What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CloudFTP

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Gab....if someone owns an Airstash and a Pogoplug, does it make some sense to own this too? Functionality wise, I mean. Thanks for all of the work.

GoodReader is one of the best apps in the world. :)

That is a good question and one that I can't quite answer yet. It will depend a lot on individual circumstance and the specs of those two products in relation to the CloudFTP. A few points which I think are valid plus points......

- you can connect any USB mass storage device and more than one at a time.
- you can have a local network anywhere and include iOS, Android, OSX and Windows devices all connecting at the same time sharing the same files.
- the good battery life makes it an ideal device to be used in the field (great for photographers and those who travel in the course of their work)
- some of the things I haven't explored yet; ability to connect to your own local network, I.e. your home network, ability to backup to online cloud solutions, good interface with GoodReader (once I figure out the upload!), apps in the pipeline for iOS and Android.

So, aside from photography or business travellers, I can think it would be great for families who travel a lot, they can all connect and watch/listen to their own media at the same time on different devices. If you change from iOS to Android or the other way around you won't be left with a useless device. I'm sure I can think of many more scenarios as I play with this thing more and more.

BTW, I believe the inability to upload files in addition to download may partly be due to a need to upgrade the firmware, so once updated later today I will report back but even so, it integrates so well with GoodReader that it's a mighty fine piece of kit as it is. There are also a number of other apps that it works with so once I have sorted out GoodReader I will try those out too.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't realize you could not save write files to the storage attached to the CloudFTP. Did I understand you correctly on this? This is one thing you can do easily with the Airstash. Right now, I'm moving all photos off my iPad to a folder I created on the SD card that is in my Air Stash. You can also move videos this way too, though I have not done that yet. With the Airstash, you can only attach an SD card or a MicroSD in an adaptor.

The Pogplug has no battery so it can't be used in any portable fashion, though it is small and easy to relocate. It needs wall power. You can connect up a bunch of stuff to its ports...it has two usb 3.0 ports, a usb 2.0 port, an SD card slot, and a SATA port so you can connect a laptop drive to it. It also has an ethernet port, so it hangs on your network. I don't think CloudFTP has an ethernet port, right? The pogoplug series 4 has client software that allows your PC, MAC, phone, tablets, whatever, to access its storage through the internet. And it works. In fact, the copy what sells this thing is now offering to sell this software so you can turn any PC into cloud storage. $15/year is what they charge. The one problem I have with this is it is all tied through them...for example, I can go to a website on a PC to see what is on my series 4. Or I can use the apps. On my various PC, the pogoplug looks just like a drive or folder, like dropbox.

The CloudFTP seems like a curious blend of an Air Stash and a Pogoplug or personal cloud.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I didn't realize you could not save write files to the storage attached to the CloudFTP. Did I understand you correctly on this? This is one thing you can do easily with the Airstash. Right now, I'm moving all photos off my iPad to a folder I created on the SD card that is in my Air Stash. You can also move videos this way too, though I have not done that yet. With the Airstash, you can only attach an SD card or a MicroSD in an adaptor.

The Pogplug has no battery so it can't be used in any portable fashion, though it is small and easy to relocate. It needs wall power. You can connect up a bunch of stuff to its ports...it has two usb 3.0 ports, a usb 2.0 port, an SD card slot, and a SATA port so you can connect a laptop drive to it. It also has an ethernet port, so it hangs on your network. I don't think CloudFTP has an ethernet port, right? The pogoplug series 4 has client software that allows your PC, MAC, phone, tablets, whatever, to access its storage through the internet. And it works. In fact, the copy what sells this thing is now offering to sell this software so you can turn any PC into cloud storage. $15/year is what they charge. The one problem I have with this is it is all tied through them...for example, I can go to a website on a PC to see what is on my series 4. Or I can use the apps. On my various PC, the pogoplug looks just like a drive or folder, like dropbox.

The CloudFTP seems like a curious blend of an Air Stash and a Pogoplug or personal cloud.

I may have confused the issue with my ramblings!

