What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Internet Providers

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am changing from Brighthouse Networks high speed internet to FIOS high speed Internet for my home iMac.

When the technician wires my Apple Extreme wireless router to the new FIOS modem, should I expect my iPad to work the same in the house as before the change? Any adjustments I should be aware of besides the changing of email address in mail settings?

I must admit I am a bit nervous about the change.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes!! I just switched to FIOS a couple of weeks ago!! If you use their router the id will be a number instead of your name or a chosen id with a very long alpha numeric password which is why I don't want to refresh my network settings on this thing unless I have to. I also tether my iPhone to my iPad or vise versa for 3G data via Bluetooth.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I can still use my Apple Airport Extreme router with FIOS?

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hpowders said:
So I can still use my Apple Airport extreme router with FIOS?

Probably, but ask Verizon and Apple and please let me know. I have a Cisco 4200 sitting in the chair in my office where FIOS is hooked up!!

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. I spent plenty for the Airport Extreme. Hope I can still use it. The technician isn't getting out of my house until my iPad works just fine.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hpowders said:
Okay. I spent plenty for the Airport Extreme. Hope I can still use it. The technician isn't getting out of my house until my iPad works just fine.

Oh absolutely. I am using mine now just not with my personal router, using Verizon's.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh absolutely. I am using mine now just not with my personal router, using Verizon's.

That's good to know. I will find out first hand in about 5 hours.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hpowders said:
That's good to know. I will find out first hand in about 5 hours.

Please report back on your findings!! ;)

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please report back on your findings!! ;)

I will. The technician arrived about an hour ago and he said the Apple router should be no problem with the FIOS system, but he's not leaving until I'm satisfied my iPad is working okay. Should be done in about 3 more hours.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: The tech asked me what the heck "upgrade "Airport Extreme" meant on the computer screen. I explained to him it was my wifi router. So I pressed "upgrade" and the router adjusted in an instant. My ipad is running perfectly with the FIOS system.

If my Airport Extreme could talk, it might just say:

"Verizon FIOS: This looks like it could be the start of a beautiful relationship." :)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hpowders said:
Update: The tech asked me what the heck "upgrade "Airport Extreme" meant on the computer screen. I explained to him it was my wifi router. So I pressed "upgrade" and the router adjusted in an instant. My ipad is running perfectly with the FIOS system.

If my Airport Extreme could talk, it might just say:

"Verizon FIOS: This looks like it could be the start of a beautiful relationship." :)

Cool so you are only using your airport router and NOT the Verizon router?? I am currently using Verizon's and NOT my linksys router.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Cool so you are only using your airport router and NOT the Verizon router?? I am currently using Verizon's and NOT my linksys router.

Yes. I paid a lot for the Airport Extreme. Wasn't going to give it up unless I had to. Also the Apple router probably has a wider range than the Verizon router they would have provided me.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hpowders said:
Yes. I paid a lot for the Airport Extreme. Wasn't going to give it up unless I had to. Also the Apple router probably has a wider range than the Verizon router they would have provided me.

Hmmmm. I am gonna try mine. I just bought my linksys in September. Thanks so much for feedback on FIOS!!! Greatly appreciated. Keep it going !!

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When changing routers from what was first installed by your provider, you might want to give your provider a call. When the router that my provider provided died, I called them for a new one and they told me I would be better off getting my own, but I would have to call them, as they have to make adjustments on their end depending upon which router I bought.

OP
H

hpowders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker- You are welcome!

It was very easy. After plugging the Airport Extreme into the FIOS wireless router with the ethernet cable, a screen came up from Airport utility to update the changes. I clicked update and within a couple of seconds, all was well. My iPad is working just fine. As an aside, the FIOS TV picture is much sharper than that provided by my cable company. I had some anxiety going into the change, but it worked out fine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts