What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hilton Head Island - Daufuskie Island - Savannah

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit. The area near the waterfront with all the squares is always interesting to walk. And I always get fried green tomatoes! But don't forget to go to Tybee Island.

Hi Czevski - thanks for your comments, and if desired, please participate w/ your own experiences in the city and w/ the low country cuisine - I was not going to mention Tybee Island, but now that you brought up the topic, then I'll make a few comments - :)

Tybee Island is also one of the Sea Islands located at the mouth of the Savannah River near Ft. Pulaski - if you look at the first map in my initial post, then the geographic relationship of Savannah to the island is clear - HW 80 is the road to take! If you live in Savannah and want to visit the ocean, Tybee Island is the place to go. Pics below w/ a scenic map, an aerial view, and image of the lighthouse (all from the web - I've not been out there in many years). Dave

P.S. on a visit to Charleston, South Carolina, the ocean is also a short drive to Folly Island, Sullivan's Island, or the Isle of Palms.
TybeeIsland3.png
TybeeIsland2.png
TybeeIsland4.jpg
TybeeIsland1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Savannah, Georgia - Part 3 - Mansions & Houses

Around the beautiful squares shown in the previous post are mansions and houses of various sizes (one I'm saving for the next post, i.e. the Mercer House) - most of these are private residencies and a number are of historic interest and open to the public. So if you touring Savannah, either walking or riding, these buildings just add much to the pleasure of being in this city.

First pic is the Kessler Mansion, now a boutique hotel near Forsyth Park (quoted below a brief description). The Owens-Thomas house begun in 1816 and completed in 1819 is shown next and is located on the northeast corner of Oglethorpe Square. The next three mansions/houses are simply further examples of the varied, unique, and beautiful architecture to be seen; I'm sure everyone can guess which one is called the Gingerbread House (believe opened for tours, although we've never been there).

The last house shown (pink one) is the Green-Meidrim House (Info HERE), a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture built in the 1850s - also opened for tours. The house is of great historic interest being the headquarters of Major General William Tecumseh Sherman during his stay in Savannah after his march through Georgia from Atlanta (map below) to the sea in the latter part of 1864 - he captured Savannah just before Christmas and in a note to President Abraham Lincoln presented the city to him as a gift. Dave :)

P.S. Sherman spared Savannah from destruction which permits us to enjoy this antebellum city - why? If interested, check this Source.

This Kessler Collection boutique property has a AAA Four-Diamond distinction and is the city’s most recognized, iconic hotel. Renovated and reopened in 2005 by Savannahian and avid art collector Richard Kessler, Mansion on Forsyth Park is a work of art unto itself.

As you enter this grand 125-room Victorian Romanesque mansion you can get swept away by the elegance of onyx and Verona marble, Lalique chandelier and Versace furniture in the lobby. If that doesn’t take your breath away, the art collection of more than 400 original pieces throughout the mansion certainly will.

While waiting there, an English gentlemen, Mr. Charles Green, came and said that he had a find house completely furnished, for which he had no use, and offered it as headquarters. He explained, moreover, that General Howard had informed him, the day before, that I would want his house for headquarters. At first I strong disinclined to make use of any private dwelling, lest complaints should arise of damage and loss of furniture, and so expressed myself to Mr. Green; but, after riding about the city, and finding his house so spacious, so convenient, with large yard and stabling. I accepted his offer, and occupied that house during our stay in Savannah. He only reserved for himself the use of a couple of rooms above the dining-room, and we had all else, and a most excellent house it was in all respects.
General William T. Sherman, Sherman’s Memoirs, pp 494-495
SavGA_KesslerMansion.jpg
SavGA_OwensThomas.jpg

SavGA_MansionA.jpeg

SavGA_Mansion1.jpeg

Gingerbread-House.jpg
SavGA_Green_MHouse.jpg

SavGA_Sherman.jpg

SavGA_MarchSea.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post on some of Savannah's historic houses. I've enjoyed touring house museums in other cities. The last one I toured was the Molly Brown house in Denver, Colorado. She was best known as the unsinkable Molly Brown.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the post on some of Savannah's historic houses. I've enjoyed touring house museums in other cities. The last one I toured was the Molly Brown house in Denver, Colorado. She was best known as the unsinkable Molly Brown.