So, the answer to your first question is no, you can upload and download files with the CloudFTP however, I just haven't figured out the correct FTP settings yet for the upload element (rather than mess around with stuff I don't understand I'll probably just ask the HyperDrive guys to tell me how it should be set up). It has to be said that apart from the FTP issue it has been simple to set up and use but the instructions both in the box and online are.....well, almost non-existent. There is information available from the guys at HyperDrive but as it seems spread across a multitude of web sites and forums it is less than ideal and answers to questions, although plentiful and timely are at best, brief. Obviously I know what I'm getting into but someone with no knowledge might find things mighty awkward. Hopefully if I can get the guide completed here that will help. Once the official app hits the App Store this may also improve things.

You are correct that the CloudFTP doesn't have an Ethernet port, in fact, aside from the power socket it only has one USB port. Is this a problem, well not really IMHO. It isn't designed as a modem although it can be connected to a wireless network (more on this as I build the guide) as well as setting up its own wireless network. Given the portability of this device it is clearly meant for moving around, maybe a future incarnation might give it 3G/4G built in but I don't think it is missing any tricks without Ethernet. As for the one USB port, well again, I don't think it is missing any tricks here either, most users will only need to have one drive at a time installed but the fact that a hub can be used means that there are no real shortcomings. I'm sure that a very few would find this a problem but then you could say that about any product.

At the moment I can't offer a full review of the CloudFTP as I am trying to work my way through every element of it in a methodical manner and I can only do this in my spare time so as I try each part I will report back and update.

I think that the HyperDrive guys probably should have prepared the apps before this went on sale but of course, I have no idea what issues they may have had with that.

All in all, this is a great little device. Improvements can be made but I don't think many are required. Combined with my personal cloud I have just about every base covered here at a one off cost (WD My Book Live + CloudFTP) of around £190. Bearing in mind that for most folks one or the other device would be sufficient for their needs there is clearly a cost effective solution here and as apps and firmware are updated with both devices it can only get better.

I think for comparison purposes, the WD My Book Live is probably the correct device to compare to the pogo plug and the CloudFTP to the Airstash but I don't intend to offer any comparisons here as I haven't used those two devices and it would be wrong of me to compare anything but cold hard specs (and we all know that they only tell half of the story).

The Archangel

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Loking and trying stuff

I am following this thread with great interest. I hope that this post does not come off a a hijack of your thread. I'm still looking for answers. I know that I want one but I'm not sure if it will help my situation.

I almost clicked on the buy button for a "CloudFTP" this morning. I didn't because I still have some questions and my system works well.

My current setup, setup in the house as a test:
--"Neewer Wireless mini router" ($20) connected direct to my DSL Modem.
--Netbook wireless connect to router, USB hard drive on netbook.
--iPAD wireless connect to router.

I can see all of the files on the drive. Play Mp4 movies, read PDFs, etc. Using File Browser App. When connected to my regular router the drive looks like a regular network drive.

So, since this is all working and I always must travel with my netbook, I'm not sure I need a CloudFTP.

However I'm intrigued---
-- It would be nifty to just play movies easily.
-- When it is connected, does the USB drive look like just another shared drive?
-- When connected to my home LAN using CloudFTP what does the drive look like?? Like a NAS drive?? Shared drive??

I know that yo9u are just starting your trials and I may be a while before you can answer.

Also, have you looked at the forum on their ( the Manufacturer's) WEB site?? There was talk about some smoke and over heating problems. I’m assuming they have fixed that.

Thanks and keep up the good work. I'll be reading as we go.

bob

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
superfish said:
I am following this thread with great interest. I hope that this post does not come off a a hijack of your thread. I'm still looking for answers. I know that I want one but I'm not sure if it will help my situation.

I almost clicked on the buy button for a "CloudFTP" this morning. I didn't because I still have some questions and my system works well.

My current setup, setup in the house as a test:
--"Neewer Wireless mini router" ($20) connected direct to my DSL Modem.
--Netbook wireless connect to router, USB hard drive on netbook.
--iPAD wireless connect to router.

I can see all of the files on the drive. Play Mp4 movies, read PDFs, etc. Using File Browser App. When connected to my regular router the drive looks like a regular network drive.

So, since this is all working and I always must travel with my netbook, I'm not sure I need a CloudFTP.

