What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CNET: Real world iPad annoyances -what do you think?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I love this s.o.b but it has some issue as does everyone else. I think this is going to be one of the best things apple has created. Except the apple tv. Llololol. No but seriously this thing is awesome

Of course, nothing is perfect, but the iPad so far has been damn near it!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use the iphone as alarm clock along to wake me up each morning ..some of the things like keepong track of the calander items is a real pain in the butt ..that why i have the phone unit it can do all that

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I love this s.o.b but it has some issue as does everyone else. I think this is going to be one of the best things apple has created. Except the apple tv. Llololol. No but seriously this thing is awesome

Agree. But i wish it was running its own OS instead of using the iPhones. Multitasking is going to be great on this badboy

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Agree. But i wish it was running its own OS instead of using the iPhones. Multitasking is going to be great on this badboy

It actually is. The iPad has completely different built in apps that are using a lot of the new iPhone 4 features that noone else has yet. While it will never actually look different from the iPhone it is not actually the iPhone OS...it has a lot more functionality..but Apples idea was to have a 0 learning curve. If you'ld used an iPhone or iPod Touch you are already an expert.

No matter what dramatic changes occur don't expect the look to stray from the iPhone ever.

Also, the iPhone OS Style works extremely well. Why fix what aint broke.

Techdad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you imagine what the 3rd or 4th gen. of the ipad might look like? we can take a cue from the first Nano, I only wish I could hold it better while playing a game, how about some portable Love Handles.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you imagine what the 3rd or 4th gen. of the ipad might look like? we can take a cue from the first Nano, I only wish I could hold it better while playing a game, how about some portable Love Handles.

I still say the iPhone/iPod Touch will make a great game controller ;)

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my iPad. It's a fantastic machine. Nothing in the world much less electric devices are perfect.
There isn't anything else out there that comes close

The iPad will only get better over time. I don't think i will have to upgrade the hardware for sometime. When we get to install os 4.0 this fall - forget about it!

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It actually is. The iPad has completely different built in apps that are using a lot of the new iPhone 4 features that noone else has yet. While it will never actually look different from the iPhone it is not actually the iPhone OS...it has a lot more functionality..but Apples idea was to have a 0 learning curve. If you'd used an iPhone or iPod Touch you are already an expert.

No matter what dramatic changes occur don't expect the look to stray from the iPhone ever.

I got a phone call today from an old workmate who switched to Android on Sprint. He was absolutely miserable after having an Android for five months. He is looking forward to the end of his 1 year contract and then he is bailing. He said the iPhone was far easier to work with with its more advanced and refined interface.

I was very careful not to rub it in by saying 'I told you so'.

I was also able to convince him he needs to go to the Apple Store and look at the iPad. He has a Mac which he loves.

Last edited:
OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have plenty of silk clothes...while surprised it didn't come with one its not a big deal...I have a giant one from oakley that is almost the size of the screen I've been using.

I don't read newspapers...

Kickstand? Get a case you cheap bastard! It is a kickstand and a stand.

Really? Calculator and Clock? Go to the app store..there are plenty of free versions in there.

I really like the calendar and I love that it syncs with Google calendar, that way I can make new events on my phone or desktop and they appear on my iPad iCal.

User Accounts??? iPad is mine....you want a user account....GET YOUR OWN!

Arrow Keys on the Keyboard? Its a touch device! What would be the point? The magnifying glass trick works exceptionally well on the big screen. Nit picking there!

I agree with the Google docs complaint. You should be able to work off Googl's cloud in Numbers....This Apple/Google feud needs to end...the only one it's hurting is the consumer!

So far the only complaints I've had have been some 3rd party apps having issues...but the stock bundled device has been a dream.

Jumbo Calculator 1.0

Category: Productivity
Price: $.99 -> Free, Version: 1.0 (iTunes)

121377.jpg
Description:

FREE for a limited time!

Jumbo Calculator is great for anyone wanting the ease of use of a large buttoned calculator. While sadly you can't feel the exquisite texture of its large plastic buttons (and the included solar panel doesn't actually charge) Jumbo Calculator succeeds at its main purpose: adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, squaring and square-rooting.

One size fits all. Priced at dollar store prices, anyone can afford Jumbo Calculator!

An update was submitted April 13th, and will contain the following features/options:
- Full calculator persistence (Jumbo Calculator will remember exactly where you left off when exiting and returning to the app; with an option to turn it off)
- Key click sounds (can be turned off in settings)
- Bluetooth keyboard and iPad Keyboard Dock support

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who are griping about the iPad not having a camera (Why anyone would want one is beyond my comprehension) the latest info says that Apple is looking for an engineer with camera systems experience for working on the iPad.

Dallasfoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have begun to feel more and more at ease using the pad like a laptop. The typing is still slow but over time will get better. I just wish I had google docs on here.

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It actually is. The iPad has completely different built in apps that are using a lot of the new iPhone 4 features that noone else has yet. While it will never actually look different from the iPhone it is not actually the iPhone OS...it has a lot more functionality..but Apples idea was to have a 0 learning curve. If you'd used an iPhone or iPod Touch you are already an expert.

I got a phone call today from an old workmate who switched to Android on Sprint. He was absolutely miserable after having an Android for five months. He is looking forward to the end of his 1 year contract and then he is bailing. He said the iPhone was far easier to work with with its more advanced and refined interface.

I was very careful not to rub it in by saying 'I told you so'.

I was also able to convince him he needs to go to the Apple Store and look at the iPad. He has a Mac which he loves.

Thats too bad for your friend. I on the other hand love my Android which also allows me to wirelessly tether the ipad giving me 3g without having to buy the 3g version and also without paying additional for 3g access.

But I was going to say one of the things I'd like to see is easier switching from one email account to another. Currently it just takes too many clicks (touches). Not a big deal but it could be better. BTW I love my iPad

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spot on comment "Any big "shortcomings" of the iPad are handled by one of the other devices I have"
Same here....Regarding calendar and PIM I use informant on my iphone ( soon to be available on ipad) Its great I agree thousands of free Apps some good some not so good I own an iphone and Mac book Ipad is coming late May I agree with the above statement but frankly I will be doing less and less with the Macbook as the ipad will do 95% of what I need

col down under

epoche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash Downer

I thought I'd be able to replace my 15" 5.5 pound MBP in my Great room with the iPad. However, I spend several hours, in the morning, reading the NYT and other digital news, and am frustrated at not being able to view embedded videos supported by Flash.

So I guess the iPad will go on a shelf in the computer room unless I want to read a book, play games, etc. I wasn't That troubled by lack of multitasking, as the A4 processor is very fast in bringing up pages. I do miss the ability to copy web pictures into iPhoto, and to more easily cut and paste. i wasn't under the impression that the iPad was a full fledge computer, but was naive in terms of how much web video is Flash supported. With my MBP I just opened "whatever" and Never gave a thought that Flash was behind the scenes.

Jobs says Flash chews up battery charge due to excessive processor requirements and that HDML5 will solve the problems, but I'm not willing to forgo the Flash supported video in my news experience.

Last edited:

Most reactions