Hi Scifan.. - we've made one trip to Colorado - started in Colorado Springs (home of the Air Force Academy) and ended up in Denver w/ visits to Cripple Creek and the Rocky Mountain National Park, where we bought our owl kachina & a lovely vase (shown below; vase bottom left in the foyer cabinet) - BOY that was an expensive visit to a park gift shop - ;)

But in Denver we did visit the Molly Brown house, and have the DVD The Unsinkable Molly Brown w/ Debbie Reynolds & Harve Presnell - there are SO many historic houses to visit - our southeastern USA is just littered w/ options; by now, Susan could probably give the tours, particularly of tools used in the kitchens back in colonial times. Dave :)

OwlMan1.JPG
WWFoyer1.jpg

1340 Penn e.jpg

DVDMollyBrown.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Savannah, Georgia - Part 4 - Mercer House

Mercer-Williams House is now open to the public - this was our first visit; the house is not large and the tour is short and includes only the lower level, but we enjoyed for several reasons. First, the house was built for the Civil War General Hugh W. Mercer, who was the great grandfather of Johnny Mercer, born in Savannah but neither ever lived in the house - more on Johnny later. Second, the house was the setting for the Clint Eastwood directed film Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997) starring Kevin Spacey as Jim Williams, a local antique and art dealer who renovated the place around 1970 - quoted below more details (Source).

The movie above was based on the book of the same name - I own the film on DVD (and will replace w/ a blu-ray version when released if the restoration reviews and ratings are good) - when I re-watch this film, my feeling for the house scenes will be much more appreciated; this is also an interesting introduction to Savannah and its past (including voodoo history, if you might be into that sort of thing - ;)). A continuing motif from the book and film is the Bird Girl Statue (shown below) - one of the original bronze productions is in the famous Bonaventure Cemetery, an interesting & eerie place to visit - this town and movie can really capture your imagination.

Finally, the thread cannot be ended w/o mention of Johnny Mercer who was born in Savannah and became a famous lyricist, singer, and record producer - second quote below just a little introduction from HERE - be sure to go to the bottom of the Wiki link for a list of his songs - will amaze if you are a fan of the 20th century American songbook, and he wrote so many great ones over many decades. Pics below pretty evident - I took the outside ones, including Susan sitting on a bench near the Pulaski monument - the last one of Johnny @ the piano (cameras not allowed to be used inside the house). Dave :)

Although the Mercer-Williams House was cited as "nationally significant" for its architectural style in a historic foundation survey, this lovely home is perhaps best known for its connection to the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." The elegant Italianate mansion was the home of Jim Williams and the site of the killing of Danny Hansford in May of 1981. Designed by the New York architect, John Norris, the red brick home with tall arched windows and ornate ironwork balconies is considered one of the most beautiful in all Savannah. The house is filled with 18th century portraits and beautiful antique furnishings from Jim William's private collection.

Although built for Civil War General Hugh W. Mercer, great grandfather of songwriter and lyricist Johnny Mercer, the house would never be home to any of the Mercer family. Construction began in 1860 but completion was delayed due to the outbreak of the Civil War. It was not complete until 1869. It is said that Union soldiers used materials from the construction to build shelters in Monterey Square during their occupation. After the war, General Mercer was tried for the murder of two army deserters. He was eventually acquitted and released from jail, but decided to sell the home to John Wilder, who completed the construction.

Jim Williams bought the house in 1969 and began a 2-year renovation of the run-down property. This was one of fifty homes that Williams would be credited with saving and restoring. Accused of shooting Danny Hansford in the study of the Mercer House, Jim Williams was found not guilty of the murder after his fourth murder trial, but his victory would be short-lived. Williams died of pneumonia only six months later at the age of 59.

John Herndon "Johnny" Mercer (November 18, 1909 – June 25, 1976) was an American lyricist, songwriter and singer. He was also the founder of Capitol Records.

He is best known as a lyricist, but he also composed music. He was also a popular singer who recorded his own songs as well as those written by others. From the mid-1930s through the mid-1950s, many of the songs Mercer wrote and performed were among the most popular hits of the time. He wrote the lyrics to more than fifteen hundred songs, including compositions for movies and Broadway shows. He received nineteen Academy Award nominations, and won four.
HHI4_15_11.JPG

HHI4_15_10.JPG

Mercer-Williams-House9.jpg

HHI4_15_13.JPG

SavGA_MidnightMovie.jpg

SavGA_MidnightMovie2.jpg

SavGA_BirdGirl.jpg

Johnny-Mercer.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Savannah, Georgia - Part 4 - Mercer House

Mercer-Williams House is now open to the public - this was our first visit; the house is not large and the tour is short and includes only the lower level, but we enjoyed for several reasons. First, the house was built for the Civil War General Hugh W. Mercer, who was the great grandfather of Johnny Mercer, born in Savannah but neither ever lived in the house - more on Johnny later. Second, the house was the setting for the Clint Eastwood directed film Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997) starring Kevin Spacey as Jim Williams, a local antique and art dealer who renovated the place around 1970 - quoted below more details (Source).

The movie above was based on the book of the same name - I own the film on DVD (and will replace w/ a blu-ray version when released if the restoration reviews and ratings are good) - when I re-watch this film, my feeling for the house scenes will be much more appreciated; this is also an interesting introduction to Savannah and its past (including voodoo history, if you might be into that sort of thing - ;)). A continuing motif from the book and film is the Bird Girl Statue (shown below) - one of the original bronze productions is in the famous Bonaventure Cemetery, an interesting & eerie place to visit - this town and movie can really capture your imagination.

Finally, the thread cannot be ended w/o mention of Johnny Mercer who was born in Savannah and became a famous lyricist, singer, and record producer - second quote below just a little introduction from HERE - be sure to go to the bottom of the Wiki link for a list of his songs - will amaze if you are a fan of the 20th century American songbook, and he wrote so many great ones over many decades. Pics below pretty evident - I took the outside ones, including Susan sitting on a bench near the Pulaski monument - the last one of Johnny @ the piano (cameras not allowed to be used inside the house). Dave :)

View attachment 64288
View attachment 64289
View attachment 64290
View attachment 64291
View attachment 64292
View attachment 64293
View attachment 64294
View attachment 64295
Yet another reason to visit Savannah.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yet another reason to visit Savannah.

Well, I have a few more posts to go on the forts and the waterfront & port of Savannah - but just a little more on Johnny Mercer, the songwriter - he wrote lyrics to about 1500 songs and was a wonderful singer of his own creations (I have a nice compilation CD). He had many Oscar nominations and won 4 Academy awards for the songs shown below.

He is buried in Bonaventure Cemetery next to his wife - a memorial bench shows the lyrics to some of his most famous songs and a self-caricature of his facial profile on the top - visited that cemetery years ago and plan to return on our next visit (could be in a year! :)). Dave
Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 5.23.08 PM.png

4498443135_1ecb7202cc.jpg

bonaventure-cemetery.jpg

252982299_73212adefe.jpg

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cemeteries are wonderful places to visit. Thanks for the memory of Johnny Mercer's bench. I'm still looking for my Savannah-Tybee photos! I also appreciate the history reviews.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cemeteries are wonderful places to visit. Thanks for the memory of Johnny Mercer's bench. I'm still looking for my Savannah-Tybee photos! I also appreciate the history reviews.

