What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tampa Bay Area - St. Petersburg Beach, Florida

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, March has arrived and Susan & I have some monthly trips planned - the first was a delayed birthday gift for her (January - mine is in April and we'll be traveling to the Georgia Coast) - this time we returned to the Tampa Bay Area - brief quote below of the size and population of the region from the link. Our specific destination was a 5-night stay at the Don CeSar Resort on St. Pete's Beach - this was our 5th visit there done over nearly a 40-year period.

Tampa-Clearwater-St. Petersburg are located along the west central coast of Florida (see first two maps below and notice the closeness to Orlando, i.e. Disney World). We flew into the Tampa Airport, picked up a rental car, and drove just 30 minutes or so to the resort (see additional maps of the route, Tampa Area, and some satellite views of the land and water - beautiful!). The last four images are of the Don CeSar Hotel from the front, back, and views of the two pools and the Gulf of Mexico. Unlike the Florida east coast, the sun sets over the water providing some spectacular views.

This travelogue will first discuss our present visit, which included a number of day trips to state parks and other cities (on one of the satellite views, I've circled some of the towns, cities, etc. that will be included in upcoming posts); I'll cover some of our previous trips to the area (probably at least a dozen or more) just to give those who may be traveling to the Central Florida some suggestions for activities. Also, I imagine that there are forum members who live in the area; if so, please 'chime in' w/ corrections (not a native Floridian BUT frequent visitor) and add some posts. Hope all viewing this thread will enjoy - Dave :)

The Tampa Bay Area is a metropolitan region of west central Florida adjacent to Tampa Bay - it is often considered equivalent to the Tampa–St. Petersburg–Clearwater Metropolitan Statistical Area (or MSA) defined by the United States Census Bureau. A wider definition including adjacent counties is adopted by most others. The Tampa Bay media market also includes Citrus, Manatee, Sarasota, and Polk counties.

The largest cities in the Tampa Bay Area are Tampa in Hillsborough County, and the cities of St. Petersburg and Clearwater in Pinellas County. The population of the Tampa Bay Area is estimated at 4,310,524 people as of 2012. A 2012 estimate of the Tampa Bay Area shows a projection of about 4.7 million residents by 2017.
1_StPete_FLMapGeneral.png
2_StPete_FLMapDetail.png
3_StPeteBeach_TouristMap.png
4_StPeteBeach_DrivingMap.png
5_StPeteBeach_DonCesar.png
6_StPete_DonC.png
7_StPete_DonC_Sign.png
8_StPete_DonCFront.jpg
9_StPetes16_Don.JPG
10_StPete_DonCPools.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, March has arrived and Susan & I have some monthly trips planned - the first was a delayed birthday gift for her (January - mine is in April and we'll be traveling to the Georgia Coast) - this time we returned to the Tampa Bay Area - brief quote below of the size and population of the region from the link. Our specific destination was a 5-night stay at the Don CeSar Resort on St. Pete's Beach - this was our 5th visit there done over nearly a 40-year period.

Tampa-Clearwater-St. Petersburg are located along the west central coast of Florida (see first two maps below and notice the closeness to Orlando, i.e. Disney World). We flew into the Tampa Airport, picked up a rental car, and drove just 30 minutes or so to the resort (see additional maps of the route, Tampa Area, and some satellite views of the land and water - beautiful!). The last four images are of the Don CeSar Hotel from the front, back, and views of the two pools and the Gulf of Mexico. Unlike the Florida east coast, the sun sets over the water providing some spectacular views.

This travelogue will first discuss our present visit, which included a number of day trips to state parks and other cities (on one of the satellite views, I've circled some of the towns, cities, etc. that will be included in upcoming posts); I'll cover some of our previous trips to the area (probably at least a dozen or more) just to give those who may be traveling to the Central Florida some suggestions for activities. Also, I imagine that there are forum members who live in the area; if so, please 'chime in' w/ corrections (not a native Floridian BUT frequent visitor) and add some posts. Hope all viewing this thread will enjoy - Dave :)

View attachment 70733 View attachment 70734 View attachment 70735 View attachment 70736 View attachment 70737 View attachment 70738 View attachment 70739 View attachment 70740 View attachment 70741 View attachment 70742
It's a wonderful pink hotel.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a wonderful pink hotel.

