What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with wifi connection

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so now I'm frustrated! I've got my ipad 4 connected to my wifi and it seems slow on Internet and App Store etc! It recently had a speed test of 21Mbps download but now it won't get over like 1.2Mbps! 14Mbps up and ping of 57... Same problem with my iPhone 4S but my desktop PC also wireless card is testing 19Mbps down and up. Reset network settings and was good for one speed test then speed slowed considerably! Any ideas? I have Verizon fios with their wireless modem. Thanks for any help.
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You've already done what would be my first suggestion. Next thing is to reboot the router.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You've already done what would be my first suggestion. Next thing is to reboot the router.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thanks but rebooted and same problem...hmmm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a guess.....

When you rebooted your router did you turn off all other devices first?
Not sure why but when I've had bandwidth issues with my WiFi security cameras in the past the fix was to shutdown all network WiFi <and hardwired> devices, reboot router, then restart all devices.

Last edited:
OP
D

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An update: well now I'm confused bc iPad and iPhone this morning have 30Mbps! That's great but wonder why at night only my apple devices have problem with download speed? I'm gonna monitor speeds throughout the day...thanks!

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sounds like band width suck from others to me. is your router protected so someone else can not get onto your network? another possibility if you set up a 'guest' parallel network and its not protected some one may be using it and sucking down your over all network band width.

krlyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rlarson_mn said:
sounds like band width suck from others to me. is your router protected so someone else can not get onto your network? another possibility if you set up a 'guest' parallel network and its not protected some one may be using it and sucking down your over all network band width.

I've been checking with speed test.net and the downloads on my mini are like 2 Mb. All my other devices are at 15. What gives?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
krlyman said:
I've been checking with speed test.net and the downloads on my mini are like 2 Mb. All my other devices are at 15. What gives?

Did you update to iOS 6.0.2? This update was supposed to fix WiFi issues on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5.

krlyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you update to iOS 6.0.2? This update was supposed to fix WiFi issues on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5.

Yep, it's 6.0.2 all right.

The funny thing is that for about the first 2-3 seconds, it runs right up there at 13-14 Mb then it drops to 2-3 and stays there for the rest of the test. It can do it but something stops it.

I don't seem to have that problem with the iPad 1 I use. It seems to work just as well as the newer ones albeit it weighs a lot.

Last edited:
OP
D

dbnjzb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly what happens but I have the iPad 4! No update for that! Interesting, thanks.

Depp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my Ipad 4 last week and had the same problem with the wifi connecting to my TP Link router.It connected but then slowed to a crawl a few minutes later.

I had an old travel router so tried connecting the ipad to that and it worked fine.I couldn't continue to use it because it had limited range being a travel router so I updated the TP Link router to the latest firmware and now the wifi is running perfectly.

It would seem the Ipad 4 has trouble with some routers unless you update it to the latest firmware.If that doesn't work then you may have to get a new router that works with the ipad.

Most reactions