What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tampa Bay Area - St. Petersburg Beach, Florida

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sunken Gardens

On our 4th and final full day, Susan enjoyed the Don CeSar spa in the morning while I took a long walk on the beach - we had a late brunch, and then headed back into St. Petersburg BUT for more nature - the city has preserved some beautiful natural places right w/i the town in the midst of the commercial and residential neighborhoods.

Our first of two visits for the afternoon, was to the Sunken Gardens, right on busy 4th Street (see satellite map below), but stepping into the gardens is like visiting a tropical island - the place is not large, only about 4 acres - see description quoted from the link given; a diagrammatic map is easily followed.

The paths are beautiful w/ luscious and varied vegetation - a popular site for weddings. Small waterways and falls are seen along the leisurely excursion - the plants are numerous and cacti of different types are present. Fish, flamingos, parrots, cockatoos, and macaws are mostly in enclosures or cages, and a number will 'talk' - visit just takes an hour or so unless one wants to linger, sit, and photograph - numerous pics below - worth a visit. Dave :)

Located in the heart of St. Petersburg, this historic botanical oasis behind vine-covered walls offers tropical plants, colorful flower beds, meandering paths, picturesque ponds and cascading waterfalls. Green space in sunny St. Petersburg is abundant, but the intimate Sunken Gardens are something truly special, and a demonstration of craftsmanship. This is not your usual city park: Over 500,000 tropical plants and flowers fill this exotic attraction that is almost hidden behind vine-covered walls.

Created in the early 1900s by a plumber called George Turner, the Sunken Gardens are now maintained by the city. Turner drained a lake and planted seeds on the rich soil. When the garden became big, he started charging people to admire his handiwork, and later generations kept the gardens alive as a botanical park.

Making your way around, it’s hard to know where to look. The place is packed with orchids, pink bougainvillea, royal palms, fruit trees and cacti, among other species. Follow the designated paths around the 4-acre (1.6-hectare) grounds and discover themed gardens, including Japanese and butterfly sections.
Sunken_1aGardens_Sign.png
Sunken_1bGardens_SatelliteMap.png
Sunken_1cGardens_Diagram.png
Sunken_1dGardens_WeddingSetup.png
Sunken_1eGardens_CoveredPath.png
Sunken_1fGardens_Path.png
Sunken_1gGardens_SmBridge.png
Sunken_1hGardens_WaterfallBridge.png
Sunken_1iGardens_Cacti.JPG
Sunken_1jGardens_Bougainvillea.JPG
Sunken_1kGardens_FloweringCactus.JPG
Sunken_1lGardens_Gardenias.JPG
Sunken_1mGardens_FishPond.png
Sunken_1oGardens_Flamingos2.png
Sunken_1pGardens_BirdCacatoo.png
Sunken_1nGardens_Flamingos1.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The sunken gardens are beautiful! Is admission free?

Our first visit there - the gardens are about 100 years old and have some of the oldest tropical plants in the area - regular entrance fee is $10 USD for adults and $8 for seniors, so our cost was $16, well worth the price - below are two of the better YouTube videos on the gardens (short) that I reviewed - tried to find a good video of the talking bird named Paquita but no luck. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sawgrass Lake Park

Our second stop for the afternoon, a new experience for us, and yet another wonderful natural oasis w/i the city of St. Petersburg - a brief description quoted below (Source). There is no admission fee for this park - a long multi-branch boardwalk w/ an observation tower allows plenty of opportunities to explore the flora and fauna of the swamp and lake.

Initial pics show a satellite image w/ surrounding residential/commercial developments and I-275 (traffic noise is heard w/i the park). Other images mainly of animals and plenty of birds, many are my own. Today was yet two new discoveries despite being to the St. Pete's area a half dozen times in the past! Dave :)

Sawgrass Lake Park, 400 acres in size, allows people to walk through one of the largest maple swamps on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The park’s mile-long boardwalk and half-mile dirt trail provide opportunities to see birds, butterflies, plants and animals in their natural settings within the most densely populated county in Florida. Herons, egrets, ibis, wood storks, alligators and turtles can be seen along the canals and lakes. Thousands of birds migrate through the park during the fall and spring, attracting birders and eco-tourists from all over the country.

Sawgrass Lake Park is mentioned by the Great Florida Birding Trail and the National Audubon Society as one of the premier birding sites in Florida.
Sawgrass_1aLake_Sign.png
Sawgrass_1bLake_SatelliteMap.png
Sawgrass_1c_BoardwalkSigns.JPG
Sawgrass_1dLake_TowerObservation.png
Sawgrass_1e_Boardwalk.JPG
Sawgrass_1f_Duck.JPG
Sawgrass_1g_DuckSecond.JPG
Sawgrass_1h_DucksChicks.JPG
Sawgrass_1i_DucksChicksTurtle.JPG
Sawgrass_1j_Alligator4Yrs.JPG
Sawgrass_1k_SmAlligator.JPG
Sawgrass_1lLake_Snake.png
Sawgrass_1m_Turtle.JPG
Sawgrass_1n_SmHeron.JPG
Sawgrass_1oLake_Heron.png
Sawgrass_1q_HeronSGLake.JPG
Sawgrass_1r_AnhingaMom.JPG
Sawgrass_1s_AnhingaWings.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, my last post completed our current trip to the Tampa Bay Area - now, I was planning to add more posts from previous trips to Tampa, Clearwater, & Tarpon Springs to more completely cover the numerous places to visit and the other activities available for those who may be interested in this area; but, I see only 600+ views of this 4 page thread and the lack of interest just does not justify the time I put into these posts - I was hoping for some 'locals' to 'chime in' but not happening - only Scifan.. (my faithful follower - :)) and my wife who I had to twist her arm to reply - SO, will end this thread for the moment. Thanks to those who have shown an interest and given me some 'Likes' - Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts