What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cellar data reminder

wmedsel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Air 2 with 8.1 iOS. Constantly get reminders to set up cellar plan. In previous versions of iOS, there was a button to cut off cellar, but this is gone now! How do you get rid of the annoying reminder to set up cellar data plan? Is there one you can set up without cost and just never use it? Help!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can turn off Cellular Data in Settings - Cellular Data. Open it and disable the feature.

OP
wmedsel

wmedsel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless I am missing something or just plain stupid, i don't see anywhere in iOS 8.1 where one can cut off the Cellar Data...and it just reminds me all the time to sign up for a plan, etc. oh, it on the annoying give me the option to cancel sign up now or later. I always choose "later" so it always come back later...when I am in a non-WiFi area. I had the iPad Air 1 and there was a place to disable cellar data...but that radio button is gone from the latest version of Pad Air 2. It seems as if Apples is trying to force me to use cellular data! finally, I bought the cellar unit because it has a built in GPS and some apps require it and the maps will work without the cellar data or Wifi. Example...in a WiFi environment, download the map directions and press Start, then even out of WIFI OR CELLAR, it will give step by step directions...the only drawback is that it will not recalculate without Wifi or Call...but it does show where you are on the maps so you just have to navigate back to the chosen route. For info, here are screen shots of the iOS 8.1 with the newest version of the iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was looking at my iPad Air (1) with SIM card. There's the option to turn of cellular data.

I can't see the screenshots that you said you include.

My iPad 2, where I don't use a SIM card (but with cellular as well), shows Cellular Data greyed out, and NO SIM next to it. From time to time, it tells me that there's no SIM card installed.

Here's a thread where this was discussed: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/unable-to-download-item.124007/

OP
wmedsel

wmedsel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are the screen shots to,show my issue...thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try popping the SIM out of the iPad. Of course, it might just start warning you that there is no SIM instead.

OP
wmedsel

wmedsel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surely other people are having the same annoying problem? Where are the complaints and solutions on this nagging issue! Speak up people...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Working my way through Setting, I find there are switches to turn on Cellular Data use for iTunes & App Store, FaceTime, iBooks, and Podcasts.

There might be a couple other places I've missed.

Check those and make sure they are all off.

That's all I can think of.

A reset afterwards probably wouldn't hurt. Or even before if you haven't tried it yet.

Reset: Hold down the Home and Power buttons until the Apple Logo appears. This deletes nothing. It's just a restart with a little extra kick in the pants.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm. Check your app settings too. I just discovered a couple there as well. My Weather app and 1Password, for example.

Ideally these should all be off by default, or missing entirely if Cellular isn't available; but iOS 8 being new and some apps not being updated they might not be.

An app that's requesting cellular data 'could' cause the system to prompt you to turn it on.

And that really is all I can think of. At least for now.

OP
wmedsel

wmedsel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried these and will see if this helps...I had only on button on, don't remember which one but I cut it off...so, we will see...also hard rebooted, too. Again, thank you for your response. There should have been a turn off button like the last version! Cheers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I'm sure there is an off toggle, once you have an activated SIM. I guess Apple didn't test for your use case; which is a bit rare.

If you have not done so, it wouldn't hurt to send a bit of feedback. In case it's so rare they haven't heard of it yet. Even if they have heard of the issue, one more nudge might get it into the next bug fix update.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad Air 2 with 8.1 iOS. Constantly get reminders to set up cellar plan. In previous versions of iOS, there was a button to cut off cellar, but this is gone now! How do you get rid of the annoying reminder to set up cellar data plan? Is there one you can set up without cost and just never use it? Help!
G'day wmedsel. Seems like the proposed solutions by the above knowledgable members here are well on the way to solving your problem about that pesky pop-up reminder.
Just letting you know that your duplication of your question... In this thread. http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/a...at-t-t-mobile-and-sprint.124565/#post-1083862
,,,,has been removed so as not to fragment any discussion of your topic and to comply with the rules which prohibit such doubling up in different threads.
Regards, Andrew

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi wmedsel, did the suggestions here solve your problem?
The reason I ask is that I have an iPad 2 and want to upgrade to an Air 2 (wifi & cellular) for exactly the same reasons as you (AGPS etc).
Did removing the sim card make a difference to the message you were seeing?

Steve

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Surely other people are having the same annoying problem? Where are the complaints and solutions on this nagging issue! Speak up people...

I thought it was a great reminder for me since buying LTE iPad Air 2. The popups were a reminder for me to get my iPad on my cell plan. That I did and no reminders anymore. Of course Verizon was not one of the options in the menu listed, so I headed over to Bestbuy to get that sorted. All good now. :)

OP
wmedsel

wmedsel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note to Steve...
I finally succumbed to the highly intrusive and unnecessary notices (really I had no choice because the pop-up notices were relentless!) and signed up for the T-Mobile plan...the one where there is no cost for just a few Meg's...and THEN and only THEN do the settings pup up with the option to turn off the Cellar! I felt Apple forced me to make a choice that I did not want...now or ever. But I wanted the cellar version because many apps require location and having cellar does this with the built-in GPS capabilities. Additionally, if you download directions within a WiFi environment, you can walk out the door and go on the road with the iPad giving directions without WiFi or Cellar being on. But even though I signed up for T-Mobile, in a year after not using the cellar plan, I will have to do the process all over again! That is because T-Mobile says if I don't use the cellar within a year they will delete my account...long answer...and Apple could have spared these frustrations by not requiring a mandated Cellar sign-up... just the way they did previously when you did not have to choose and there was an opt out button! I suspect Apple was paid to do it the new commercial way! Good luck friend, Bill

Most reactions