What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hilton Head Island - Daufuskie Island - Savannah

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Savannah - Carriage Ride & City Market - Part 1

After departing the ferry, and taking the elevator up to the Hyatt Hotel, we first took the 'required' carriage ride - one of the most ubiquitous companies is the Savannah Carriage Tours - we went on a small one-horse carriage (shown below) that can accommodate 6-8 people (price $23/adult + tip); larger carriages w/ two horses are available, as are 'private' ones (cost $110/two + tip). Our guide was a native gal from Savannah, probably early 20s, and delightful - our horse is described/shown below (check the link for more information of the carriage company).

Our carriage route is also shown which included about a half dozen of the squares nearest the Savannah River - there are about two dozen beautiful squares in the city (which I've discussed and illustrated earlier in this thread). On our ride, we passed an interesting contraption that is driven by 'pedal power' only - the company is Savannah Pedals - I assume that w/ a BUNCH of friends, the vehicle is like a multi-person bike supplying the power - a beer tap is optional w/ the guide being the 'designated driver' - don't believe that Susan & I will opt for that option - ;)

We were left off at the Hyatt Hotel, a short walk to the City Market which was quite active on a Saturday afternoon - location shown below w/ a brief description of an approximate 4-block restoration containing shops/art galleries/restaurants/and street entertainment - highly recommended (some pics below) - in the area are plenty of restaurants and shopping - out next stops were a collection of art museums and finally dinner on the Riverfront - next post. Dave :)
View attachment 71470 View attachment 71471 View attachment 71472 View attachment 71473 View attachment 71474 View attachment 71475 View attachment 71476 View attachment 71477 View attachment 71478 View attachment 71479 View attachment 71480 View attachment 71481
No matter how many times I go there, I always enjoy the charm of Savannah--very Southern, very lovely and just a bit mysterious.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
April 15, 2017 - just a quick post!

The PGA Tour this week is on Hilton Head Island at the Harbour Town Golf Links - the island was devastated by Hurricane Matthew last fall, but has miraculously recovered in just 6+ months - the golf course looks in great shape although hundreds of trees were lost (thousands on the island overall).

BUT, the main reason for the posting, is the encounter w/ the gator in the video below - Ian Poulter (an English golfer) hit his ball in the water and had to take a penalty stroke and a drop - WELL, a large alligator appeared on the bank - what to do? Take a look at the video.

Many years ago when I ran our first summer radiology course on Kiawah Island (ca. 1984), my in-laws came down from New Jersey - my FIL and I played a round of golf and on one hole, I hit my ball near some water - while approaching the spot, a large alligator emerged and decided to sun near my ball - well, I went to the other side of the fairway and dropped a new ball - we talked about that for years! :) Dave

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 6.03.38 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sunrise Photograph of the Tybee Island Pier and Pavilion by David Shipper

My SIL in Hot Springs, Arkansas just posted the first pic below on FB - photograph by the nature photographer, David Shipper, of the Tybee Island Pier at sunrise - beautiful! Tybee Island is the beach retreat for Savannah, GA that we have visited several times and was discussed in this thread HERE; the photo makes the pier seem so isolated and romantic, but the other pics show its location on the island and nearness to the town buildings - he must have been in an ideal spot and using the right lenses.

His sister lives in Hot Springs and knows my SIL - David lives in Beaufort, SC but shows his work there and also in Bluffton, SC and in Hot Springs. I have 3 of his photos, which I framed, in one of our bedrooms - if interested, click on his name above linked to his website - he offers numerous size and paper options and his prices are quite good - NOTE - I don't know him personally and have no financial connection. Dave :)

TybeeIsland0.png
TybeeIsland1.jpg
TybeeIsland2.jpg
TybeeIsland3.png

Most reactions