However I'm intrigued---
-- It would be nifty to just play movies easily.
-- When it is connected, does the USB drive look like just another shared drive?
-- When connected to my home LAN using CloudFTP what does the drive look like?? Like a NAS drive?? Shared drive??

I know that yo9u are just starting your trials and I may be a while before you can answer.

Also, have you looked at the forum on their ( the Manufacturer's) WEB site?? There was talk about some smoke and over heating problems. I’m assuming they have fixed that.

Thanks and keep up the good work. I'll be reading as we go.

bob

Hi Bob,

The web interface is in a screen shot in my first post, in the GoodReader App it looks like this.......

image-889610182.jpg

There are other apps available which it works with and once I've worked everything out I will try those and post screen shots. Hyperdrive are also in the process of producing apps specifically for the device.

I haven't yet connected to my local network but I will be doing this and I'll present all the info here.

I too read about the smoking issue but I understand those were early units where the USB port was pressing on the wifi circuitry (I think). So far this one has barely got warm.

Hopefully I'll be updating the guide again quite shortly.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have finally discovered that the issue with the upload from GoodReader to the CloudFTP was a bad file name so I should be able to carry on with the guide later......

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news, Daniel Chin of HyperDrive has been in touch to provide some info which hopefully will allow me to complete the guide here.

He has also recommended to following apps for file management when using the CloudFTP:

iFiles (great for file management)
FTP Client Pro (great for photos)
GoodReader (great for documents)
OPlayer (great for movies)

I will update the guide over the next few days.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now updated the first post to show how easy it is to upload files from the iPad onto an external HD using the CloudFTP.

More updates to come.

The Archangel

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your updates. I have decided that life is not possible without a CloudFTP so mine is on the FEDEX plane.
The kicker was that I read and saw a number of places on YouTube that the device will also act as a NAS. This is very desirable because I keep all of my data (with backups of course) on one USB drive. If I have the drive I have everything.

I'll now see if I can hold my breath until Monday.

bob

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good for you Bob, I really like mine, I don't get the most out of it yet but I will once I've set everything else here up. I am really pleased with it so far, especially the ability to upload from the iPad to a USB drive as well as download, in this case as easily too. You may recall my earlier post where I was struggling with the uploading, well it turned out to be complete user error, I won't describe it here to save my own embarrassment!

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First post now updated with details of how to connect GoodReader to your CloudFTP.......enjoy!

The Archangel

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, my Cloud arrived today. So far I'm happy, but there is work to do.

Works fine on the ad hoc net. I then connected it to my regular LAN. I can see the attached drive from the iPad and I can see the drives on the PCs from the iPad.

I haven't spent much time with it yet but the issues to date:
1-- I can't see the attached drive from the computers. The cloud doesn't show up.
2-- I haven't found out how to unhook it from the house LAN. Haven't tried hard yet.

Have you found any instructions to make it look like a NAS?? Hypershop is a little light on their instructions.

Well fun times ahead. I want to be ready for my motorcycle trip at the end of the month.

bp

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
superfish said:
Well, my Cloud arrived today. So far I'm happy, but there is work to do.

Works fine on the ad hoc net. I then connected it to my regular LAN. I can see the attached drive from the iPad and I can see the drives on the PCs from the iPad.

I haven't spent much time with it yet but the issues to date:
1-- I can't see the attached drive from the computers. The cloud doesn't show up.
2-- I haven't found out how to unhook it from the house LAN. Haven't tried hard yet.

Have you found any instructions to make it look like a NAS?? Hypershop is a little light on their instructions.

Well fun times ahead. I want to be ready for my motorcycle trip at the end of the month.

bp

Here goes.....

1. If it is still set up as stock, have you opened your computers browser and pointed it at http://192.168.0.1 this should get your computer seeing the drive.
2. I haven't connected mine to the LAN yet but have you tried pressing the power button once then check what it says on the screen?

My plan is (and they always change) play around with NAS settings and update the guide within the next few days.

The Archangel

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, found out how to go back to ad-hoc network.

* turn off
* turn on
* while "scanning" tap power key one time
* you're now in ad-hoc

I'm still working on the NAS thing.

bp

Most reactions

Latest posts