Hi again Czevski - hope that you can find some of your Savannah-Tybee Island photos; if so, please feel free to post and also make comments about your visits to the city - the more the merrier! Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Savannah, Georgia - Part 5 - Historic Savannah River Forts

Several historic forts, i.e. Fort Jackson & Fort Pulaski, are located on the Savannah River east of the city w/ the latter fort being near the mouth of the waterway and close to Tybee Island. Coastal defense along the eastern Atlantic seaboard (and also around Florida and the Gulf coast communities) was a major concern in the latter 18th & 19th centuries - see the introductory quote below from HERE, which has extensive information on the reasons for these fortifications and also the types of forts & ordnance. These forts are now only of historic interest and can be reached by boat or car.

Fort Jackson was not named after Andrew Jackson but a previous governor of Georgia - see the second quote below (Source). The first 3 pics below show the plaque and several images of the fortification. Both of these landmark structures are worth a visit, especially if like me, you have an interest in military history and old forts - Susan often goes along, not so much out of interest but if a boat ride is in the deal - ;).

Fort Pulaski is on an island near Tybee Island - Robert E. Lee as a young lieutenant was an engineer who helped to construct & strengthen the fort - the structure was named for a Polish officer who lost his life during a battle for Savannah in the American Revolutionary War - see 3rd quote below (Source). With the development of rifled canons (such as the Parrott canon), and the bombardment of Ft. Pulaski during the Civil War from the Union forces on Tybee Island, masonry forts were considered obsolete (4th quote - Source) - see map below. The remaining pics are of Ft. Pulaski w/ the final one showing what these new rifled canon accomplished in April of 1862. Dave :)

Seacoast defense was a major concern for the United States from its independence until World War II. Before airplanes, America's enemies could only reach her from the sea, making coastal forts an economical alternative to standing armies or a large navy. After the 1940s it was recognized that fixed fortifications were obsolete and ineffective against aircraft and missiles. However, in prior eras foreign fleets were a realistic threat, and substantial fortifications were built at key locations, especially protecting major harbors.

Named after James Jackson, one-time governor of Georgia, Old Fort Jackson is a beautifully preserved fort along the Savannah River, and is Georgia's oldest standing brick fortification.

Old Fort Jackson is a must-see National Historic Landmark offering cannon firings and daily interactive programs. Please call for the daily schedule. Minutes away from Savannah's Historic District, visitors of all ages experience unique views of Savannah's riverfront skyline and the Talmadge Bridge while walking the grounds of one of the oldest brick fortifications along the East Coast.

Following the War of 1812, U.S. PresidentJames Madison ordered a new system of coastal fortifications to protect the United States against foreign invasion. Construction of a fort to protect the port of Savannah began in 1829 under the direction of Major General Babcock, and later Second Lieutenant Robert E. Lee, a recent graduate of West Point. The new fort would be located on Cockspur Island at the mouth of the Savannah River. In 1833, the facility was named Fort Pulaski in honor of Kazimierz Pulaski, a Polish soldier and military commander who fought in the American Revolutionunder the command of George Washington. Pulaski was a noted cavalryman and played a large role in training Revolutionary troops. He took part in the sieges of Charleston and of Savannah.

A Turning Point in Military History
For much of the 19th century, masonry fortifications were the United States’ main defense against overseas enemies. However, during the Civil War, new technology proved its superiority to these forts. The Union army used rifled cannon and compelled the Confederate garrison inside Fort Pulaski to surrender. The siege was a landmark experiment in the history of military science and invention
FtJackson.jpg

SavGA_FortJackson1.png

SavGA_FortJackson2.jpg

SavGA_FtPulaskiMap.jpg

FtPulaski2.jpg

SavGA_FortPulaski_2.png

SavGA_FortPulaski_1.jpg

FtPulaski1.jpg

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More Tybee Island hijack. Savannah and Tybee just go together for me.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
A great place to eat, views to watch all day, and a rainy day refuge.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Savannah, Georgia - Part 5 - Historic Savannah River Forts

Several historic forts, i.e. Fort Jackson & Fort Pulaski, are located on the Savannah River east of the city w/ the latter fort being near the mouth of the waterway and close to Tybee Island. Coastal defense along the eastern Atlantic seaboard (and also around Florida and the Gulf coast communities) was a major concern in the latter 18th & 19th centuries - see the introductory quote below from HERE, which has extensive information on the reasons for these fortifications and also the types of forts & ordnance. These forts are now only of historic interest and can be reached by boat or car.

Fort Jackson was not named after Andrew Jackson but a previous governor of Georgia - see the second quote below (Source). The first 3 pics below show the plaque and several images of the fortification. Both of these landmark structures are worth a visit, especially if like me, you have an interest in military history and old forts - Susan often goes along, not so much out of interest but if a boat ride is in the deal - ;).

Fort Pulaski is on an island near Tybee Island - Robert E. Lee as a young lieutenant was an engineer who helped to construct & strengthen the fort - the structure was named for a Polish officer who lost his life during a battle for Savannah in the American Revolutionary War - see 3rd quote below (Source). With the development of rifled canons (such as the Parrott canon), and the bombardment of Ft. Pulaski during the Civil War from the Union forces on Tybee Island, masonry forts were considered obsolete (4th quote - Source) - see map below. The remaining pics are of Ft. Pulaski w/ the final one showing what these new rifled canon accomplished in April of 1862. Dave :)

View attachment 64304
View attachment 64305
View attachment 64306
View attachment 64307
View attachment 64308
View attachment 64309
View attachment 64310
View attachment 64311
Those forts would definitely be on my must see list if I get to visit Savannah, thanks for the post.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those forts would definitely be on my must see list if I get to visit Savannah, thanks for the post.

Plenty of forts to see on the Carolina coast - of course, Ft. Sumter in Charleston harbor, a boat ride takes you where the American Civil War started in April 1861 - then Ft. Fischer south of Wilmington, NC @ the mouth of the Cape Fear River, which fell to the Union at the end of 1864 leading to capture of the last major Confederate blockade running city; and then Ft. Macon at the northern tip of Atlantic Beach near Morehead City and Beaufort, NC, a historic North Carolina town (3rd oldest) - the pirate Blackbeard's ship the 'Queen Anne's Revenge' was sunk nearby - numerous archeologic diving explorations have recovered many artifacts which are displayed at the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort. Dave :)
1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And a few Tybee Island turtles. (The photos are from 2007 so I hope they still are there.)View attachment 64321

Hi Czevski - thanks for your posts about Tybee Island - those reading your comments and viewing the turtle pics might be interested in the local opportunities to learn about these wonderful creatures - :)

Susan & I have been on several nature tours that provided a lot of information about the Loggerhead Sea Turtle - click the Wiki link for much more information. Loggerhead turtles exist throughout the world (see the purple areas on the map below), including the Carolina-Georgia coast. The adult turtle is beautiful (second image) w/ long swimming limbs making the animal awkward on land - the tracks of the female turtle can often be seen on the beaches as shown in the third image.

Conservation & protection efforts are important activities in the coastal communities w/ involvement of professionals and amateurs alike - the next two pics show the typical nesting protection procedures that are done, and also a common site while walking the beaches (important - do not disturb!). The final image shows hatchlings trying to make it to the sea - predators are common, especially for the young ones. Now I've never observed a female loggerhead emerging from the surf to bury her eggs nor the new hatchlings crawling to the ocean - would be fun! Dave :)

P.S. all pics below from the web and many from the Carolina islands.

2000px-Cypron-Range_Caretta_caretta.svg.png

loggerhead.jpg

BT0807Cov_She came she saw she laid some eggs.jpg

Loggerhead-Turtles-in-Hilton-Head.png

UTxWN.AuSt.9.jpeg

baby-turtles.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions