Georgia has just SO much history - and about to put a post together on Frederica - :) Dave

Last edited:

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Georgia Sea Turtle Center on Jekyll Island

The Georgia Sea Turtle Center which opened nearly 10 years ago is dedicated to the education, treatment, and rehabilitation of a variety of sea turtles (five species in Georgia - see quote below). Road signs like the one below caution motorists to look for turtles and about 200 or so are killed annually just on the Jekyll Island causeway.

The center is a fun visit and consists of a gift shop, exhibit area, treatment room (visible through a glass partition), and a rehabilitation building w/ multiple tanks - the turtles are mainly there for treatment and rehabilitation and are first given numbers and then names - log books can be viewed to look at the 'patient's' history. The Center is located in the historic district near the museum and is highly recommended if visiting the island - pics below pretty self-explanatory (some w/ labels). Dave :)

View attachment 71246 View attachment 71247 View attachment 71248 View attachment 71249 View attachment 71250 View attachment 71251 View attachment 71252 View attachment 71253 View attachment 71254 View attachment 71255
I knew this was a rehab center but was somewhat surprised that the staff referred to the turtles as “patients.” When we looked through the glass of the treatment room I was amused that there was a big sign Radiology. I didn’t think that turtles need the same care as humans.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
St. Simons Island - Introduction, Pier Village, & Trolley Tour

On our second day, we drove off Jekyll Island and over the Sidney Lanier bridge and were soon on St. Simons Island and our first stop was Pier Village. St. Simons Island is the largest of the Georgia Golden Isles, the most developed, and the most populous; plus, since our last visit, the island has become rather congested w/ traffic and the summer season has not even arrived! The island has a long history starting w/ Native Americans and followed by attempts between controlling the area by the British, Spanish, and French - there are two National Monuments on St. Simons remembering the Battle of Bloody Marsh & the short-lived town and fort at Frederica (both upcoming posts) - several quotes below of this history from the link given above.

Pier Village is located at the southern tip of the island and has shops & restaurants - also located there is the long pier which has views of Jekyll Island and the Sidney Lanier bridge - see the first images below w/ a map, initial views of the pier area, and B & Bs along the shore; close to the town is a fabulous 4* resort that we visited - just beautiful inside and a possible future stay for us. We took a 90-minute trolley tour w/ a wonderful guide named Rod (two pics shown) who narrates and shows all you need to know about the island, including restaurant recommendations; we ate lunch at Iguanas - shared a dozen James River oysters and had their wonderful Georgia shrimp salad.

The views from the peer are panoramic - islands, bridge, shore, St. Simons Lighthouse, and even a sedate pelican sitting at the end of the pier - artists are painting and many are fishing. After lunch, we visited the resort shown previously and ended the afternoon w/ a tour of Frederica/Fort Frederica - a must recommendation along w/ the trolley tour. Dave :)

View attachment 71271 View attachment 71272 View attachment 71273 View attachment 71274 View attachment 71275 View attachment 71276 View attachment 71277 View attachment 71278 View attachment 71279 View attachment 71280 View attachment 71281 View attachment 71282 View attachment 71283 View attachment 71284
I expected St. Simons to be similar to Jekyll, but it was much more populated, built up and commercial. The history of the island was extensive.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Fort Frederica National Monument

Fort Frederica National Monument consists of the remains of the Fort and the Town - at its peak over a thousand soldiers and colonial citizens lived there - founded by James Oglethorpe in 1736 as the second town in Georgia and his preferred place to live vs. Savannah. The town was short-lived, especially after the Spanish threat was removed and peace declared - beginning Wiki article quoted below (link above).

Today, there is a nice visitor center w/ a 23 minute film and exhibits about the fort & town when alive and active - the grounds show the expanse of the town w/ the street names posted - Broad was the main street, splitting the town in half. There are many foundation ruins w/ plaques explaining the people who lived in the buildings; remains of the fort and soldier's barracks are also present. Magnificent live oaks w/ much Spanish moss adorn the property - orange trees are even present, planted by the colonists for their fragrance. The first images below show the location of the fort & town on St. Simons Island along w/ the entrance & visitor center; most of the remaining pics are my own and self-explanatory (w/ some labels added). This must have been an interesting place to visit back around 1740 or so - highly recommended, if in the area. Dave :)

Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids.[4] About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort. A town of up to 500 colonial residents had grown up outside the fort; it was laid out following principles of the Oglethorpe Plan for towns in the Georgia Colony. The town was named Frederica, after Frederick, Prince of Wales, son of King George II. The monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
Frederica_1A_MapLocation.png
Frederica_1B_SatelliteView.png
Frederica_1C_EntranceSign.png
Frederica_1D_VisitorCenter.png
Frederica_1E_StreetPlan.png
Frederica_2A_BroadSt.JPG
Frederica_2B_NamesOaks.JPG
Frederica_2C_StreetNamesA.JPG
Frederica_3A_FoundationB.JPG
Frederica_3B_FoundationLiveOak.JPG
Frederica_3C_BuildingA.JPG
Frederica_4A_FortRemains.png
Frederica_4B_BritishFlag.JPG
Frederica_4C_CanonSecond.JPG
Frederica_4D_FortCanon.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fort Frederica National Monument

Fort Frederica National Monument consists of the remains of the Fort and the Town - at its peak over a thousand soldiers and colonial citizens lived there - founded by James Oglethorpe in 1736 as the second town in Georgia and his preferred place to live vs. Savannah. The town was short-lived, especially after the Spanish threat was removed and peace declared - beginning Wiki article quoted below (link above).

Today, there is a nice visitor center w/ a 23 minute film and exhibits about the fort & town when alive and active - the grounds show the expanse of the town w/ the street names posted - Broad was the main street, splitting the town in half. There are many foundation ruins w/ plaques explaining the people who lived in the buildings; remains of the fort and soldier's barracks are also present. Magnificent live oaks w/ much Spanish moss adorn the property - orange trees are even present, planted by the colonists for their fragrance. The first images below show the location of the fort & town on St. Simons Island along w/ the entrance & visitor center; most of the remaining pics are my own and self-explanatory (w/ some labels added). This must have been an interesting place to visit back around 1740 or so - highly recommended, if in the area. Dave :)

View attachment 71302 View attachment 71303 View attachment 71304 View attachment 71305 View attachment 71306 View attachment 71307 View attachment 71308 View attachment 71309 View attachment 71310 View attachment 71311 View attachment 71312 View attachment 71313 View attachment 71314 View attachment 71315 View attachment 71316
I'm surprised that so little remains of the fort and town. We're the remains salvaged for building material?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm surprised that so little remains of the fort and town. We're the remains salvaged for building material?

The military was disbanded about a half dozen years after the Battle of Bloody Marsh, and the town was in decline when a fire destroyed most of the buildings in the late 1750s - quote below from HERE.

Near Wilmington, NC on the opposite bank of the Cape Fear River is a similar historic site called Old Brunswick Town - second quote below from the link - touring the current site is similar to walking through the remains of Frederica.

NOW, you may have heard of Brunswick Stew (see third quote) - classically should include 'critter meats', such as squirrel and rabbit, but usually only made w/ chicken now - BUT, the origin of the name is still unknown - there is a Brunswick County in Virginia and of course Brunswick, GA, however, North Carolinians might claim Old Brunswick Town? Dave :)

The British regiment disbanded in May 1749. With its departure, many of Frederica's townspeople relocated. Nine years later, in April 1758, a great fire swept Frederica, reducing much of it to ashes. Today the Fort Frederica National Monument ruins stand as a silent reminder of colonial military struggles.

A major pre-Revolutionary port on North Carolina's Cape Fear River, Brunswick was razed by British troops in 1776 and never rebuilt. During the Civil War, Fort Anderson was constructed atop the old village site, and served as part of the Cape Fear River defenses below Wilmington before the fall of the Confederacy. Colonial foundations dot the present-day tour trail, which crosses the earthworks of the Confederate fort.

Brunswick stew is a traditional dish, popular in the American South, associated with squirrel meat. The origin of the dish is uncertain, but it is believed to have been invented in the early 19th century by a plantation cook named Danny Mears. Two states compete for originating it, in addition to claims of a German origin.

Most reactions

Latest posts