Hi Scifan.. - as expected, you are the first to respond - thanks! :)

The Don CeSar Hotel has always been a favorite for us - as mentioned probably elsewhere, Susan has always loved Florida pink hotels and this one tops her list. The amenities, service, and food are excellent - nightly entertainment in the bar (three nights w/ an outstanding jazz quartet). Three different restaurants along w/ pool and bar food menus. Plus, the location of the hotel is great for day trips, as will be evident in upcoming posts. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Myakka River State Park - Part 1

Florida has numerous nature parks, so always a pleasure to leave the developed areas & cities to visit the native flora & fauna of the state. For our first all day trip, we drove about an hour to Myakka River State Park. The route crosses the lower end of the huge Tampa Bay over the beautiful Sunshine Skyway Bridge which is just over a mile long and 430 ft peak height (check short quote below and link - there have been over 200 suicides since its opening); the first pics below show the route on I-275 to I-75 to the park near Sarasota (an upcoming day trip post).

Myakka River State Park is described below (second quote; link above) - the river and several lakes are on the property (the upper lake can be viewed on an air-boat ride or canoe rentals) - see satellite and diagrammatic maps; there is a gift shop w/ a decent restaurant for a quick lunch or snack - a combination ticket includes a narrated air-boat cruise on the lake and an open tram ride (pics below) w/ excellent commentary by the driver/guide. There are numerous opportunities to see many different kinds of animals; of course, many alligators live in the park (last images below) - note the pics in these posts will be a mixture of my own and ones from the web. Part 2 of this split post will show some of the other animals - this was a throughly enjoyable day and a pleasant break from the 'hotel environment' - Dave :)

The Bob Graham Sunshine Skyway Bridge, commonly known as the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, is a bridge spanning Tampa Bay, Florida, with a cable-stayed main span, and a total length of 21,877 feet (4.1 miles or approximately 6.67 km).[7] It is part of I-275 (SR 93) and US 19 (SR 55), connecting St. Petersburg in Pinellas County and Terra Ceia in Manatee County, Florida, passing through Hillsborough County waters. Construction of the current bridge began in 1982, and the completed bridge was dedicated on February 7, 1987. The new bridge cost $244 million to build, and was opened to traffic on April 20, 1987. It replaced an older bridge constructed in 1954, which was partly destroyed in a collision in 1980. (see link above)

Myakka River State Park is in the southeastern conifer forests ecoregion. Plant communities in areas of the park with drier soils are a mixture of pine forests, scrub, and prairies. Florida longleaf pine sandhills are woodlands dominated by longleaf pine (Pinus palustris). South Florida pine flatwoods are open woodlands of (Pinus elliottii var. densa) with a dense ground cover of grasses and shrubs. Florida peninsula inland scrubconsists of sand pines (Pinus clausa) growing amid shrublands of evergreen oaks. Florida dry prairies are flat, nearly treeless plains with dense cover of grasses and saw palmetto (Serenoa repens).[1]

Wetlands in the park include marshes and cypress domes. Floridian highlands freshwater marshes are prairies composed of different herbaceous plant communities that vary based on water depth. Southern coastal plain nonriverine cypress domes are small wetlands of pond cypress (Taxodium ascendens) notable for their dome-shaped appearance.[1]

A karst sinkhole named Deep Hole is located on the northwest bank of the Myakka River in the Wilderness Preserve. The sink is 41 meters deep though no evidence of a spring was found by a 2011-2012 research team.[2]

Rivers in the park support hammocks and floodplain forests. Near the floodplains of spring-fed rivers grow southern coastal plain hydric hammocks, dense forests of evergreen and deciduous hardwood trees. Blackwater rivers support southern coastal plain blackwater river floodplain forests of baldcypress (Taxodium distichum) along their banks.[1] (see link above)
1a_MyakkaRiverSPark.png
1b_Myakka_Bridge2.png
1c_Myakka_Bridge1.png
1d_Myakka_Bridge3.png
1e_Myakka_ParkSign.png
1f_Myakka_SatelliteMap1.png
1g_Myakka_DiagramMap.png
1h_Myakka_AirBoatWeb.png
1i_Myakka_BoatTour2.JPG
1j_Myakka_TramRide.png
1k_Myakka_AlligatorBoatDock.JPG
1l_Myakka_LgAlligator.png
1m_Myakka_AlligatorsLOTS.png
1n_Myakka_AlligatorEating.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you're having a wonderful time. That last picture looks like the fish is leaping straight into the alligator's mouth.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It looks like you're having a wonderful time. That last picture looks like the fish is leaping straight into the alligator's mouth.

Well, I'm assuming that was a meal for the gator! ;) The pic is from the web - I probably would have needed to sit in a canoe for hours if not days to come close to a pic like that! But according to our air-boat guide, turtles are the main diet of alligators at the park (believe he stated 80% of what they eat - now not sure if they 'spit out' the shells or swallow all, suspect the latter - they do have to keep warm by the sun for their digestive enzymes to be actively). Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Myakka River State Park - Part 2

The park has numerous other activities beyond the ones mentioned previously - plenty of trails (like the one below w/ overhanging Spanish moss, especially from live oaks), kayaking & canoeing, bicycling, horse riding, camping, overnight cabins, etc. - below just another description of the park (Source). Birding is a MUST here - we saw some bald eagles and many water birds (pics below mostly my own w/ labels) - the vultures are the 'garbage collectors' locally - ;)

On our way out, we did a trail hike to the Canopy Walkway and Tower - the vegetation in the trees is clearly visible; the tower provides a panoramic view of the treetops (Susan decided not to climb and is seen on her phone sitting on a bench) - there were a number of fires in the distance, which were intentional 'ecological burns' set by the rangers to control and promote floral growth in the park. Again, an extremely enjoyable day and highly recommended if visiting the area - BTW, we did use insect repellent and were not bitten by any insects. Dave :)

One of the oldest and largest state parks, Myakka protects one of the state's most diverse natural areas. The Myakka River, designated as a Florida Wild and Scenic River, flows through 58 square miles of wetlands, prairies, hammocks, and pinelands. Visitors can enjoy wildlife viewing from a boardwalk that stretches out over the Upper Myakka Lake, then take to the treetops with a stroll along the canopy walkway. The park´s river and two lakes provide ample opportunities for boating, freshwater fishing, canoeing, and kayaking; a boat ramp provides access to Upper Myakka Lake. Hikers can explore trails that cross large expanses of rare Florida dry prairie. Scenic lake tours are offered daily on the world´s two largest airboats. Safari tram tours of the park´s backcountry are offered from mid-December through May. Full-facility campgrounds and primitive campsites are available. Five palm log cabins, built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps, have been modernized for comfortable lodging. Located nine miles east of Sarasota on State Road 72 (link above).

Other than the Bird Trail, a boardwalk out into the Myakka River, the Myakka Canopy Walk is the most popular short trail in Myakka River State Park in Sarasota, one of Southwest Florida’s largest state parks. It could be because it’s very easy to find, is family-friendly, and has a well-defined footpath, nice and broad. It could be because of the Canopy Walk itself. Before everyone in Florida went nuts adding ziplines and canopy walks to their nature attractions, this was THE real deal, the first canopy walk in Florida. It was modeled after ones used by scientists in the rainforests of South America and provides both an intimate look at the live oak canopy and a sweeping panorama of the Myakka River basin from its 76 foot observation platform (link above).
2a_Myakka_Trail.png
2b_Myakka_BaldEagle.png
2c_Myakka_Fawn.png
2d_Myakka_Egret.JPG
2e_Myakka_Limpkin.JPG
2f_Myakka_Vultures.JPG
2g_Myakka_BlHeronMyRP.JPG
2h_Myakka_Spoonbills.JPG
2i_Myakka_RoseateSpoonbills.png
2j_Myakka_CanopyWalkwayWeb.png
2k_Myakka_CanopyWalk1.JPG
2l_Myakka_CanopyWalk2.JPG
2m_Myakka_CanopyWalkWeb.png
2n_Myakka_TowerGroundUp.JPG
2o_Myakka_CanopyWalkTower1.JPG
2p_Myakka_SusanTower.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, Scifan..'s asking about the 'fishing gator' piqued my curiosity since I had 'borrowed' that pic from the web - SO, found the link which brought me to the YouTube video below - IT'S REAL! Just a matter of luck for the gator but an easy catch - love it! Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Myakka River State Park - Part 2

The park has numerous other activities beyond the ones mentioned previously - plenty of trails (like the one below w/ overhanging Spanish moss, especially from live oaks), kayaking & canoeing, bicycling, horse riding, camping, overnight cabins, etc. - below just another description of the park (Source). Birding is a MUST here - we saw some bald eagles and many water birds (pics below mostly my own w/ labels) - the vultures are the 'garbage collectors' locally - ;)

On our way out, we did a trail hike to the Canopy Walkway and Tower - the vegetation in the trees is clearly visible; the tower provides a panoramic view of the treetops (Susan decided not to climb and is seen on her phone sitting on a bench) - there were a number of fires in the distance, which were intentional 'ecological burns' set by the rangers to control and promote floral growth in the park. Again, an extremely enjoyable day and highly recommended if visiting the area - BTW, we did use insect repellent and were not bitten by any insects. Dave :)

View attachment 70761 View attachment 70762 View attachment 70763 View attachment 70764 View attachment 70765 View attachment 70766 View attachment 70767 View attachment 70768 View attachment 70769 View attachment 70770 View attachment 70771 View attachment 70772 View attachment 70773 View attachment 70774 View attachment 70775 View attachment 70776
Susan didn't climb up to that wonderfull aerial walkway?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Susan didn't climb up to that wonderfull aerial walkway?

Susan did the walkway but did not climb the tower, although decades ago we did walk the stairs of the Washington Monument - but both turning 70 y/o this year - WOW! Tomorrow, I'll post on our second day trip to Sarasota - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Susan did the walkway but did not climb the tower, although decades ago we did walk the stairs of the Washington Monument - but both turning 70 y/o this year - WOW! Tomorrow, I'll post on our second day trip to Sarasota - Dave :)
I've never been to Washington D.C. But I have climbed to the top of the Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown, Massachusetts.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never been to Washington D.C. But I have climbed to the top of the Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown, Massachusetts.

Yep, I've been up the Bunker Hill Monument several times - but for those who may not know, the actual fighting was done on Breed's Hill (see quote below w/ link) - regardless, a thrilling climb and historic reminder of an early American effort despite their retreat - as to the Washington Monument shown below - had to check - the obelisk is just over 555 ft tall w/ nearly 900 steps - as I recall when done back in the early 1970s when I was at the AFIP for a 3 month radiology course (and much younger), the climb was still an effort! Dave :)

The Monument is not on Bunker Hill, but instead on Breed's Hill, where most of the fighting in the misnamed Battle of Bunker Hill actually took place. The Monument Association, which had purchased the battlefield site, was forced to sell off all but the hill's summit in order to complete the monument (Source).
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 9.19.02 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Just a P.S. - if you have the opportunity, try to visit D.C. - a beautiful town w/ the Washington Monument the tallest structure - just SO MUCH to see w/ numerous wonderful museums and excellent foods from all over the world - the Metro is a great way to get around the city - if you want to splurge, then stay at the historic Willard Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue not far from the White House - that's where US Grant signed the registry before his meeting w/ Lincoln to take over the Union Army - on our last stay, we saw Richard Dreyfus (the actor) in the breakfast room - for myself, the 3 best USA cities for museums w/ variety are in D.C., NYC, & Chicago - hope that you have the chance to visit. :) Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a P.S. - if you have the opportunity, try to visit D.C. - a beautiful town w/ the Washington Monument the tallest structure - just SO MUCH to see w/ numerous wonderful museums and excellent foods from all over the world - the Metro is a great way to get around the city - if you want to splurge, then stay at the historic Willard Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue not far from the White House - that's where US Grant signed the registry before his meeting w/ Lincoln to take over the Union Army - on our last stay, we saw Richard Dreyfus (the actor) in the breakfast room - for myself, the 3 best USA cities for museums w/ variety are in D.C., NYC, & Chicago - hope that you have the chance to visit. :) Dave
So do I. I have been to Chicago twice and have seen many of the museums and monuments. The best are the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Technology.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So do I. I have been to Chicago twice and have seen many of the museums and monuments. The best are the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Technology.

OK - you're a not a Chicago stranger (my father was born there in 1926) - did you get to the Museum of Art - a fav of mine is shown below that is a highlight - the Broadway show Sunday in the Park w/ George is kind of based on that painting - :) Dave
8227_1683054.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts